• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carls Cycle 860

R

rmk685

Dec 4, 2007
Just wondering if anyone has seen or ran a 860 on the hill yet? According to everyone at carls that I have talked with it is suspose to be a notch above the potent 910, but it should be for the price.:eek:

I am curious how it would compare to a Highmark Rec turbo running 10lbs of boost on a 600 ho rmk? Price would very similar once all said and done with it. Reliability of the two?

O
Nov 27, 2007
Good question, I would like to hear more about the 860 and how it compares also. Lets send this back to the top, maybe someone "in the know" will respond.

R

rmk685

Dec 4, 2007
One bonus of the 860 is Pump Gas!

Thats why I would consider it first if their isnt a huge difference in power. I like boondocking and dropping cornices more then climbing big long hills so the big natural 2 stroke is probably a better option, although I would love the power when that turbo kicks in:confused:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have the new Carls Cycle catalog. It has the kit in there but there are no dyno specs or HP numbers. I'd like to see those numbers myself.

L
Sep 24, 2003
Boise, ID
Carl's does not dyno or have any HP number from what I know... With the kit it should be close to be dialed in out of the box.. They do a lot of testing..

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Just wondering if anyone has seen or ran a 860 on the hill yet? According to everyone at carls that I have talked with it is suspose to be a notch above the potent 910, but it should be for the price.:eek:

I am curious how it would compare to a Highmark Rec turbo running 10lbs of boost on a 600 ho rmk? Price would very similar once all said and done with it. Reliability of the two?

The problem is at altitude no pump gas big bore can hang even with a small 600 running 10 lbs, absolutley no contest on the hills, that 600 will be 200 hp all day long in the thin air whereas that 860 at say 8000 feet will have closer to half the power of the turbo.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I dont mean to come off like im knockin carls cause their stuff works! And they dont dyno they just let their products performance speak for itself, the reality is its hard to beat a turbo in the thin air, Monster tripple would be the best bet IMO.

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
Yes, it would be hard to beat the turbo in the HP game but there are places where a big NA monster is better IMO. Places where you don't want lag, like running through trees with trunks barely wider then your skis and pushing branches out of the way. Spool up in there and you just smacked a tree.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com

I agree with the others, the turbo would be hard to beat for power. Worthwhile if EFI (unless you decide to KNOW what's going on with the fuel delivery side). The 600 boosted cannot hang with a 1200 w/c triple. (big triple is a whole different world of riding, in many aspects...again you would have to DECIDE to accept the responsibility of a mod sled)
For dropping & docking, the NA overbore would be fantastic.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
mattymac

We are speculating and possibly splitting frog hairs here but having ridden some 600 IQ RAWs with an aerocharger style turbo at 10lbs and having ridden last years 797 big bore I am confident that the two are almost equal at 8000ft. The 840 efi Carls big bore is rummored to be a lot more then the 797 carbed. Now you guys that haven't been around turbo power should know there is a night and day difference between 10 lbs boost and 12lbs boost. At everyday setup of 10lbs which is pretty common for those systems they would be a toss up. At 12lbs on a great running turbo you need big triple legit 200hp type stuff to hang. Once again that speculates that the turbo runs that day and that time. I know the big bores always run good.....our turbos usually run pretty good too but out of 20 that you run across half will be having some issue that day (FACT)!

All that said on the day that I got to ride those 600 turbo sleds you could not have gotten me to trade straight across from my meager 660. It's different kind of ride and it just isn't as much fun. That is why my turbo sits in the shop collecting dust.

KMO it's a different kind of ride and you should feel them both before you decide. I bet we could arrange that sometime this winter.

P

pwdrhogRMK800

Oct 29, 2002
Casper, WY
I have not rode a 600 turbo but did buy one of last years 797's. I have only rode it a few times:), the turbo would have to be pretty impressive to sway me over the 797, it pulls hard!

R

ridehard1212

Nov 26, 2007
LANGLEY BC
ive owned a turbo, never again, BB all the way, unless all you care about it point a shoot, then turbo, in the trees BB

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
KMO it's a different kind of ride and you should feel them both before you decide. I bet we could arrange that sometime this winter.

HUH? I don't have any plans to change what I have at this point. Did someone say I was going to make a change?

I "had been" talking to Chris about the 860 kit.....for Linda's sled, and then giving her my 685 that she likes to take from me on occasion ( and I have to chase her for a while and physically take it back. Good thing she only weighs 104#). But I have since decided to keep what we have and see if Poo addresses sled weight, and how the new 800 does for next year. Plus, I just had Carl's throw Holtz rear skids and Fox Zero Pros under our sleds.

But, that being said, HELL YEAH I will ride your turbo. I'll trade you that for a ride on my hot rod Harley.......

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
i have a question for some of you turbo boys......the ones i have seen flood out the intercooler every time they jump drifts etc....... is that pretty common? it was an rx-1 turboed. if that is the case, the turbo doesn't interest me much. rather give a little in the point and shoot dept., while still being able to play hard in the trees. don't have ANY lag with my 727......light and quick. can only imagine how fun the 840 is going to be.

B
Dec 4, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have a 600 HO turbo and love it everywhere I ride. When tuned right (takes about 5 min) there really is no turbo lag. The highmark turbo is set up quite different than any turbo in the past. One thing that has not been talked about is that the set up's using Garret turbo's run best from 12lbs to 15lbs of boost. There is also some work in progress to set up the turbo to run on 100% E85 ethanol ($2.50 gal), still not as convenient as pump fuel but will cut the cost of running a turbo in half. I have not run with anyone with a carl's set up but I am sure that they are comparable but the turbo will carry more speed.

S
Jan 5, 2008
In the nortwoods
Was talking to Chris at carls Thursday about a project I am working on. And was asking him about the 860. You are going to probally spend about $5600 plus tax. You have to figure in the reeds pipe and carb boring. He also mentioned that there is already a list for these kits. the back log is at a month and ahalf right now. So don't spend to much time thinking about and call now.

Premium Features