• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twisted turbo

J
Dec 15, 2007
Troy, MT
Shains kit is 2nd to none. You will not be disapointed. His customer relations are also top notch. When you call he will anwser! You can reach him at

John Orr

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Shains kit is 2nd to none. You will not be disapointed. His customer relations are also top notch. When you call he will anwser! You can reach him at

John Orr

Shain just helped us with a M7. It was not his kit or his problem. He bent over backwards to help and answer questions. Yes he answered when a phone call was made. I dont know how he gets anything accomplished in the shop, he has to be on the phone all day.

Customer service like that, you cant find everyday! If I need anything Shain has my business...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Shane and Lyles kit for the Polaris looks promising... design outsidee of the box....

Using the BOV as an idle/vacuum air supply is an interesting approach to the extremely low volume charge tube/box assy.

I'll be interested to see the long term performance of the prototype units that twisted has out there with some reporting on the tuning process, engine internals, oiling & premix setup etc...

New products are always a plus for the consumer... pushes development across the board!

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I got to ride Shains turbo dragon for a few hours monday afternoon, the sled rocks!! This is gonna be a very popular kit.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Utah
I really do like the innovation of the twisted kit, but my one gripe with it is having to premix the fuel. I know how dumb that sounds but honestly the ease of pulling up to a pump and just fueling up is so nice, I'm not sure its something I could go without.

Needless to say I would really really like to get a chance at riding one of the twisted set-ups this winter!

Dunatic: Where did you get the chance to ride Shains sled? Do you know if he will be around in Utah at any point?

Dunatic

Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I really do like the innovation of the twisted kit, but my one gripe with it is having to premix the fuel. I know how dumb that sounds but honestly the ease of pulling up to a pump and just fueling up is so nice, I'm not sure its something I could go without.

Needless to say I would really really like to get a chance at riding one of the twisted set-ups this winter!

Dunatic: Where did you get the chance to ride Shains sled? Do you know if he will be around in Utah at any point?

It's really not that tough to premix, I used 2 - 6 gallon gas cans last year, instead of pouring the oil in the sled, I just dumped it in the gas can using a ratio rite cup, and then filled the cans. not that tough....

Shain took me up to the Uintahs on monday, he needed to go up and test/tune some sleds. He lives in Ogden, and I know he would be happy to take you for a ride anytime, just call him.

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
update on the twisted d8 i have put 600 miles on at 15 #s of boost with not one reed failure or oiling problem ,I have worked the sled extremely hard trying to hurt it and I have to say it starts first or second pull every time it has not had to be towed not once.
Yesterday it pulled a couple chutes that the m10 turbo would not pull in fair ness to the m1000 it has a stock skid and my d8 has a kmod with 174:)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Shane .... sounds great. Post up some pix here. Lets have a look at that sukka!

How many of these kits are out there in Customers hands?
Any of those kits "customer installed"?

At 15 lbs of boost, what fuel are you running?
What cyl head and CR are you running?
How is that working for low end throttle response before it gets into boost? [ie low speed maneuvering in the trees]

Any details on your reed valve setup?

Is that Lyles sled you are talking about with the 600 miles on it or do you have your own?

John, Have you put some days/weeks on your own TD-8-Twisted yet?

John Orr

Last edited:
M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
update on the twisted d8 i have put 600 miles on at 15 #s of boost with not one reed failure or oiling problem ,I have worked the sled extremely hard trying to hurt it and I have to say it starts first or second pull every time it has not had to be towed not once.
Yesterday it pulled a couple chutes that the m10 turbo would not pull in fair ness to the m1000 it has a stock skid and my d8 has a kmod with 174:)

This is on the 2010 original polaris map? Have any teaser vids of the chutes?:)

Dunatic

Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
Duner... Did you snap some good pix?

I got a few good pics, I didn't get any of the sled, motor, etc...

_CLP3262.jpg

_CLP3309.jpg

_CLP3316.jpg

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
Shane .... sounds great. Post up some pix here. Lets have a look at that sukka!

How many of these kits are out there in Customers hands?
Any of those kits "customer installed"?

At 15 lbs of boost, what fuel are you running?
What cyl head and CR are you running?
How is that working for low end throttle response before it gets into boost? [ie low speed maneuvering in the trees]

Any details on your reed valve setup?

Is that Lyles sled you are talking about with the 600 miles on it or do you have your own?

John, Have you put some days/weeks on your own TD-8-Twisted yet?

there are 8 out there right now 4 installed in house one installed in canada and 3 installed by customers after this week there will be 4 more.
stock reeds,my sled lyle is riding m1000,I am running the 10 map and head just like it comes from polaris,I am going to port it next.and Im running 112 sunoco

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Shane,

Good info...

Some questions on your kit for me and other potential buyers of your kit.

1) Boost levels: You mention 15lbs... which is what you are all about.. max power... but I'd like to run on straight 100LL... How many lower level boost kits have left your door? (8-10lbs)

2) Charge Temps: What charge temps are you seeing?
They gotta be pretty high at 15 lbs and no intercooler...

3) Stock reeds: Have you had any reeds out for inspection that have more than 500 miles on them? (pics)

4) Intake: Did you and Paul work out a fresh air intake that is plumbed into the system?

5) BOV: Since this is also the Idle/off-boost air supply in your system... Did you come up with a filter for this to keep belt dust and underhood dirt/water out of the engine?

6) Exhaust: what are your exhaust outlet options...Is it straight side panel outlet or are there quieter options available? (pics)

7) Controller: Has Derek been able to get you the attitude boxes on time?
Do you have your own Dobek programmer to "tweak" the setups from attitude?
Has Derek been out riding with you to tune these for more than a couple of hours?

8) Sled models: Will you have options for the CFi 700? [what turbo are you using Eg GT2860.. ]

Bud said that Amber's M-1000 rips with your kit in it... He sure did make the TT kit look good with that super clean install.

Sounds promising. I'll be looking closer at your kit after the long term testing is done for a turbo project next season on the new chassis.

I'm interested in hearing the customer reports on the longer term for this turbo kit... after say 1000-1500 miles.

PICS.... WE need pics of your latest install on the Polaris.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Duner... NICE PIX!! ...New laptop wallpaper material!

Shane,
As far as the intake goes... having a CLEAN LOOKING cold air intake as opposed to a "snorkel" type intake will make a Big difference in me or other consumers buying your kit.

I really hope that you are able to work well with FNI (Paul) on this and come up with something as clean as he has developed for HM turbos, SPS etc...

The exhaust noise and exit location are also another big consideration for the purchase for me. An out the tunnel exhaust would be ideal with a muffler as well... I plan to ride Co with the sled and a straight side exhaust is not an option... as well as the fact that I detest sleds that are, avoidably, too loud.

Many potential Turbo buyers share this view.

Last edited:
P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
the exaust goes out the stock hole and has a quiet muffler on it all the kits will run from 4 to as much as you dare all my customers are running 8 to 10 on 100 ll except 1 is running 7 on 91

Premium Features