• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yooper Lodge in Toivola

D
Jun 1, 2004
Big Lake, Minnesota
I have never been to Michigan and I am coming up there to Toivola at a place called Yooper Lodge the weekend of March 15th. Is this a good place to ride? How is the snow up? I like to get off trail and play around in powder. Are there places to do this up there and get stuck? Just looking to see what people think of the area. Thanks.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Not sure on the lodge, but the area is great for snow, as it runs the spine of the Keweenaw range. If you could I would try to stay @ the Wildlife Cabins in South Range. Lori and Dave are great and do guided back country tours.

F
Dec 14, 2007
Illinois
UP riding

Never stayed at the lodge but have seen it driving past. Looks ok from the road. Have stayed and rode in the area many times. The snow has been fantastic this year. Mid March can go either way depending on the weather. We boondock and ride the power lines and yes you can find enough snow to get stuck when conditions are good. Nice play area near BFH (big f...ing hill) near South Range. Ride the trail north toward South Range and watch to your left for a chain link fence (cemetary?). It is in between the Frieda loop. You will see trails going back toward it. Another nice area is the power line just northwest of the BP station in Twin Lakes. It goes approximately 5-10 miles and pops back out on the trail. The Parkview is a nice place to eat and hang out at night. Hope conditions are good for you.

T
Feb 10, 2008
Normally back country around hear is real good. but last week was terrible for snow, it was like riding on pavement. You can go anywhere but if you are looking to get "stuck" tell me where you found a place

S
Feb 21, 2008
Beautiful Cabin

My parents have a cabin in lanse michigan.UP and the snow is good. Call them up . (906) 524-6508 ask for jim. The riding is good in arvon last time i herd. Deeper than hell. But give them a call, he will tell you all my old riding spots no one rides. I dont ride in michigan any more. I live in wyoming.

C

CuzzinOlaf

Dec 12, 2007
Normally back country around hear is real good. but last week was terrible for snow, it was like riding on pavement. You can go anywhere but if you are looking to get "stuck" tell me where you found a place

The snow is there if you look for it. I was riding in Twin Lakes last weekend and found plenty of untouched powder and rode all day in these conditions. I'd say the best area for deep snow is up towards Mohawk.

Z
Mar 31, 2008
To bad you didn't make it delo!!That pic of keith stuck....It doesnt do justice!I think we where digging him out of there for a good 40min!! But thats half the fun.

tapsboy-I dont know what you ride or where you ride in the U.P. but there is tons of places to get stuck.

And the yooper cabin was a great place to stay at.

Last edited:
Premium Features