• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Whistler/Brandywine/Brohm Report

F
Dec 4, 2007
Abbotsford
Yeah we didn't even make it up the ridge we just messed around the lodge and that area for a bit. We tried to follow a couple guys that broke trail up onto the ridge but got stuck a bunch of times and with the poor vis didn't think it was worth it. went back and messed around in some meadows. we went back to the lodge and the guys we tried to follow were back... They found a guy up on the ridge by himself... he was snowboarding and lost his sled the day before, spent the night huddled up in some trees. Very lucky those guys found him, they gave him a lift back down to meet up with search and rescue.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Rode brandywine today, got lucky had a blue bird day from 9:00am till 1:00pm.
The snow was deep 2 1/2 ft to 3ft plus fresh depending on area. A lot of stuck machines out there..... and if you wanted to climb a good hill.......the only way was for a number of sleds to bang away at the hill and to track poach each other just to get you up that hill. The snow base is finally starting to be respectable still some rocks to watch out for.

B
Nov 26, 2007
North Vancouver
Went up on Sunday, lots of snow, still havent gone up the alley. Vis was poor, but the snow was deeeep! Can't wait for a sunny day up there! Not many people up on Sunday, maybe 10 trucks.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Rode Brandywine yesterday Dec.24th, Beautiful blue bird day! Snow was even deeper than my previous trip 3-4 ft fluffy, sink to your waist.

T
Nov 28, 2007
Cougar mountain

My brother is going to Whistler next weekend with his family and heard that there is some trail riding on Cougar mountain. Is there a website with information and maps? How is the trail system? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

T
Nov 28, 2007
Quoted by the smartest guy on the forum-foxtail-offroad; YES!!! The Whistler area is known for it's Epic trail riding.

That is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you.

Any body else have some more constructive information I can use?

F
Dec 4, 2007
Abbotsford
Quoted by the smartest guy on the forum-foxtail-offroad; YES!!! The Whistler area is known for it's Epic trail riding.

That is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you.

Any body else have some more constructive information I can use?

Oh come on... that was funny.

Why do ya want trail riding? is it a bunch of 1st timers or are they bringing a bunch of skidoo skandics? Are they gonna be renting sleds? Whats the deal?

Broke trail to Appa lake on the 24th, what an awesome day waist deep pow and sun. Thanks to Dave Mills Steph and Adam for helping. The Rutherford was groomed for Xmas so should be in pretty good shape. Parking is very limited as the lot at the tracks has not been cleared and the only parking is at the powerplant. Do not ride your sleds across the highway, there is an underpass at the bridge. Was up the Hurley yesterday and the trail is in good shape and was groomed last saterday by Back Country snowcats. Nobody has been up Face yet. There are tracks into Noel and have been riding Hope Creek/headquarters for a few weeks now.

Broke trail to Appa lake on the 24th, what an awesome day waist deep pow and sun. Thanks to Dave Mills Steph and Adam for helping. The Rutherford was groomed for Xmas so should be in pretty good shape. Parking is very limited as the lot at the tracks has not been cleared and the only parking is at the powerplant. Do not ride your sleds across the highway, there is an underpass at the bridge. Was up the Hurley yesterday and the trail is in good shape and was groomed last saterday by Back Country snowcats. Nobody has been up Face yet. There are tracks into Noel and have been riding Hope Creek/headquarters for a few weeks now.

Yeah Ray!
That was a great adventure! Great to meet up with you and your daughter.

I rode out to the Basecamp on the 26th and spent 2 nights out Ridin in waist deep snow...The Ice Cap is amazing right now! Looking forward to Monday supposed to be Bluebird again!

Helisledder

J
Dec 30, 2007
I don't think Rutherford was groomed... was up on the 26th the cat was still at the bottom, saw helisledder's truck so maybe they were going to take a looksie?

snows deep! be careful in the alpine and by rock bands, that ice crust from Dec 3rd-4th is still getting stepped down to.

