• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche classes in Salida & Leadville, CO

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Snowmobile Specific Avalanche class Leadville, CO January 27th 9am

Four Hour Avalanche Class
Specifically for snowmobilers

Avalanche class coming to Leadville January 27th

Classes are effective, proven to save lives and affordable.

Learn: How to avoid the most common mistakes, what equipment works best, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability and increase your skills in the mountains.

Cost $35 Must sign up in advance

Date: January 27th, 2008 Sunday morning
Location: Leadville, Colorado Mountain College. Timberline Campus 901 S. Hwy 24. Room 701
Time: 9am-1pm
To sign up: email Carrie at: travelwithcare@hotmail.com

Four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.

Instructor
: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years.
Course content:
-Introduction to Avalanches, statistics, contributing factors.
-Avalanche reports
-Signs of instability.
-Equipment
-What to carry and what works best.
-Avalanche beacons.
-Fast and effective single and multiple burial searches.
-Rescue
-Avalanche survival methods
-Hasty search
-mistakes in rescue
-Group Dynamics
-Terrain Evaluation/terrain traps
-Preparing for your trip
-Stability Analysis
-Scenarios

Last edited:

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
I highly recommend taking an avalanche class from Mike. He is a great guy and really knows his stuff. Not to mention that what you learn in his class may help save yours or someone else's life.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Does anybody have a contact number for the guy holding the class, I sent an email a few days ago trying to register for the Leadville class and have not recieved a response.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
You may also call Carrie at this number to sign up for the Leadville class. 719-486-8456.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Still spots open for Salida on Wednesday night the 16th. Call 719-539-7251 to sign up.

D
Dec 5, 2007
Riverton, WY
take the class

I took the class from mike in Laramie last week. He is an excellent instructor and you will come away with a lot of knowledge. I highly recommend it, 35 dollars well spent.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I just got back from the Salida class. It was very informative and probably the most helpful information I've ever recieved on the subject. Mike explains it very well.

Thanks to the Chaffee Co S&R, Chris, Mike, and all those involved in organizing it.

Great People!! Everyone was very nice and didn't give us MN natives too much guff! LOL

THANKS AGAIN

To anyone that hasn't taken a course yet I highly reccomend it.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Still room in the Leadville Class if anyone is interested. The riding is great up here with more snow coming in the next few days. Mike

It's being held in Room 701 at Colorado Mountain College. Timberline Campus.

Leadville
Date: January 27th, 2008 Sunday morning
Location: Leadville, Colorado Mountain College Timberline Campus Rm 701
Time: 9am-1pm
Cost: $35
To sign up: email Carrie at: travelwithcare@hotmail.com

Last edited:
S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Thanks to all those who were instrumental in putting on the class in Salida. Great group of people and an excellent search and rescue group. Thanks to:

Chaffee County Search and Rescue and the Sheriff's Dept.
Trey at High Altitude Boost www.haboost.com
Chris the president of the local snowmobile club and owner of A1 Auto in Salida.

Premium Features