• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Ski DOO

B
Dec 2, 2007
I sure hope Ski Doo produces a 4 stroke high performance snowmobile so they can compete with Yamaha. Make it at least 160 hp stock or 215 hp supercharged. Make it as light weight as possible. Put it on the new REV XP platform. Call it the Mach 5.

Here's hoping

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I dont think there is any program to get with. When thier 2-strokes are cleaner than the EPA regs, why? They are number one in sled sales and where is Yamaha, last after cat and polaris. Dont see yammi as any kind of threat for doo. There will probably be a HP 4-stroke in doos future, but I see it a way off. Wouldnt be surprised if all sleds are 4-stroke on another 10 years, just like most bikes and quads.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
I don't see the need for brp to go four stroke. direct injection is next, its already proven (in outbourds ) that a direct injected two stroke can get as good of fuel milage and have as clean of emmisions.

but what we really need is a sled that runs on an alternitive source with no emissions. Like that dude who figured out how to burn water. how about a water powered sled

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
I don't see the need for brp to go four stroke. direct injection is next, its already proven (in outbourds ) that a direct injected two stroke can get as good of fuel milage and have as clean of emmisions.

Let me correct you in a minor way--2-stroke direct injection burns CLEANER and gets better mileage and outperforms 4 strokes in bottom end and mid and top end. Without oil changes. This is stock to stock comparision--so keep you turbos out of this!!

It is just not going to happen on BRP sleds untill the EPA forcess them to do it.

You are right on this cjgodden--BRP is vested in 2 stroke technology.

H20SKE...

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
The burning water engine is heavy. It'd take 250 pounds of aluminum, and a equal weight of water to make a day long trip. Then there's the whole astronomical cost of Gallium.

Doo can always pick up a third party 4 stroke if things get tight.

J

johnny be bad

Nov 26, 2007
in the getto
from the stats ive seen doo out sells the other three combined! something like 51% of market share world wide! remember thats world wide not just north america!

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Its true, BRP has got the 2 strokes figured out, but I also heard that there supercharged PWC runs pretty hard, wouldn't be hard to drop one of those in an xp;) , except for the weight!:(

The PWC does run sweet, but its 1500 CC's and way to heavy for snowmobiles in my opinion. The oil change deal does suck also. On the flip side you have a engine with much longer life span in a 4 stroke.

B
Dec 2, 2007
Why Wait?

So, Ski Doo will not invest in 4 stroke technology for now, huh? Wht happens when they are forced to by the E.P.A.? Why Wait?. Yamaha, Polaris & Arctic Cat didn't. So why should Ski Doo ?

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
I guess that saying ski-doo will not invest in 4-stroke tech is going a little far, there is always the v-800 that is in the scandic and tundra lt. But what we are saying is ski-doo is in for the long haul with their 2-strokes, they believe, and so do I , That they can continue to meet e.p.a guildlines and are will to sink as much r&d dollars to do it as it takes. Remember that Rotax is the force behind the motor technoligy and they do not just build snomobile engines. I am sure they are more than capibible of building a 4-stroke to compete with yamaha. But why when you can have a 2-stroke that weigh's half as much.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

but what we really need is a sled that runs on an alternitive source with no emissions. Like that dude who figured out how to burn water. how about a water powered sled

I tried it and it works fine but it took 10 gallons of gas/day to keep the water melted.

HOOTS

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
S.W MN
1000 SDI in XP chassis would be my cup of tea. This chassis is 30 some % stronger so it should handle it no prob. Most bugs should be out of that motor. Thinkin it would be he!! of a machine. Light wgt, 160 + HP & don't have to go thru the tuning stage of the BB kits on a 8, & full warrenty!

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
BRP probably does have a 4 stroke in R&D. They most likely are saving it until they HAVE to release it. I can't imagine that they are gonna be caught with
their pants down when it comes time to abandon the 2 stroke. There would be too much to lose to be stuck behind the bus.

BRP is pretty secretive about their stuff and I really doubt that we will ever see anything on the hill to take spy shots of! At least not in a recognizable chassis!
That photo last year was leaked by BRP, I betcha it was some sort of early marketing ploy and it worked! Look how many XPs were sold this year!

B
Dec 2, 2007
Just Saying

I'M just saying that once the other manufacturers go the same way as Yamaha with all 4 stroke sleds, Ski Doo will mostly have 2 stroke engines is all.

Premium Features