• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Hole

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I spent a whole summer down there one month hayin for Dick Hirshey. FREAKIN beautiful country.

But, I know...shame on me. I've never ridden there. Who rides the 'Hole?

Anyone have pics?
I'd love to see it.

Are we gonna get to keep this riding area?

S
Jan 19, 2008
NW Montana
I've been in a lot of the stuff off of Grasshopper valley. Nice meadows to play in up the Blue Creek drainage, but not a whole lot of open hills. I'm sure there is more serious riding over by the ID divide, but I've never had the chance to get there.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
OK, I have ridden on the Crystal Park side a few times. Stayed at the Grasshopper in Polaris.

BUT, I'm talking about the state line stuff.

pauly-doo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
SILVER STAR,MT
the hole

there is some good riding up swamp creek(big hills)twin lakesis good also.i usually go spring riding up swamp creek..

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Slept in a bunk house during that summer I hayed at Heidi Hirshey's on Twin Lakes road (where the road goes through that ranch yard) back in 88.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Shaw, Montana
Slept in a bunk house during that summer I hayed at Heidi Hirshey's on Twin Lakes road (where the road goes through that ranch yard) back in 88.

I know where that is. I bet you are proficient at running a beaver slide...

Polaris is good riding, hot springs are fun. Wise River has good riding. But the state line stuff, only been their once with Fred, big mountains and bowls....

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Might not be too bad this year, used to ride there alot, grew up in Anaconda, and over in the hole... Haven't ridden there in years, used to be fun on the old XLT SKS RMK... Yeah, the line stuff down around Jackson can be spooky, that's where one of snomobiling's legends took his last ride,,,,, rip Shep

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I know what a beaver slide is...and yeah, I know how to run em. BTW, the poles get VERY slippery after you've run quite a few loads through them. They get VERY polished up. Don't try to climb up one in tennis shoes. LOL. You'll be tasting lodgepole in a split second.

RIP Shepard.

G

go high fast

turboshorty brought me there 2 yeas ago in April for my first and only ride there. Take a left a Lookout Pass and head down into Wise River I believe?? Bang a right in town and then another right a couple miles down the rode.

The picture next to my userID is from that day.

The only problem was it was a 16 hour day traveling from Missoula. Next time I think the smart thing to do is make it a 2 day 1 night trip. If I recall, we were looking down on Salmon, ID. at one point. One major area after another.

If you like Crooked Fork, Surveyor/Hoodoo and Lincoln then Big Hole will blow you away. You are totally packing gas and spare belts on this trip. Lincoln x 10.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
I think you mean left at Lost Trail Pass, and hang a right at Wisdom, and head towards Jackson, then off on another right to the riding areas, towards the state line..... if I am not mistaken....

Big country back there, also riding past Wisdom to the left towards the Pintlars,,,,,,, an old area known as Ten mile.... Anyone ever been up to the Sundance Lodge in the winter???

Last edited:
S
Jan 8, 2008
I have a few pics of the Swamp Creek area on myspace http://www.myspace.com/sledbikergurl on my profile page. Unfortunately, I lost my old computer w/ all of my pics from 2004 forward, the ones I have were sent to me by others, or I had them on my computer at work.

There is good riding up there, good to go with someone that knows the area though.

10 mile is in the Pintlar range closer to Wise River and Anaconda. When the lodge (Sundance) was open we use to ride there, once in awhile. The lodge burned down a couple of years ago, & I don't believe it's been rebuilt.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
I thought somethin happened to that place,,,,,, huh

and yeah,,,, that area doesn't look any good at all, too many trees eh!!!!

thanks for the pics...... looks familiar.....

D
Jan 1, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
I ride there twice a week every week. Its lacking snow now and the conditions are as dangerous as ever due to high winds and inconsistant temps and snowfall. I lost a good friend there and nearly my own life in Feb of '07. It's definately not country to be taken lightly.

Avalanche2-17-07004.jpg

Avalanche2-17-07001.jpg

E
Nov 26, 2007
wow, havent' seen that hill in about 12 years, used to ride swamp creek/ ajax, stay at twin lakes, hope to do it again next year. Someone said something about closing it down, the whole area there??

Premium Features