• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

?? which year chassis

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Finally got home a Gen2 chassis that I got for free (wohoo!) and am curious how to determine what year the bulkhead is. (Chassis has a tunnel fom an Edge swapped to it.) Not that there will be a whole lot of stuff stock when I get it done.

I know it has the straight not tipped in trailing arms, but what else distinguishes what year it is? I saw part of a number stamped on the bulkhead below where the motor sat, but didn't really look close to see what it said yet. There was no title with the sled. Just wanting to find out in case there's something I might need that is dealer-specific as far as the front end is concerned and for when I have to apply for a new title down the road. Thanks for the help!

T
Dec 25, 2007
Yeah, the number on the bulkhead is the only true way to tell on something that has been as completely rebuilt as that thing sounds. Have a dealer run the number if it doesn't clue you in by itself...either that or they should be able to tell you when you apply for a title (as long as you have the VIN #).

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
the bulkhead is the same from 97-01, so that won't tell you. sounds like a home build. so the year doesn't really matter and there is no way to really tell w/o the original tunnel

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
97 bulkhead is different... the holes that the steering pivots mount throw are smaller on the 97 than on 98 and newer. There are also a couple of additional little gussets added to the 98 and newer bulkhead down around the shock tower areas.

98 on are pretty much identical though.

The bellypan mounts different (just the location of the holes) that are drilled in a GenII vrs the Wedge Indy. If you look in there and see holes that haven't been used to mount the current bellypan that would be in indication that it is either a 97 or 98. 97-00 except for the 2000 800 were still outboard trailing arms so that won't help you much.

And if it is a flatland bulkhead from like the XCR or something then the cooler holes for the center cooler are in a different location.

If you can pull that whole number of the bulkhead you might be able to narrow it to one of a couple of years althrough Polaris isn't listing the 98-99 bulkhead any more on their parts fische.

Ultimately, other than the steering pivot size on the 97, the bulkheads are all pretty well interchangeable so you shouldn't have any issues with fitment of anything.

sled_guy

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I thought you said it had straight trailing arms... that picture has tipped in trailing arms. '00 or '01 chassis. If that is the original bellypan then its an '01.

Those look like 01 snow check front shocks too.

So I'm betting its an '01.

sled_guy

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
01 800 for sure if pan is correct.

Last edited:

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
I was thinking "tipped in" meant the spindles were closer to each other at the top by the steering arm than down at the ski...Bellypan is original near as I can tell.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Thats probably the stock tunnel for that sled actually. It appears to be a 01 anyway, those were pretty similar to the 02 and early 03 edge tunnels. It just may not have a tag on it if it has been replaced. The one on my 03 doesnt have a tag on it, just a vin. Meaning its been replaced at one point and time.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
There's no tag, but there is a number stamped (like an old dot-matrix computer printer) on the right side of tunnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Thats the Vin. The tunnel had been dealer replaced.

The Vin will also tell you the year of the sled.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
I'll try to get the number off there tommorow, till then it's ZZZ for me. Thanks for all the info X2!

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Number I found on bulkhead is 5244081 REV 1

Number etched on RH tunnel 4XASM8BSX1C153325

Bulkhead has HRP drop and roll installed. Jackshaft is relocated inside tunnel. Jackshaft bearing failed on clutch side and damaged D&R plate on that side. Will have to remove and duplicate plate as HRP is not making these anymore, correct?

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Number I found on bulkhead is 5244081 REV 1

Number etched on RH tunnel 4XASM8BSX1C153325

Bulkhead has HRP drop and roll installed. Jackshaft is relocated inside tunnel. Jackshaft bearing failed on clutch side and damaged D&R plate on that side. Will have to remove and duplicate plate as HRP is not making these anymore, correct?

That would be a 01 tunnel according to the vin.

Your right in saying that HRP no longer makes the kit.

I think member Ryanlilly has a template he is willing to share. May want to PM him and see if he still has it.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Thanks once again, X2! I'll shoot him a PM on the template. It looks like there might be enough of the bearing flange left to make a template (the bolts are still there, but the flange is wore in one direction past the part of the the flange that hold the spherical outer race of the bearing. ) But having a fresh pattern would be better.

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
I responded to your PM, my template is for an edge and keeps the jackshaft above the tunnel. How bad is the template damaged? Throw up a pic, might be able to repair it?

Premium Features