• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Woods and Steele view pics 12/31/2007

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Fantastic photos and great weather....I like the next to last one that shows Lake Cle Elum (yep been there).....

I was standing in those very same spots on Dec. 27th.....Foggy and drifted over so bad, I had to stop every few miles and use the GPS to confirm I was still on the 4510 road......Made the loop all the way around to the N. Fk. Taneum.....Broke a lot of trail thru some real deep drifts.....

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Are there any good play areas up there?

Well, only if you keep it a secret and promise to to tell anyone????????

Due to recent logging, there will be some great areas with a little more snow. The 4510 road has not been punched thru and joins the road that comes out at the N. Fork of the Taneum and then on down to the Taneum campground. Take the 4510 past where these pic's were taken. You'll make a big loop and see hillsides recently logged near Peaches, just north of Quartz Mtn. A quick back to the Woods/Steele Rd. would be to continue on the the "114" road, make a left (north) and it will take you right back to the top where the Woods/Steels hits the Cle Elum Ridge......You didn't hear it from me..........

To show you how the area is not used, I broke trail thru huge drifts on this route Dec. 27th - During Christmas break week, most other areas were all pounded to hell.......

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
Are there any good play areas up there?

I did not include the embarassing pictures of the dig outs. :)

I'll share the information because it is not really a secret. There were people all over the playground.

This is on 4510 after the junction to 111. You come to another junction with 4510 on the left, which loops around, continue to the right on 4510. You come up to the "playground" area, where you can do some jumps and practice hillside riding. That is where these views are.

Keep following 4510 past this area for about 2-3 miles, you come to an area on the left that is great.

We had 5-6 feet of virgin powder on 12/31. Stalled the sled after hitting the kill switch while ducking for a tree branch, but other than that it was awesome. Just don't stop or you get buried in this stuff. There was really no base, powder down to the ground.

Was up there on 12/24 too. Overcast, windy, rainy, cold. Was covered with a sheet of ice when I finished that ride. All the 12/25-12/28 snow did wonders for the area.

If you keep on the 4510 loop, about half way through the loop (7 miles or so) there is a great hillside to the right. You can climb for a long time. Easy to get stuck too. I did not risk this one, I was way too tired after the other areas and darkness was coming.

G
Nov 27, 2007
s cle elum
:):face-icon-small-ton:)some of the better play areas are on the way to quartz mt, once you get past gnat flats there are many side roads and play areas, all the way to quartz, frost meadows has some neet areas, than on the way to quartz you can drop off and go around into the dunes area, out at shoestrings lake comming out on rocky saddle, than down to buck meadows and back on the main road, it can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours depending on how much you play........been riding that area for about 15 years, still find new areas.........I live on the 3350 road, so we ride right from home.................

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Moonman? He tagged along on one of my 1st trips into this area. So many years ago I was riding a Yam SRV....We tried to get to Whistlin' Jack and never found the way.....Good thing, I had a 7 gallon tank, rode onto the trailer, stopped to fuel up and it took 7.0 gal....Scott was riding some kind of borrowed shop sled that day that ended upside down once.....He talked about some area called "the dunes" but didn't know where they were.....I still haven't found them?

Any suggestions?

M

MOONMAN

Sep 26, 2001
North Bend, WA.
WWW.EASTSIDEHARLEY.COM
:):face-icon-small-ton:)some of the better play areas are on the way to quartz mt, once you get past gnat flats there are many side roads and play areas, all the way to quartz, frost meadows has some neet areas, than on the way to quartz you can drop off and go around into the DUNES AREA, out at shoestrings lake comming out on rocky saddle, than down to buck meadows and back on the main road, it can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours depending on how much you play........been riding that area for about 15 years, still find new areas.........I live on the 3350 road, so we ride right from home.................

I still don't know how to find the "Dunes"...
But there is an old guy out there that does! :face-icon-small-win

J
Dec 6, 2007
redmond, wa.
Greenskeeper, I have a cabin on Westside road and Wallace drive - I'd love to ride with you sometime....my family has owned the property since '64 and I spent my summers tearing up dirt bike tires in that neck of the woods. was at Quartz/Frost medows last sunday, first in, DEEP POW.......

G
Dec 17, 2002
North Bend, Washington
Moonman? He tagged along on one of my 1st trips into this area. So many years ago I was riding a Yam SRV....We tried to get to Whistlin' Jack and never found the way.....Good thing, I had a 7 gallon tank, rode onto the trailer, stopped to fuel up and it took 7.0 gal....Scott was riding some kind of borrowed shop sled that day that ended upside down once.....He talked about some area called "the dunes" but didn't know where they were.....I still haven't found them?

Any suggestions?

"Moonman" the glory years

flame.jpg

M

MOONMAN

Sep 26, 2001
North Bend, WA.
WWW.EASTSIDEHARLEY.COM

Any suggestions?

I remember that ride... The winning combo is a rider that weighs as much as his machine, That would be Bob on that SRV! :D

Oh yea I'm still holding on to that jacket for you Art, when are you coming to get it?

G
Nov 27, 2007
s cle elum
:Dmoonman thanks for the OLD GUY (but I am 71 ) any way I think I can still find my around the area but I need someone to brake trail for me sometimes.............jsacquit I live at 1221 ridge road just past the power lines ,,,stop in some time, we are here full time............. just got a new to me sled 07 rmk600, 155, have not had time to get use to it, will take me longer to learn to ride all over..........

J
Dec 6, 2007
redmond, wa.
I just bought the 08 version and my son has an 07 - wow small world. they take some getting use to, but it's a great sled. I just put a SLP pipe on Thursday, going riding tomorrow to Greenwater and test it out.....
Call me sometime - cell is 206-948-3005 and look forward to riding/meeting you.

Premium Features