• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

X Country races?

Sundance Kid

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2001
Black Hills
Now that snocross is dead or about dead, I sure with cross country would get going again.
Glad to see that USCC is getting some factory support, snow for their races and the entry numbers are going up. Maybe the old Rocky Mountain Cross Country circuit that became Mountain West Racing for snocross can get things going again for the west.

Out of all the racing I did back in the day, cross country was the best!!!
I didn't even have to place well to have fun. It was just a hoot out there bouncing off the bumps and your buddies sled!!! Now that's racing.

M
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah the good old days,high speed,carving corners,bouncing off stumps and trees @ 30mph on a 5'to 6' wide trail with moguls 3' + deep. I miss it,along with the 2-3 days of recovery. There is a race put on by AGC @ West Yellowstone,MT. It starts tomorrow the 31st and Feb 1st 2008,must have a 3 man team if not a member of Associated General Contractors of Idaho. Call
Brian Cunningham @ Moutain River Engeering 208-524-6175 for more info.

B
Nov 6, 2001
IDAHO
Now that snocross is dead or about dead, I sure with cross country would get going again.
Glad to see that USCC is getting some factory support, snow for their races and the entry numbers are going up. Maybe the old Rocky Mountain Cross Country circuit that became Mountain West Racing for snocross can get things going again for the west.

Out of all the racing I did back in the day, cross country was the best!!!
I didn't even have to place well to have fun. It was just a hoot out there bouncing off the bumps and your buddies sled!!! Now that's racing.

I do not forsee that happening, the BLM along with the Forest Service with their permits and the ISR insurance required basically priced us out of the game. Our last race was in Alpine Wy back in 2001 or 2002 maybe it was even 2000 can't remember..but remember it was a SAD day of that last race :( knowing we were done

A
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
Our last one was in 04 and insurance alone was around $1800. It's the most expensive type of racing. Not counting the above mentioned permits and time. Also you hope you did everything according to forest service requirements because they do an inspection the morning of the race. Fueling pit, fire extingusers and we had some racers get tickets for no tabs on race sleds. All fun, as long as you don't have to do it all, right mgexc39???

J
Dec 15, 2007
What was the last year that the Rocky Mountain Circuit held XC races? Man there was a bunch of talent produced in that circuit. Struthers, Hibbert(s), Schelhorn, Lasher(s), Titus, etc...... Those guys were fearless, I heard the races were unreal as far as terrain and deep moguls go. Those were good days.

B
Nov 6, 2001
IDAHO
The terrain we used to race was unreal, Preston Id was the gnarliest, raced on logging roads with wind blown moguls 5-6' deep, your partner would go in and you would lose sight of him and hoped he was cleared out before you landed on him, Driggs Id was awsome for not only terrain but view and of course we can't forget Cooke City, when the weather set in it was like trying to see with a blindfold on............Ahhhhhhhhh those were the days:rolleyes:

M
Dec 5, 2007
Our last one was in 04 and insurance alone was around $1800. It's the most expensive type of racing. Not counting the above mentioned permits and time. Also you hope you did everything according to forest service requirements because they do an inspection the morning of the race. Fueling pit, fire extingusers and we had some racers get tickets for no tabs on race sleds. All fun, as long as you don't have to do it all, right mgexc39???

Yeah, that was alot of work for what a couple hours of racing. It makes for
some good memories and stories. Like one time flying off the down hill jump chasing Curt Calkens and not knowing if I was going to make the corner or jump the berm and land on the roof of the Rescue Rig, luckily I made the corner and the pass.

M
Dec 5, 2007
Or pretending to run out of gas, so that some old fart could win........Or totalling a sled 20 miles into a 300 mile race. The tree just jumped out in front of me.

Oh ya that was it,and the prairie city(summit 300 xc race) that was awsome 30 mile loop figure eight for 60 mile cousre, high speed running @ 100 mph for
3-5 miles hoping your 440 sled would not blow-up. One year I was down to 3rd place and the two front guys pitted for fuel at the 85- 90 miles, I gambled and went past the pits to take the front position,ended up limping in for the win with the last ounce of fuel going through the pick-up line,opened the fuel
cap no fuel in tank. Everyone was like noway, how lucky. Speedo showed 114 miles at race speed on a 98 440 sno-pro.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
At least the 440's would use up all the fuel in the tank. Darn F-6 seemed to leave a couple gallons. At one of your races, I did run out as we loaded into the trailer. Dave finishing the last 30 miles with his rear shock bouncing off the skid. Then there was breaking trail 2 feet of pow with a 440 taped to the bars doin maybe 35 mph. The other Tom tryin to keep from seizeing. Kurt running a mod in the stock. (did I type that out loud??) Good times!!!!

M
Dec 5, 2007
At least the 440's would use up all the fuel in the tank. Darn F-6 seemed to leave a couple gallons. At one of your races, I did run out as we loaded into the trailer. Dave finishing the last 30 miles with his rear shock bouncing off the skid. Then there was breaking trail 2 feet of pow with a 440 taped to the bars doin maybe 35 mph. The other Tom tryin to keep from seizeing. Kurt running a mod in the stock. (did I type that out loud??) Good times!!!!

The f-6 has a smart valve that would not let you use all the fuel in the tank.
The rear shock blown out on a 440 been there. Breaking trail was awsome on the 440 across the clearcuts. Kurt and john saying its all stock,must of been the premium fuel?. Maybe again someday someone will step up and bring back
the XC racing, I am not ready to do it again,would have to have a lot of support from racers and sponsors,who knows never say never.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Or pretending to run out of gas, so that some old fart could win........Or totalling a sled 20 miles into a 300 mile race. The tree just jumped out in front of me.

ah, Tom, it was more like welded into a tree... 300 mile race was a hoot... super rough areas and other places you could run wide open... like the railroad track... only 15 feet wide in places and you ran it at 90 MPH... then there was the Flat Top.. I HAted THE RUNS IN THE TREES.. I WOULD GET ARM PUMP SO BAD...remember the time Brook and I were "lost"... our sleds had broke so we just pulled off to watch and everyone paniced.. sure miss him, he was a great racer and left this World too soon

A
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
Yea your right about Brook helluva guy. How about the time he showed up with a Doo painted green? More good times and memories. Gawd we're gettin old.

Last edited:
Premium Features