• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

is the avalung back pack worth having

T
Nov 27, 2007
Denver
Risky Insurance

I did a lot of research on this and ended up going with an ABS Avalanche Pack instead.

AvaLung Pros: allows you to breath if you are buried in an avalanche.
AvaLung Cons: tumbling down a mountain in an avalanche it will be difficult, if not impossible to get and keep the mouthpiece in your mouth, especially with a helmet on.

ABS Pros: significantly decreases the chances of becoming buried in an avalanche.
ABS Cons: cost and weight.

That's my $.02 :rolleyes:

ToyHauler

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
I think the avalung backpack is a great idea, especially for backcountry skiiers, snowboarders, snowshoers, etc.

The problem with the avalung backpack or the avalung in general for snowmobilers is the dilemma of getting the avalung into your mouth if you get caught in an Avy. Some peeps say that when they high mark or are in Avy terrain they ride with the avalung tube in their mouth. That would work, but personally I would find that kind of annoying. So here I am talking you out of a product that I sell, doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's what I personally think. But if I were ever to get buried in an Avy, I would want an avalung in my mouth, I just don't know if I would be able to get it there with my helmet on in an Avy.

Or as was mentioned, save the extra $$ and buy an ABS backpack instead which will help prevent the need for an avalung

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
i had the black diamond convert backpack with avalung last season. It was heavy and the back of the pack would hit my helmet. very annoying also kind of hard to stick the tube in your mouth with a motorcross style helmet on. I got rid of it and bought a BCA pack until i can afford a ABS pack

C
Nov 28, 2007
the most important thing to consider when being caught in an avalance is TO STAY ON TOP . at all costs . being under you can succum to hitting debris, over whelming weight so great you cant get a breath even if you had an avi lung intact in your mouth .

never buried anyone yet who stayed on top . cant say that about the buried ones .

B
Nov 29, 2007
MN & WY
I have the Avelung that is just the pack itself. You where it on the front of your stomach/chest. I like this because you can were whatever back pack you want to. The mouthpiece rides right next to your mouth, its flexible and Yes it does take some gettin used to. For me it is worth it. Lightweight. Just my 2 cents.

Premium Features