• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

why would anyone get a can? - SLP pipe

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
noticed there is a lot of talk about putting cans on the new Axys. why are people looking into this when the SLP pipe is supposed to drop as much (or more) weight while adding horse power? seems like a no-brainer to me but there must be some reasoning behind it.

From SLP's site:

"Swing the Axys into your favor with this new single pipe set. It provides an additional 9 horsepower while trimming 13 pounds on trail models and 14 pounds on mountain models. This pipe set has been SLP tested and passed the SAE J-2567 stationary sound test below 88 decibels. Finished with ceramic coating which not only looks great, but also reduces radiant heat emissions by as much as 40%, resulting in cooler underhood temperatures."

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
noticed there is a lot of talk about putting cans on the new Axys. why are people looking into this when the SLP pipe is supposed to drop as much (or more) weight while adding horse power? seems like a no-brainer to me but there must be some reasoning behind it.

From SLP's site:

"Swing the Axys into your favor with this new single pipe set. It provides an additional 9 horsepower while trimming 13 pounds on trail models and 14 pounds on mountain models. This pipe set has been SLP tested and passed the SAE J-2567 stationary sound test below 88 decibels. Finished with ceramic coating which not only looks great, but also reduces radiant heat emissions by as much as 40%, resulting in cooler underhood temperatures."

For a couple reasons. First, a can will reduce weight buy as much or more than the pipe set. Second, a can is cheaper than a pipe set. Third, in many cases, a dealer will go to bat on warranty if you have a can, but won't if you have a full SLP pipe set.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
"Pipe Set" is not just the pipe, its their pipe and can, im assuming they dont drop any weight with the pipe, maybe a little, but the weight loss comes from the can provided with the "set".

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Juice isn't worth the squeeze. Pipe will more than likely require fuel controller. If your gonna do that you might as well strap on the big boy pants and go for the gusto.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
They aren't dropping 14lbs with just the pipe, have you ever picked up a pipe?

of course, who said it was just the pipe?

"Pipe Set" is not just the pipe, its their pipe and can, im assuming they dont drop any weight with the pipe, maybe a little, but the weight loss comes from the can provided with the "set".

this guy knows whats up

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Juice isn't worth the squeeze. Pipe will more than likely require fuel controller. If your gonna do that you might as well strap on the big boy pants and go for the gusto.

Write up says no fueling changes required. Polaris must have left a lot of extra fuel for a safety margin in the stock mapping for SLP to squeeze another 9 HP out of the engine without changes.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
SLP uses a resistor on the EGT probe harness, which tells the ECM the exhaust is too cool so it adds more fuel. I imagine the Axys RMK stage 4 or 5 kits will require a Bully Dog with SLP's tuning though.

Yes, I have a Ti Quiet on order from Diamond S, but I also have my name on the list at SLP to get an pipe as well. Ran this combo on my '14 w/SLP's Stage 4 and it ran awesome. By the way, the Ti Quiet on my '14 is 4 lbs lighter than the SLP can.

Last edited:

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Last edited:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Kinda crazy to think it wouldn't take much to have a 395 pound, 170hp sled with a good clutch kit. Makes a guy wonder if ya really need boost

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Really liking the Bikeman pipe/Diamond S combo platter I installed on the Pro this winter. 9-10hp gain? kinda doubt that, but a real honest 5 maybe 6?
All I know is the sled got a bunch faster over a short timed course.. Plugs burning a real nice coffee n creme colour, no fuel controller, on 91 non-ethanol fuel.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I think that the Bikeman ceramic coated pipe is selling for $475. Match it up with the Diamond S Titanium Quiet can and you will have a real runner with 170 horsepower and a loss of considerable weight. I may do that but I don't really want to void the warranty. I know that some will say that you can put the stock stuff back on if you have a problem and take it back to the dealer that way. I am sure the Polaris guys love to read that statement. I don't know if the computer can tell if the sled has an aftermarket pipe on it or not. I will put on the Diamond S muffler and run it that way and consider the pipe as we see how the reliability is on the H.O. motor.

Premium Features