• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Completely unsubstanciated rumor...

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
$14,000 USD factory sled..............oh happy day......:(

Etec is only a true winner with people that like easy start sleds, no smoke, and dont like to buy oil. Outside of that its a no bueno deal.

The 600 has a something like a 1200 W stator........ :confused:

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
Remember this, it takes fuel to make horsepower. Sustainable BSFC numbers havent really been lowered much with injection in the upper reaches of power output. That means for those of us that go out and work our machines, the fuel consumption will be very similar. What the etec system does do is control fuel delivery in the lower rpm zones, so cruising down the trail it will show better economy. Not at all important to me...

Jake

Last edited:
T
Nov 30, 2007
One of the reasons it hasn't been out sooner is that they can't (or at least, couldn't) get enough fuel through the current generation of injectors. It was pushing it getting enough fuel for the ~120hp 600.

Throw a turbo on it, and you'll have to add some kind of extra injection. The stock ones just won't flow enough, there's not enough time.

This statement isn't true I was talking to a BRP engineer about the etec system and specifically an 800 etec (as I was considering snowchecking a new sled and wanted an 800 etec) I brought up the inability to flow enough fuel for an 800 and he said that wasn't what was holding them back from bringing it out they can flow significantly more fuel through the injectors than they are now. The 800 etec is already out there for validation testing and were seen on the trails in Quebec last winter already, the only reason why it wasn't released this spring is pure economics.

T

tinman800

Dec 16, 2007
It would be bad for the dealers that still have substantial carry over sleds from the last year or 2 to release it before they had an oppertunity to sell the carry over sleds. If there was a mid season release it will probably wouldn't be very many. I heard it was slightly low on horse power than the current "R" motor but they were trying to bring it up after the numbers cat posted with there new 800.

It would be nice for skidoo to get a bigger chunk of the turbo market if the aftermarket guys can get the fuelling dialed.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
This statement isn't true I was talking to a BRP engineer about the etec system and specifically an 800 etec (as I was considering snowchecking a new sled and wanted an 800 etec) I brought up the inability to flow enough fuel for an 800 and he said that wasn't what was holding them back from bringing it out they can flow significantly more fuel through the injectors than they are now. The 800 etec is already out there for validation testing and were seen on the trails in Quebec last winter already, the only reason why it wasn't released this spring is pure economics.

They may have fixed the problem then. That used to be the problem. I was on the Clean Snowmobile team and the University of Idaho when we were putting these injectors on the 600 Rotax motor (~2-3 years before Ski-Doo released it) and that was one of our biggest problems.

They have had a few years to work on it, so they have probably found a solution to that problem.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
When it comes down to it anything can be done and a turbo etec is inevitable. The 800 etec is out there and if economics is a factor in its not being released then maybe a limited snow check for next season. They should have done that this season to see the response from potential customers of the etec 800. I know the economy over all is bad but people are still spending money on toys. Look at yamaha squeezing their customers anywhere from 14500-16000 bucks for a new mountain sled + tax and the other costs!! I know some of the yamaha dealers are selling a hell of a lot of turbo kits for the high priced mountain machines as well, a lot! People for the most part don't get into snowmobiling because its a cheap sport and the etec, in my opinion, would sell like hot cakes. I personaly would not get one for the first couple of years as I like to see the bugs get worked out first but after a couple years I would buy one for sure.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It would be nice for skidoo to get a bigger chunk of the turbo market if the aftermarket guys can get the fuelling dialed.
BRP sure has the technology side though, just look at what they have done with the 2 stroke engines in their watercraft.

H

HPJUNKIE

Nov 5, 2003
The 800 E-Tec was supposedly making almost 175hp with big throttle bodies to move the air , but once the bean counters were done it dropped 20hp with smaller throttle bories!

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Remember this, it takes fuel to make horsepower. Sustainable BSFC numbers havent really been lowered much with injection in the upper reaches of power output. That means for those of us that go out and work our machines, the fuel consumption will be very similar. What the etec system does do is control fuel delivery in the lower rpm zones, so cruising down the trail it will show better economy. Not at all important to me...

Jake

So, this due to the High RPM, and limited time to inject? So, a lot of the gas still goes out the exhaust???

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
A guy smarter than me said last spring that the 800 E-Tec would be out mid-season.

A guy much much smarter than me said they would be a real pain to turbo or add any other mods that need more fuel.

T
Nov 30, 2007
Amen to that Portgrinder.....DI and new fuel injection systems are going to be the single biggest challenge to aftermarket performance companies in the future. They are getting more complex by the day and harder to crack reliably...that being said you have to hand it to companies like boondocker and dynojet, and to a lesser extent Dobeck for being able to crack these injection systems, and you know they will be working hard to build controllers for new DI systems. I have heard rumours that Dynojet is very close to coming out with a controller for the 600 etec at this point.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
You can bet DynoJet will have the ETEC figured out pretty soon, they make great products. Their Power Commander V just came out, looks to be really nice. Wouldn't be surprised to see it come out for sleds.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Premium Features