• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why don't I want a 800 HCR?

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
My problem is I have bad knees and sold my sled this year so I wouldn't be tempted to go pound them into dust like I did last year. I'm determined to get them healthier this year and drop weight to help them out. My dilemma in buy ing a new sled is that it I can't go to the mtns inwant a sled I will enjoy here on the flats too. The hcr with the wide stance and good shocks seems like a good idea. I'm a lil worried about that short cooler tho. Anyone know how hard it would be to add a cooler at the back of the tunnel? When at the show the hcr didn't seem that much harder to pull over I'm sure some
Cut skis would make it even better. Any thoughts?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I notice the wider stance in the mountains a lot more than I notice the difference on the trail and its easy to get used to the narrow on the trail (never had a problem with the skinner stance).

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Contact Amber Holt. I rode an M8LTD with Raptor shocks the other day. Amber changed to the raptor shocks. I'll bet she will never be back to the air shock with a "P_nus pump". The Raptor shocks made the stock sled a wonderful ride. I hit the 1.5' bumps on the trail at WOT. The ride was one of the best I have ever had. If you combine the shock with the New KMOD for stock sleds you will have a trail and mountain boondocking dream machine. It will help your knees. Contact Jake at Raptor shocks. He is in Montana now, I think he is heading south to ID but will be going home to MN soon. He has an M8, RMK and a skidoo with him. He will let you ride one. His shocks are worth a try. Ride them before you buy. Your knees will thank you.
Good luck and stay with us.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Contact Amber Holt. I rode an M8LTD with Raptor shocks the other day. Amber changed to the raptor shocks. I'll bet she will never be back to the air shock with a "P_nus pump". The Raptor shocks made the stock sled a wonderful ride. I hit the 1.5' bumps on the trail at WOT. The ride was one of the best I have ever had. If you combine the shock with the New KMOD for stock sleds you will have a trail and mountain boondocking dream machine. It will help your knees. Contact Jake at Raptor shocks. He is in Montana now, I think he is heading south to ID but will be going home to MN soon. He has an M8, RMK and a skidoo with him. He will let you ride one. His shocks are worth a try. Ride them before you buy. Your knees will thank you.
Good luck and stay with us.

How much are they and did you go with all 4 shocks

wally1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2008
The HCR is a great all around sled.I had a 2011 and loved it, you could actually have fun on the trails on the way to the play areas and as long as there was 8" or 12" of fresh you never noticed the wider stance.No problems at all sidehilling and a fun sled to run in the flatlands also.IMO.Traded it for 2012 HCR which seemed to tip much easier than the M 1100 sitting next to it at the new sled show, it's gonna be a long summer waiting to get it.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
How much are they and did you go with all 4 shocks

I was on his M8 sled with all four shocks. He rode mine. I watched my sled beat the crap out of him.
I never got a ferm price on all four but I did hear around $2500. The KMOD full skid is $2500 with two of his shocks. I don't have a clue on the price of the ski shocks. I am going to save my lunch money.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
The stock M8 goes up to 41 wide which is plenty wide for trail riding IMO. I think you will hate the wider stance more in the mountains then you would hate the narrrower stance on the trail.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
even when I am riding back here I tend to find just sitting and flyin down the trail is BORING. I end up riding on one ski more than two. and the 2012's are said to be much better as far as bumps in the trail go....but we shall see.

I think narrow on the flats would be less of a compromise than wide in the backcountry. jmo.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
It really depends on how much trail riding you do I guess. Between the harder compound & the wider stance, I would think the hcr is exactly the right compromise for you.

As for the cooler, putting the CF cooler on an HCR would be gravy, and it only costs about $100 from Michelle.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
From the showroom boondocking and trail riding that I did on the new A/C sleds, I decided the XF high country was the best option. Same stance as the HCR, full coolers, mountain seat, mountain skis and vertical handlebar. I'm going to buy the upgrade kit for the front shocks to turn them into evol's (just like the HCR) costs about $400 installed. I think the 141"should be sufficient with the taller lug

H
Dec 12, 2009
From the showroom boondocking and trail riding that I did on the new A/C sleds, I decided the XF high country was the best option. Same stance as the HCR, full coolers, mountain seat, mountain skis and vertical handlebar. I'm going to buy the upgrade kit for the front shocks to turn them into evol's (just like the HCR) costs about $400 installed. I think the 141"should be sufficient with the taller lug

I've been through the EVOL upgrade, I suggest you either save your money or spend it elsewhere.

Almost no performance difference and you're still stuck with the same float pogo stick you started with.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Yea im wondering if the xtra cost is worth it , maybe a guy would get a decent price for the hcr shocks if i was to sell them? I never liked air shocks , i guess with cat you dont have much choice. Dragging a pump everywhere and chipping off ice to get to the valve was a pain. I prefer a spring collar. If i went with any of the ltds or a snopro the only difference to the hcr would be the stance. I think with any of the Ms ill get rid of the p claw track.

Last edited:
H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
I've been through the EVOL upgrade, I suggest you either save your money or spend it elsewhere.

Almost no performance difference and you're still stuck with the same float pogo stick you started with.

No offense but every time i see a post from you on here its negative! You should stop being such a negative Nancy!:tea:

H
Dec 12, 2009
No offense but every time i see a post from you on here its negative! You should stop being such a negative Nancy!:tea:
You should have asked me about Zbros shocks, I have nothing bad to say about them. And FYI I'm really not that negative, just trying to save a fellow sledder some time and money. I've been there already and wasted that money only to find out they end up just as bad as they started.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah

I was going to say the same thing. For the past few months every post of his comes off super negative very lame sounding. Kind of like he rides a Skidoo and comes over to the Cat sections to spread his negative propaganda.

So... Hyper, If the Evols are so shtty, why are they used by so many pro and semi pro riders? And your negative view of the Power Claw is pretty weak also. There are tracks that work better for some places and conditions than others and some that don't. If you don't like the Power Claw, don't use it! Some people like it!

Stop being such a NEGATIVE NANCY!

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
In defense of hyperduc, there is a pretty big difference from an evol to an evol X. The Evol is very similar to just running an add on chamber like the fett bros one. Still an improvement, but the x is in a whole different ballgame.

I'd still take a pair of evols though, they work pretty well for the money I think.

H
Dec 12, 2009
I was going to say the same thing. For the past few months every post of his comes off super negative very lame sounding. Kind of like he rides a Skidoo and comes over to the Cat sections to spead negative propaganda.

So... Hyper, If the Evols are so shtty, why are they used by so many pro and semi pro riders? And your negative view of the Power Claw is pretty weak also. There are tracks that work better for some places and conditions than others and some that don't. If you don't like the Power Claw, don't use it! Some people like it!

Stop being such a NEGATIVE NANCY!

Guess what my current ride is... 2009 M8 and fyi I love it. Other than a fuel leak at the pump fitting it has been problem free.

I really don't remember any thread where I stated anything about the PC track, you may have to bring me up to speed on that one.

Now for the EVOLS... the fox upgrade to the standard evol is far different than both the evol X and the evol R. When you convert your floats they only add an additional air chamber, you don't have the internal spring that comes on the float 2's and the evol r's and you dont have the red needle valve used for proportioning that the r's feature.

I mentioned they sucked only after he said he might be thinking about converting his and because I had already done it only to find out it was a waste of money. It may have the evol chamber, but it's nowhere near an evol r.

Pros and semi pro what use them..racers, back country guys, hillclimbers?

The shocks that these guys would be using are not going to be upgraded stock floats. More than likely they would use evol x's, but if your talking about serious snow cross and hillclimbing you're going to find that the majority use springs.

Last edited:
Premium Features