Whistler avy report Dec 31

For all the guys out there who avy skills consist of "That slope has never slid before" you better check what I have put in bold at the bottom.

Backcountry Avalanche advisory
December 31, 2007

Alpine: Moderate

Treeline: Moderate

Below Treeline: Low

Travel Advisory: Cold low density snow has slowly been loading over settling soft slabs, but all those rocks and exposed crusts are still out there. Moderate to strong winds Saturday night from the SE and SW formed some soft windslabs in the alpine that were easily reacting to a ski cut. Cornice tabs have also grown and they are fragile as well. The Dec 4th rain crust is buried anywhere from 60-150cm deep on some lee slopes, but it can still be found on the surface at ridgelines and on some windward slopes.

Avalanche Activity: Size one soft windslabs were easily triggered yesterday morning. They were propagating widely, with crowns averaging 10-20cm in depth. It seemed that the slab became particularly reactive lower in the alpine elevations. Last week several size two slabs stepped down an average of one meter to the Dec 4 crust and facet layer that is buried from 0.6 to 1.5 meters below the surface. As previously noted, Saturday night’s wind formed lots of new cornice tabs that are breaking easily.

Snowpack: In the alpine terrain a soft windslab is sitting on underlying layers of less dense storm snow. As you drop below treeline there is no slab. The December 4th facet crystal and raincrust weakness is gradually getting buried deeper, but the crust can still be found on the surface in some wind affected terrain. These layers may be a persistent weakness in some areas well into the season. Shallow rocky terrain is facetted as well, and failures could propagate into the deeper instabilities. The forecast heavy snowfall and warming temperatures this week will be the first real test of these weaknesses, and you can expect to see some natural avalanching occurring. Given the depth of the instability, the avalanches have the potential to run full path to threaten the usually safe valley routes.

Weather: We can expect a mix of sun and cloud today with increasing cloud and snow beginning overnight. A system tomorrow will be the first in a series that will bring heavy snowfall and warming temperatures for the remainder of the week.

103-145 cm in next few days!!!!

Alpine Recreation Forecast For The South Coast Mountains Issued By The Pacific Weather Centre Of Environment Canada At 5.00 Am Pst Tuesday 1 January 2008 For Today Tonight Wednesday Thursday Friday And Saturday.
The Next Scheduled Forecast Will Be Issued At 2.00 Pm.

Synopsis.. A Warm Front Will Spread A Few Flurries To The Area This Morning. A Cold Front Will Cross The South Coast Tonight Giving Heavy Snow Through Wednesday.

Whistler - Blackcomb.
Today..Cloudy With A Few Flurries This Morning.
Alpine High Minus 2.
Snowfall Accumulation 3 To 5 Cm.
Freezing Level At Valley Bottom.
Mountain Top Winds Northeast South 40 To 60 Km/H Rising To 70 To 100 This Afternoon.
Tonight..Snow Heavy At Times.
Alpine Low Minus 7.
Snowfall Accumulation 15 To 20 Cm.
Mountain Top Winds South 70 To 110 Km/H.
Wednesday..Periods Of Snow.
Alpine High Minus 5.
Snowfall Accumulation 10 To 15 Cm.
Mountain Top Winds Southwest 60 To 90 Km/H Easing To 30 To 50 In The Afternoon.

Extended Forecast For Whistler - Blackcomb.
Thursday.. Snow. Snowfall Accumulation 25 To 35 Cm. Freezing Level 1000 Metres.
Friday.. Snow. Snowfall Accumulation 35 To 45 Cm. Freezing Level 1500 Metres Lowering To 1000 Metres.
Saturday.. Snow. Snowfall Accumulation 15 To 25 Cm. Freezing Level Near Valley Bottom.

5 Day Trend.. A Series Of Frontal Systems With Heavy Precipitation Will Move Across The Area Thursday Through Friday. Precipitation Will Ease On Saturday Behind A Cold Front

Premium Features