• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1st Annual 4th of July Westwood Grass Drags 2008

King o the Hill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Long Beach, Ca
www.teamsummit.net
I gotta tell ya anybody who knows me knows I am a HARDCORE Cat fan but Chad proved himself to be quite the supertuner. With remarkable consistency in the 330' at around 4.24 secs Tyler a buddy of Chads (Chester Mountain Sports CMS) took top honors on a SkiDoo and the X's represented for sure. Tony Sallaberry took second place honors retaining Cats hold in a placement on a 162" with amazing speeds posted for no setup time or notice. Jesse rocked on his new ride and met a host of awesome peeps. I sucked :( couldn't get dialed but what a blast! Highly encourage anybody interested in tryin it to give it a whirl next year. Please feel free to browse the album http://photobucket.com/WestwoodGrassDrags2008 and see the fun and casual atmosphere....very loosely regimented (made for a blast!) Thanks to Mike Visi for filming in HD and his 2nd in command for helping with these photos. Love to see more out next year! Thanks again Chad and Sean for an AWESOME day

Respectively 1 and 2 place winners (BTW not in this race kind of a coincidence)
IMGP1020.jpg

An AWESOME job by Chad aka Piddles and Sean of the Westwood CoC for a last minute show lemmee tell ya the locals loved this event
IMGP0962.jpg

The Track.... light tree and all
IMGP0999.jpg

Even pumpkins growing in the grass LOL
IMGP0952.jpg

This proved to be the race of the day Jesse and Tony and it was CLOSE

IMGP1036.jpg

With NO SHORTAGE of Team Summit (NorCal Posse) presence :face-icon-small-win
IMGP1009.jpg

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
The environment at Chester California sure is nice !!!

If I can only get the wife to move !!!

Don

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
WTF? How come no one posted it on here, or did I just miss it?

Coulda brought the 1200 out to play along with the new addtion to the sled lineup!!!!

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Yeah, Jesse got a new sled; so did Shane. They bought the race sleds from the Sharp Brothers in WA that they ran last year on the RMSHA circuit. Both sleds were in th top 3 for all the Master Classes in RMSHA last season. Trygstad 800 race motors in the XP.

King o the Hill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Long Beach, Ca
www.teamsummit.net
well without any more guessing....I got word of it through a heard about heard about and kinda file 13'd it until Anthony was checking out my back on Thursday a.m., mentioned "they were talking about it", I called Sallaberry asked him what he was doing for Saturday as all my plans went in the sh1tter and told him I heard they were having some grass drags somewhere between here and Susanville do you want to go "watch"...(this was Thursday late PM BTW)...he said WATCH....lets race!, so as the story goes I called Piddles who said they (Westwood) put it together last minute because of a lumberjack event being cancelled then told us "yeah gotta be there by 11:00" I literally loaded up Friday night (late) with my sled (which the last time I even looked at it was after Elko) can imagine how well I did.....and thats how we rolled. I would have loved to seen more folks there believe me...and for those who are itching to get the word for next year.....same bat time same bat channel....I know I will be there ready this time!

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Sorry that no one posted anything about it on here. Sean Gunn who organized the event only decided to have it less than two weeks ago. We just heard about it a week ago and were not sure it would happen. Chadd found the tree and the rest of the lighting this week. It was a last minute deal for everyone. Next year will be alot more organized

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I knew about it and didn't even go. I didn't realize it was going to be that big of a deal......guess I was wrong. Looks like they did a great job of putting it on; would like to go next year, although hope it is on a different weekend than the 4th.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
There must some awfully wonderful people in that part of the world in order to let grass drags take place in a residential neighborhood. Good To See!!! :)

Neigborhood?.........that was the whole town......LOL

Nah it's actually got 6 or 7 streets in it.... it was a very nice event.....very small town type of deal. There was a parade(smaller than Elko's) just before the races.

The racing was definitely low key and slow paced. The folks putting on the race were very tuned in to taking plenty of time to keep the sleds cooled down. The sleds showed up were ordinary trail sleds just off the snow.

Puddles did a great job. His behive posse did a great job staying consistant. That is what it took to win. Most all of us had the same problem with traction. Showing up to a grass race with paddle tracks is like showing up to a mud bog with drag slicks........but it made for some entertaining moments.

The racing was different in that you could line up with any one you wanted. It was all about combining your two best times of the last three runs for score, instead of beating your way out to the end of the brackets. Very low key indeed!

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Nice. Do you know how much $$$?

Did Shane race at the Grass Drags?

Shane was out fighting fires.(Thank you Shane!) But the Chester crew stood in for him really well.

The entry was 30.00 and they paid back 66% plus some nice prizes. Really generous!.................. For that kind of fun they could have kept the money for next year's event and bought us a dairy queen sunday and we would have been happy.

I would do this format again in a heartbeat........it was a ton of fun and made for an "easy to keep track" event. It was kinda like combining a radar run with a heads up drag event.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I enjoyed the nice laid back atmosphere there while visiting last month.

Wanted to head out of town going east and drop down the 395 but had to go by Sweco for some parts.

Really excited to know you can ride out of town at 4700 elevation. Down here near Bakerfield or even Mammoth Lakes it is common the be at 7000 to unload and all the good snow above 9,000 feet.

You should devote some of the proceeds to anyone hurt in the fire and have someone write an article about your "fundraiser" and submit it to the newspapers.

Last edited:
I talked with Sean this morning and the Chamber is already planning next years event. they want to do Friday night qualifing and saturday finals next year and it will be 100% payback and ALOT more prizes. There are looking at another area to hold with possiably 4 lane of racing and at least a 500 ft track.

Like King said this was thrown together in 2 weeks and It wasn't a deffinet go until friday morning. Plan now for next years 4th of july drags it will be a blast.

Premium Features