• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 800 summit highmark???

S
My buddy just purchased a 2001 800 summit, the problem is you have to remove the spark plugs and put gas in chamber to start initially. Once you get it going it is fine unless it is shut off for 15 minutes or more. Does anyone have any ideas why this sled does this? Any help would be aprreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Those motors were known for a couple problems, first is flaking rings which could make it do that, and second is delaminating reed cages which also could lead to that.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
How many miles on the eng. Maybe just tired, vac. line from crankcase to fuel pump old and hard ... leaks vac???? Fuel pump weak, comp. in eng low. Just throwing out ideas. Vent line to the gas tank pluged. reeds shot, Just about about anything could cause this but a close look around might reveil a easy fix! Dino

S
This sled has 1650 km on it has hardly been riden, and yes the jets were cleaned also it runs perfect once you get it started was talking to a guy and he said maybe the diaphram in the fuel pump was shot, maybe will have to take a look at that? Any other ideas??? To be honest I want the sled to run right because ultimately it will be me towing him home lol!

V
Nov 26, 2007
bozeman, mt
probably fuel pump. used to have one of these sleds........wisecos, boysen rad valves, bearcat secondary, oil pump delete (liked to go out on these sleds). ran like a champ.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
My buddy just purchased a 2001 800 summit, the problem is you have to remove the spark plugs and put gas in chamber to start initially. Once you get it going it is fine unless it is shut off for 15 minutes or more. Does anyone have any ideas why this sled does this? Any help would be aprreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Fuel pump or vacuum leak most likely. Replace the lines, buy a new fuel pump or a rebuild kit. They are cheap. www.royaldistributing.com

Premium Features