• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP!!! Rail and Extravert no room!!

I bought extraverts for my 04 600 RMK. I windowed the track, did all nessary work to make these a go At least I thought so anyway. During the install of the skid, I noticed that the rail butt's up thight to the extravert. The dealer now want's me to bring the sled to him so he can cut the rail to make this work. Has anyone got the mesurment I need? Maybe a process written up to follow? I got $400 down range now and another 5 hours for the shop to mod the rails. Any help or advice would be appricated.

Thanks
Pat

Y

yardfarmer

Jul 30, 2004
Sw Iowa
20071205_IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
If you went with the same size extroverts(as the drivers you took off), you need to get 1.5" either by cutting the rails and end caps or by moving the skid back. If you cut the rails you need to drill a new hole for the cap bolt(probably the easiest way). If you move the skid back you need to add to the rear brackets. Farmer's pic shows an anti-stab kit(not a bad idea). Good luck.

T
Feb 27, 2006
I think I went as much as I could cut off and round the squared edges off with out cutting through the hole for the anti stab kit. About an inch and a half sounds like what I did.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
I have done many of these. With the anti-stab kit and 9 tooth extros I would cut 2 3/4 off. You will have to redrill the mount for the hyfax and front limiter bar. I would watch for how the front arm bottoms on the rails/antistab kit. I have had a couple of limiter straps get cut by getting caught/pinched.

IMHO 1 1/2 will not clear. You can take the springs off and run it through its full stroke to see how your clearances will be. If you take your time and have the knowledge to remove the skid you can easily do the rail tips.

One more thing....Do not run it until you get this addressed or you will be starting over with a bigger hit to your wallet!!!

Sap

Last edited:
L
I am working on this right now with my sled as well. I am trying to figure out how much rail to cut off. These are Ice Age Mfg rails, and they look like they have been trimmed before (I didn't build the sled myself). They also used anti-ratchet drivers, but because of the hits it looks like they cut the extroverts off the drivers. I had my sled out last weekend and it was still hitting the rails.

Yardfarmer-
It's hard to tell from the angle of the picture, but if I was hitting, it looks like you may have problems as well.

Sapling-
I take it from your post that I will have no problem relocating the front lower mount for the limiter strap bar. It looks like I will be able to slid everything back about an inch and still keep the entire rubber bump stop. I am considering trimming that back as well. Have any of you had any experience with that before?

snowest.JPG

R
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Sask
Lakeeffect you might as well just buy some smaller extrovert drivers because you don't have any right now with the nubs cut off you would have to run your track tighter to not ratchet. That way everything will fit without cutting the rails and you will have your extroverts back.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
When I put extros on mine, I shortened the rails and reshaped the end like stock. This put the black end piece about half way into the bump stop. I just cut the end piece to clear the stop. You can see where I moved the limiter strap back. Worked great.

DSCN3015.jpg

T
Dec 10, 2007
i had to do the same thing to my i went from 151 to 162 and cut the rails. by doing so the rails kept taking the clips off so we installed the anti-stab and is works great now.

S
Nov 26, 2007
1 1/2" in not enough! I was told this when I did my driver on '04 Escape, first ride out the drivers were hitting the rails. I redrilled the tunnel and rear suspension mount 1" slide the whole suspension back. VERY happy with the handling of the sled and the clearance of the drivers.

L
1 1/2" in not enough! I was told this when I did my driver on '04 Escape, first ride out the drivers were hitting the rails. I redrilled the tunnel and rear suspension mount 1" slide the whole suspension back. VERY happy with the handling of the sled and the clearance of the drivers.

What size drivers are you running? I currently have 9T, and it seems like I may need to cut/move even more than 2.5" to fit 9T extros under my track since I am already hitting the drivers on occassion. I am starting to think I should drop down to 8T just to be safe.

Once I drop down to 8T what will I have to do with my gearing? I am already running 19/39 gears for a ratio of 2.05 with the 9T drivers.

snowest.JPG

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
2 3/4 cut off Minimum!!! for 9 tooth extros. That is the magic number. Reshape the end of the rail like someone said above and you will be fine.

I would do this before I changed the mounting geometry of the skid. If your happy with the weight transfer and the handling of the skid now don't move it. Cut the rails.

I can't believe someone would cut off the nubs on a set of extroverts VS. cutting and reshaping the rails!!!

Like I said above cycle your suspension through its travel and watch how close it gets. you can not just colapse the front of the skid! You have to cycle the whole skid.

If your not comfortable doing this then by all means take it to the dealer and pay him to cut them back.

Hope this helps.

Sap

Premium Features