• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

i think im going to turbo my ski doo 1000!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
hi guys, as title says, im going to do er up, i ride mountain, and thinking of 6 pounds boost, now i know the stuff i need and so on,im getting already fabricated tubing that fits right in, ill be getting a efi control box that adjusts with boost, i already have a koso dual egt gauge with fast responding probes, basically the whole works, the only thing i am missing would be a TURBO and i will need to get domes and have them milled out,

i am curious on what turbo size i should get, i was told a T3 flange for best airflow, but how would a 2860 do? or 2871? was told the 3071 i think it is, is too big, i do tree riding usually with the ocasional hills, i plan to run for now with out a intercooler then more then likely later on throw one in,

so any tips on turbo size i should look for? im looking at about 6 pounds boost on pump gas, thanks guys!

also the sleds a 2005 Ski doo 1000, ive done mods to it, ground mod, inline thermostat, and stuff like that, 2007 mapping update, all them goodies, Thanks!

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
6 pounds is a wash.........

tell him gus

winters on the way

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
I bet we would all get a big laugh ,,,

dyno runs at 6psi.

just swapping the 3076 to a 3082 made huge power and response gains..
so going backwards to a 2860 would ???? NOT even make 220 hp at 12 psi..

tried this..
250/300 vatn, on 900 cc ...18 psi to make 200 hp,, base engine made 166hp no turbo... 2860 is less flow than that little french tickler.. you can figure the rest out..

why would stanger be using bigger compressors ?? to get a big bog?? or because HE / I are correct and you have BETTER response ??

You get it ?

Gus tapo

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
hi guys, as title says, im going to do er up, i ride mountain, and thinking of 6 pounds boost, now i know the stuff i need and so on,im getting already fabricated tubing that fits right in, ill be getting a efi control box that adjusts with boost, i already have a koso dual egt gauge with fast responding probes, basically the whole works, the only thing i am missing would be a TURBO and i will need to get domes and have them milled out,

i am curious on what turbo size i should get, i was told a T3 flange for best airflow, but how would a 2860 do? or 2871? was told the 3071 i think it is, is too big, i do tree riding usually with the ocasional hills, i plan to run for now with out a intercooler then more then likely later on throw one in,

so any tips on turbo size i should look for? im looking at about 6 pounds boost on pump gas, thanks guys!

also the sleds a 2005 Ski doo 1000, ive done mods to it, ground mod, inline thermostat, and stuff like that, 2007 mapping update, all them goodies, Thanks!

If you can't make it run normally aspirated, why on earth do you think you can make it run on boost?!?!?

G
Apr 23, 2008
Lets make a deal ??

Someone,anyone. send me a 2860 before the first of sept.
We will install and do a comparison at dynotech on the RT.

We will be there early sept wth the RT turbo, 1080 polaris HTG triple Wth, turbo and hope fully a special guest billet engine.

Jimmy will put results up for all to see..

sound fair ? I know there are those who still think little turbos make quick response and MAKE power... lets prove them or me wrong !!!!!

Gus

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Lets make a deal ??

Someone,anyone. send me a 2860 before the first of sept.
We will install and do a comparison at dynotech on the RT.

We will be there early sept wth the RT turbo, 1080 polaris HTG triple Wth, turbo and hope fully a special guest billet engine.

Jimmy will put results up for all to see..

sound fair ? I know there are those who still think little turbos make quick response and MAKE power... lets prove them or me wrong !!!!!

Gus

haha
Its almost worth buying one to let you prove this on paper once and for all, even though anyone disagreeing with the top turbo builders is retreaded anyway.
Someone please send gus a 2860!!!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
funny guys, funny, i know gus bohne is the guy who does the crazy stuff with the 1000's something like 40 pounds boost?

i came here to ask for suggestions, so, your saying a 2860 too small same with 2071, and so i should get atleast a 3071 then? i mean seriously RECOMMEND me a turbo! i ride mountain, i want this sled to last atleast 2 winters or 3 on a turbo, not got 1 winter then rebuild, i really dont know how much boost i can pump out and be safe, i figured 6 pounds or so should be great,

i was also told that the stock injectors setup does about 12 pounds boost easy with out additional injectors??

G
Apr 23, 2008
a 3076 is my fav for low boost all around 1000 cc riding. boost in by 3800 rpm.

if you are buying NEW,, get a 3082 .86 and smile all the way..boost in by 2800-3000 rpm.

funny,, ya.. we'ss jusss having fun..

Gus

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
a 3076 is my fav for low boost all around 1000 cc riding. boost in by 3800 rpm.

if you are buying NEW,, get a 3082 .86 and smile all the way..boost in by 2800-3000 rpm.

funny,, ya.. we'ss jusss having fun..

