• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 proclimb - won't start

L

leeindubois

Nov 20, 2007
Dubois, Wyoming
I have a 2015 m8000 HCR with about 500 miles on it. The sled has ran great all year. I have been riding about every day the last 2 weeks with no issues. Last night after riding I loaded the sled in the trailer like always, fueled it up and left it over night. I went to unload this morning to ride and it won't start.

It never seemed to fire it was just dead. I checked all my connections, pulled the plugs and checked for spark, and looked everything over (the key, tether, connections, throttle. Any ideas? Could it be something in the the throttle? Fuses are all good.

It has done this one other time after riding when I got home off the mountain it wouldn't start and when I went to work on it the next day it started first pull? Could something be iced up or do i have a short?

Thanks in advance!

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
Seen this happen twice to my buddies 13 M8 and one to my buddies 14 M8 (two mornings after mountain rides). If I remember correctly it's an issue with not getting enough fuel. Apparently with the kill switch off, pull it over about 30 times, turn the switch back on and it should fire up first pull. It was an extremely uncommon occurrence and like your case, they fired up without issue next day and many rides after.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Unplug the main harness to the hood. That will eliminate the key and kill switch as a problem.
If it starts u can kill it with the tether or plug the hood harness back in.

L

leeindubois

Nov 20, 2007
Dubois, Wyoming
Seen this happen twice to my buddies 13 M8 and one to my buddies 14 M8 (two mornings after mountain rides). If I remember correctly it's an issue with not getting enough fuel. Apparently with the kill switch off, pull it over about 30 times, turn the switch back on and it should fire up first pull. It was an extremely uncommon occurrence and like your case, they fired up without issue next day and many rides after.

I will try this that sounds like the exact same problem. I hope it will work. I feel the sled is almost getting too much fuel though it seemed flooded when I pulled the plugs they were wet and some fuel was in the intake.

It's been -30 degrees in the area so my guess is water in the fuel and possible frozen fuel lines. Try thawing out the sled and see what happens.

DPG

It has been cold but the last few days were warmer. Yesterday was about 30 degrees. I am always really careful about where I get my fuel and filling it after each ride to eliminate condensation in the tank. It is thawing out now though so I will see if that helps

Thanks for the info guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowderStew

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Smithers BC
If I have spark and not sure if it is getting fuel, I pull one plug, squirt some fuel down the hole, put the plug in and fire it up. If it runs then quits, you know it's not getting fuel.
I have a bunch of 5ml syringes in my tool box just for such use.

L

leeindubois

Nov 20, 2007
Dubois, Wyoming
If I have spark and not sure if it is getting fuel, I pull one plug, squirt some fuel down the hole, put the plug in and fire it up. If it runs then quits, you know it's not getting fuel.

I have a bunch of 5ml syringes in my tool box just for such use.

I pulled the plug and had spark and pulled the sled over with the plug pulled and had a lighter lit by the hole and it ignited so I know I have fuel. It seemed flooded if anything.

I don't believe the tether is an issue I checked all the connections and wires to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
As gforce said, the exact same thing happened on my 2013 twice. Once last year and once the year before. I had fuel and spark, everything seemed normal. After it sat for a half hour or so it would almost fire. Never did figure out exactly what happened because after the ride home in the trailer it fired up first pull both times. Last year the day after mine did it, buddies 14 did it. It sat in the shop for almost a week and still wouldn't fire. He read somewhere to try pulling it over 30 times with the kill switch off, then turn it on and pull again. Fired right up. Still no idea what the actual problem is, but if it ever happens again on mine I'll try that first. And on all three occasions it was the same, sleds we running fine all day, then parked in the trailer for the night, and wouldn't Fire the next day.

L

leeindubois

Nov 20, 2007
Dubois, Wyoming
As gforce said, the exact same thing happened on my 2013 twice. Once last year and once the year before. I had fuel and spark, everything seemed normal. After it sat for a half hour or so it would almost fire. Never did figure out exactly what happened because after the ride home in the trailer it fired up first pull both times. Last year the day after mine did it, buddies 14 did it. It sat in the shop for almost a week and still wouldn't fire. He read somewhere to try pulling it over 30 times with the kill switch off, then turn it on and pull again. Fired right up. Still no idea what the actual problem is, but if it ever happens again on mine I'll try that first. And on all three occasions it was the same, sleds we running fine all day, then parked in the trailer for the night, and wouldn't Fire the next day.

You and gforce were right on the money. I just went down to the shop, turned the kill switch off and pulled it 30 times. Sure enough it fired right up! Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
So..... it was flooded?
The good ole carbed sleds u just hold the throttle open and pull 15-20 times and it would usually start.

If the throttle safety switch was disabled, can u just hold it wide open on the fuel injected sled and start a flooded sled?

B
Nov 27, 2007
Hold your throttle wide open and try it. Mine and my wife's 14 do it from time to time when its real cold or a lot of humidity in the trailer. It's like they flood. But when we hold it wide open they fire right up

jims68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
bismarck, nd
We had this happen to a 13 last year and it was the fuel pickup assembly. There is a check valve that gets stuck. He had it happen a few times after putting in a larger tank but died completely on our first days ride. Took it back to dealer in Wishek, ND and he knew what the issue was. So far hasn't come back.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--So looks like two options that have worked here:

1) pull over 30 times with switch off then start

or

2) just hold throttle open when starting

thekrust

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Okanagan
This has happened on my 13 and a buddy's 13 on more than several occasions . Tried everything listed above to no avail. Screw in a couple of different plugs and away she goes first pull after that and runs fine all day. It usually seems like the plugs are very oily when they come out, wondering if possibly a check valve in the oil system?

B
Nov 27, 2007
Its worked on both of ours on 2 separate occasions, holding the throttle wide open. Seems to be on very humid days. They fire on 2nd pull then die and wont start unless we hold them open

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I have seen it on 2 15s and holding throttle open they both started in 2 pulls

Premium Features