• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can someone give me a proper explaination as to how the APV system works?

J
Sep 21, 2005
Peace River, Alberta
I have an idea, obviously, as to how they work, but can somoen give me some specifics as to exactly how/ when they actuate, etc? IE: What makes them open when they do? Do they only open under load, and if they do, why?

Thanks!

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
im not too sure of the specs of when but the valves open up due to RPM i believe and the M8 has a 3 stage witch means 3 steps in witch the valves open. the 1000s are single in 07 not too sure about this year. and i think the 1000s open up round 6700RPM. dont quote me thow. but you should be able to get these specs from a dealer its probly in the shop manuals.

J
Sep 21, 2005
Peace River, Alberta
I had an issue with a Firecat I was working on. Turns out buddy had plugged the APV servo into the wrong plug. Seems to me it'd rev out fine on a stand, but under load, it wouldn't.

So, you're saying the opening of the valves are a function of RPM, and not load?
If so, that shoots my theory on this M7 i'm working on out the window.. Haven't seen it yet, but apparently, it'll rev right out on a stand, but not under load. I guess i'll look at simple stuff...

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The cdi controlls the valves on an rpm basis. Tighten the exhaust at low rpm and open it up for high rpm. The cable adjustment is important. The drum has to rotate to a exact position. If it does not, the drum will cycle but return back to low rpm position. It is possible your cables need adjusting. Just because it cycles on the stand does not mean it is working properly. If it cycles several times, you are out of adjustment. If it does not cycle, the servo is probably bad.

Premium Features