Gus

alright, thanks, ill shoot for the 3078 or 3082, also i was told T3 flange right? or what are some other flanges you would recommend? i know theres like T28 or something? also was told to go for ball bearing rather then the "float" or what ever it was called, i dont know a wholeee lot about turbo's,

and basically my goal is, is to make this sled have more power and still last a while, and go about i'd hope 90 km or 110 km to the tank of riding per day, last winter i did about 1300 km, so i wast hinking 6 pounds boost should make it so i dont have to redo the engine for atleast 2-3 years, but i could be wrong, what would you recommend for boost? not sure if 6 is good or if i should do 8 or 10? but like i said, keep in mind i want to not have to throw new pistons and a rebuilt crank in every year....., thanks! and do greatly appreciate all the help and information!

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
If you get some oil in the tank,, your good for yrs without issues at all 18 psi an under...

wth a 3082 you will have a little over 300 hp @ 10 psi.

double up the reed petals please..

Gus

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
yeah i plan to double the reeds up, so your saying i could easily sustain 10 psi? im running it at, atleast what i think, i had the dealer richen her up, but should be around 30:1 or maybe a little more like 28:1, not sure, but she dont use up much oil so it would not hurt to even crank it up a bit more to make sure shes well lubed on the crank and all that,

do you think that it would eat up a ton of fuel at 10 psi? or should i be able to go for my trips that are sometimes 110 kms and not worry? i guess its always about how much your on the boost and such,

also will the stock high pressure pump work fine? or will i need to throw in a different high pressure pump?, thanks again!

G
Apr 23, 2008
U need to preminx some oil in every tank,, the stock system doesnot inject oil into the base, ONLY into the transfers thru those poorly designed SDI systems.

I suggest you t the line from the oil pump and add some nipples to your throttle bodies to inject oil..save your money do it right...no bottom end issues.

you dont run 10 psi all the time.. turn it down when you dont need it..

replace the stock PUMPS with a good intank carb pickup from a rev and use a nice little MSD inline extrernal pump.. stock stuff is problematic why deal with it...think ahead not along with......

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
U need to preminx some oil in every tank,, the stock system doesnot inject oil into the base, ONLY into the transfers thru those poorly designed SDI systems.

I suggest you t the line from the oil pump and add some nipples to your throttle bodies to inject oil..save your money do it right...no bottom end issues.

you dont run 10 psi all the time.. turn it down when you dont need it..

replace the stock PUMPS with a good intank carb pickup from a rev and use a nice little MSD inline extrernal pump.. stock stuff is problematic why deal with it...think ahead not along with......

yeah i got rid of stock facet pump, put in a chevy truck lift pump or fuel pump, ive done many mods to the sled, but it wouldnt hurt to also put some oil in with the fuel too, for extra precaution

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
anybody know where you can get cheap ball bearing turbo's, ebay only shows basically top brands like gerette or what ever its called, stuffs expensive ha ha!

Last edited:

revx827

Lifetime Membership
Jun 27, 2009
floatingqrs.com
How much hp can the tra5 take? I see the 1200 guys having issues at 180hp.
Thinkin of starting a 2stroke turbo project myself.
Do you really want a "cheap" turbo? I say spend the $$ and get a garret.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
anybody know where you can get cheap ball bearing turbo's, ebay only shows basically top brands like gerette or what ever its called, stuffs expensive ha ha!

You're kidding right? ............

Here is my analogy to see if one is ready play in the turbo world.....

Go to the bank and take out $1000 bux in $100.00 bills. Take that stack of hundreds and one by one light it on fire and watch it burn. When that stack of hundreds is gone and if you aren't crying........then you're ready to play with the big boyz in the turbo world!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
You're kidding right? ............

Here is my analogy to see if one is ready play in the turbo world.....

Go to the bank and take out $1000 bux in $100.00 bills. Take that stack of hundreds and one by one light it on fire and watch it burn. When that stack of hundreds is gone and if you aren't crying........then you're ready to play with the big boyz in the turbo world!

ha ha, well i was hoping this would be cheaper, but i guess its going to be a 200$ more job, but i suppose thats alright :) what do you guys think of this turbo? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GT3071R-BALL...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1d4245b1 it says 3071 but its descriptions saying 3076

i have yet to go through college and so im not makign the big bucks yet like some guys :p

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
probably internal, a more simpler type of way to control boost, also at that i hear internals spool better or something like that???, that turbo there i dont think is a cheap chinese one, says bronze bearings and was reading up that "bronze" bearings are like a upgrade or something like that as to the standard bearings? but i could be wrong on reading stuff ha ha,

but yeah running like 6-8 pounds boost max, gus saying the 3076 is what i need so trying for that, ball bearing is what im going to have to go for, so that seems like a pretty good deal to me,

Premium Features