• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 d8 tunnel repair advice

B
Sep 24, 2008
MILTON, WI
Looking for advice on how to straighten tunnel on a 09 D8 163. Dealer dropped it off the truck while delivering. Only the left side (or the left heat exchanger) of the tunnel is tweaked. Best idea i have so far is (maybe using light heat around the kinked area) placing two boards on top/bottom of affected area and then applying force to the two boards to hopefully compress/force back into shape.

2009 D8 163 006.jpg 2009 D8 163 001.jpg 2009 D8 163 002.jpg 2009 D8 163 003.jpg 2009 D8 163 009.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Looking for advice on how to straighten tunnel on a 09 D8 163. Dealer dropped it off the truck while delivering. Only the left side (or the left heat exchanger) of the tunnel is tweaked. Best idea i have so far is (maybe using light heat around the kinked area) placing two boards on top/bottom of affected area and then applying force to the two boards to hopefully compress/force back into shape.

to unbend metal...carefully determine from what direction the impact entered it..and traveled..then apply pressure in the oposite direction and slowly work the damage out..starting at the last area damaged and working back toward the original impact spot..if you do it carefully it will return to pre impact shape with almost no sign of damage..normally you tie the sled down apply pressure(portapower or winch) and slowly work it with hammer and dollies(best thing you could do is take it to the best body shop around(preferably with an old old true bodyman and ask him to straighten it for you)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
what might work for getting the banana out of the tunnel and coolers is to pull rear skid..take a floor jack with a 2*12 about a foot long on it and sit it right on the center of the tunnel bend..then take a chain and run over the top of the tunnel - under the jack frame and over the other side of the tunnel(using 2#12 cut to length to protect the tunnel from the chain..slowly apply jack pressure and it wills straighten it right up....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
your dealers going to be gettin you a new tunnel right? if not i'd be pissed!

jk, he had a post on here the other day..he got the sled dirt cheap because they dropped it...like 6500..and it wasnt his to begin with...he just got a deal on a wrecked sled

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
for 6500 your a lucky man... good luck bending it out

I could fix that tunnel pretty easy..it really isnt that bad..but it has to be done the right way or it will be weaker and will show damage..he needs a really good old time body guy...

B
Sep 24, 2008
MILTON, WI
Thanks for the post, I'll start looking for a ole timer body guy. I'm actually a different guy then the one who was going to buy one for $6500 (i got a better deal then that if you can believe it). Must be a rash of dealers dropping them this year as the salvage place i bought this at had two of them. And yes they are both sold and did so in 2 days.

I'm also looking for 2009 163 rails as those were bent when they dropped it as well.

Thanks again for the advice

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Thanks for the post, I'll start looking for a ole timer body guy. I'm actually a different guy then the one who was going to buy one for $6500 (i got a better deal then that if you can believe it). Must be a rash of dealers dropping them this year as the salvage place i bought this at had two of them. And yes they are both sold and did so in 2 days.

I'm also looking for 2009 163 rails as those were bent when they dropped it as well.

Thanks again for the advice

cool deal ..would love to find one like that..as for the rails..hit up iceage manufacturing..their rails are lighter and stronger and pretty cheap..I think it is about 125 a rail....as for the tunnel work..a old time body guy can easily fix that and most wouldnt be able to tell it ever took a hit...otherwise..a Van Amberg tunnel would look sweet on that

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Yep..contact Mike at Ice Age MFG...just picked up a set of his for my 08 155....they look sweet, price was right and he is great to deal with:D:D

I would love to have a set of his rails to go on my new holz skid..but am way over what I budgetted for the sled for now...besides I think if things work out right ..Carls might just get a phone call on a 860 kit when taxes are done.......

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
Under $6500 for a new sled with a damaged tunnel and rails sounds like a steal. Like the other guys said, go with the ice age rails and maybe even pick up a new tunnel if you can't fix that one.

Does CR racing make one for the Dragon? I really like the look of their tunnels. Good luck with your project!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
$800 dollars and you will have an upgrade if you are good with tools....

CR Racing tunnel side kit and running board upgrade...

Once you look at the cost of the mandatory upgrade of better boards [or similar] on the running boards the tunnel mod is not that bad for price...

Once you have the sides off the roof of the tunnel would be pretty easy to straighten as pointed out above and the CR sides would help to reinforce it... The CR sides are made from .080 aluminum... the stocker is from .063"..

PLUS

you get a trick look...wider running boards, drop some wieght too....

They could anodize these as well (for an up charge) and have some wicked colors.
Your sled would certainly stand out in the crowd.

It's good to see that Chad decided to make this tunnel addition that uses the stock tunnel roof... I sent him and Ted at TerraAlps concept drawings of this mod 2 seasons ago....no interested at the time... hope to see more tunnel mods like this out there... no need to re-invent the wheel.... [Hint... Hint... VE and Ted]

CR Racings stuff is TOP NOTCH and Chad is a great guy to deal with!!

From CR Racing Website:
This is the new replacement running boards for the dragons. It allows your full boot to fit in the running board and utilizes the factory cooler. Made from T6061 .080" material to provide the strength you need.

Link to CR Racing: http://crracingcanada.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=45_52&products_id=329

Dragontunnelsides.jpg

This Pic shows the CR Tunnel sides installed on a stock Dragon Tunnel Roof... Thanks SKRAT!
l_bcab3f60cf25404da95e6c5a27a99704.jpg

Here is an example of one of their powdercoated tunnels... the sides would look wicked in this color or White/black like darkos Nitro!! (the Powder coating will help keep snow from sicking too!

DragonTunnelREd.jpg

Darkos (EX) Nytro... Saaaweeet! The white with Black trim would look great on the new white Dragon!!

darkonytro3qy0.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features