• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Eagle River/Anchorage people

T
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River AK
Hey guys. So Im looking for some opinions and information on living in Eagle River. Basically in one year my gf and I will be moving out of the frozen north into the Anch/ER area. Our first choice was Wasilla, Willow or Big Lake, but there is no chance of openings at her job there. Also the commute from the valley is out of the question because of the time and money it would take. So what is housing like there? We dont really want to live in Anchorage but we could if we had to. Is it as bad as I think? Whats driving to and from ER to Anch like? Ive looked some on CL for housing and it seems to buy in ER is pretty spendy. Renting looks the same as well. If all goes well we would be looking at buying something when we moved. Are there any decent lots for sale around that area? We have the ability and knowledge to build something of our own. I would prefer that since we dont need to buy a big house yet. It would be a waste unless we rented a room out. I dont know. What do you guys think about living there. Thanks.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I'd say live as close as possible to your work. The price of fuel is only going up.

I've lived in all three places, I prefer Anchorage. The rush hour traffic gets aggravating at times but overall the good outweighs the bad.
IMO Anchorage trumps Fairbanks in most ways, and I don't like cities.

Good luck

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
The housing market in Eagle River is big seems like! a lot of homes for sale up there but, the demand isnt there. Might get into a house for cheaper than what the sellers are asking. heck, worth a try. I dont live there but with my job they always send me out there.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Ak
It's gonna be spendy no matter where you go in this area. Check out Birchwood, and Chugiak. What about Girdwierd? Sick riding just down the road from there. Good luck :beer;:beer; Oh ya, welcome to south central.

Last edited:
B
Feb 28, 2008
wasilla
i say anchorage!

ive lived in anchorage and moved to wasilla thinking most of my work would move here, bad mistake, the construction business came to a halt so still workin in anchorage. the ride is expensive but faster than it used to be, there is alot less traffic:) now that many people have been carpooling. imo (anchorage) to stay close to work, and if you want a bigger lot for less price with peace and quiet than wasilla is for you. and if wasilla gets snow this year you will have a nice play ground to ride in(hatchers pass) and only 20 min. out of wasilla.:D . whatever you do dont buy a house with oil heating im throwing out 1200 a month to heat my place durimg the winter, thanks to them f**kin oil companies, and our people who we vote for dont do a dam thing about it.

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
Anchorage really isn't all that bad to live in and it's easy to get out of on the weekends. Natural gas is going to be your cheapest heating option for the winter or a heat pump if you are buying or building. This looks like a pretty slick product for Alaska http://www.gotohallowell.com/index.php If you look at the FAQ's, the slick thing about this thing is it pulls heat out of the air at over 200% efficiency even at -30F.

Eagle River can be nice but you want to make sure to look at the place in person before you buy. It's a pain but I would move up and plant to rent for 6 months to 1 year. Then you can get a feel for things, decide where you want to live, and find a place or piece of land that is right for you.

Last edited:
G
Dec 1, 2007
Girdwood, Alaska
It's gonna be spendy no matter where you go in this area. Check out Birchwood, and Chugiak. What about Girdwierd? Sick riding just down the road from there. Good luck :beer;:beer; Oh ya, welcome to south central.

+1 on the Gwood, I love it here. There is no traffic in the morning because it seems no one works haha. It can be spendy for houses.

I would live close to were you work though, you can get some pretty cool places downtown.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Houston ALASKA
i commute from the valley to anchorage and in winter there always seems to be wrecks between eagle river to anchorage. and then there is that damn brke light hill. :mad: i'd just move to anchorage if i was to move.

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Eagle River is a nice place to live. Feels like a small town, but close to Anchorage and not near as busy as Wasilla. Expect to spend at least 100K for a lot worth building on. Good luck!

Jason

Last edited:
Y
Apr 18, 2008
Eagle River, Alaska
I live in Birchwood, and the traffic in the am is brutal in the winter anymore. It use to be get up and go and no traffic problems. This last winter, the highway was backed up to many times and I was late to many times. If you leave about 6 am it's not so bad. We've been out here more than 10 yrs and have never seen the traffic so bad as the last couple of years and it's going to get worse I am afraid. I now experience a back up on the on ramps, which didn't use to be.
I no longer to into Eagle River as I used to. I head to Wasilla instead. Also, my property taxes have risen 10-15% every year since we have the Mayer we have.

Premium Features