• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Guardsmen Pass Access no longer ?

X
Dec 23, 2007
SLC
I was riding up in guardmens 2 weeks ago and notice a No Trespassing sign. It was at the bottom of the big hill coming from the top of the pass towards PC. I didn't really think any thing about it, Ive been riding there for years I assume there wasn't enough snow yet to bury it. I rode the frozen ponds and fields and had no problems. This past Friday my friends were riding and were stopped by a guy in a snocat. He informed them that sledding is no longer permitted in the fields from Deer Valley south to the top of the pass. He told them to ride the road back or he would call the SL county sheriff and have them meet them at the trailhead. The road sucks to ride because it puts you in the middle of some serious slide paths and by mid winter it fills in so much that it would be impossible to side hill it that long. Has anyone else had any problems?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
It has been off limilts for a few years. Seems there is some a-hole up there every once in a while trying to enforce it. A lot of that land is private property. A very large land owner is trying to convince the county to plow the road over the top from Brighton to Park city all winter so they can build a huge resort on the land you have in question. I'm sure at some point is will go through. So enjoy it while you have it. I've been ecpecting it to be 100% closed off for a couple years now, but hasnt quite happened yet.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
not yet

I've been up there twice this year and haven't had any problems yet. I did notice that it seems like just this year they started to plow that road that heads over to Deer Valley...Lame! It does also seem like I'm seeing more and more signs every time I go. Definitely it has to be just a matter of time before the whole thing shuts down.

It really makes me want to beat somebody up.

K

Kevco

Sep 21, 2001
Sandy Ut.
Jacobson const. is building it as we speak. Get it while ya can. Fargin basteaches!!

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
Its a big resort development by Talisker of Canada. Pretty soon the whole Bonanza Flats area will be a golf course, Hotels and Lodges. Watch for a 4 lane hwy over the pass and down the canyon too! Dumb place to build IMO.

X
Dec 23, 2007
SLC
I can believe the greenies aren't on this one. Bonanza Flats is some of the nicest land in the Wasatch. I rather see it banned from all Non-motorise use than a bunch useless homes bullt on it and another private golf course.

troyby

Premium Member
Oct 12, 2005
Kaysville, Utah
I can believe the greenies aren't on this one. Bonanza Flats is some of the nicest land in the Wasatch. I rather see it banned from all Non-motorise use than a bunch useless homes bullt on it and another private golf course.

The problem is, the greenies are the ones building the houses up there!!

T
Jul 13, 2001
UTAH!!
Remember Corner Canyon in Draper??

I got busted there in my younger days riding my dirt bike on the trails out there. I seem to remember some serious off road POLICE vehicles being used to patrol those trails.

They told me my bike was causing serious errosion issues. It wasn't a couple years later that it was all bull-dozed and houses were being built. Now it's a sea of urban stucco-sprawl. Most disappointing development in Salt Lake Valley if you ask me.

Damn self-righteous greenies.......

F
Nov 26, 2007
I got busted there in my younger days riding my dirt bike on the trails out there. I seem to remember some serious off road POLICE vehicles being used to patrol those trails.

They told me my bike was causing serious errosion issues. It wasn't a couple years later that it was all bull-dozed and houses were being built. Now it's a sea of urban stucco-sprawl. Most disappointing development in Salt Lake Valley if you ask me.

Damn self-righteous greenies.......

Amen to that...I used to spend a lot of good times in high school up corner canyon but always had to watch out for the man. Big surprise that they ended up bulldozing everything (if that's not erosion I dunno what is) and building homes in the exact areas I was "eroding". Just goes to show that laws always follow the money...

S

savagerunner07

Dec 3, 2007
SLC
I was just wondering if anyone went to Gaurdsman today. I have some family in town, and they wanted to go for a quick ride. I was just thinking of something near, and not to technical. They have never ridin before, and I dont want to just keep digging them out all day. If anyone can help, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
I wouldn't call Guardsman's Pass "Non-Technical." Close yes, but because of the tight quarters up there, and the narrow canyons, I've had a lot of "Family in from out of town" stuck in some really difficult situations up there. There's a lot of trees which make for some pretty ugly damage to snowmobiles.

Something to think about.

S

savagerunner07

Dec 3, 2007
SLC
So I took the family up there on Mon, and the place is completly different from what I remember two years ago. Anyway, I let my bro in law ride my sled, and he rode for about 200 yards with the brake on. I had to take the brake apart, and let it cool off. I then had to change the belt cause it got torn up. I took it for a small spin, and noticed that it was making some noise from the chain case, and it was really jerky. I think he damaged more than just the belt. What do you think? :confused:

M
Dec 10, 2007
Herriman, UT
I just rode up there on New Year's Eve for the first time this year after riding there for 3 years now. (The snow was wicked deep and fresh!) It does look different than what I remember last year over on the eastern part of the pass when coming in from the west. Nobody has stopped me, yet. And if they do, I'll just keep on riding until they close off the roads/trailheads to access the pass.

And I personally love riding my sled over the golf courses. Those sand pits make good jumps. And doesn't everyone love the sound of a sled riding past their cabin windows in the morning? I know I do because I am the one riding the Dragon.

:D

What you gotta do in GP is head up to the pass from big cottonwood side, and then climb the ridge towards 10420 peak. From there you can drop in an hug the bowls known as 10420, Claytons Peak and down through snake creek. As far as I know, this is all outside of the private property and still part of national forest service land where the yuppies do not go and furthermore cannot tell you to leave. Enjoy. I think efforts over the years will certainly be made to shut down riding, but no one will ultimately ever be able to stop the ninja attack on guardsmans...(the ones where you roll in early, no trailer, drop and go, boondock the trees into your favorite zones and stay clear of spots where you can be seen...)

Premium Features