• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cut up stock exhaust

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
anyone know what one looks like on the inside?

I thought I saw some pictures a while ago.. but not sure.

Looking for some tips to make my sled quieter.

Thanks

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
wtf? I searched there for a while today... ha ha

Oh well, thanks for the link. You want to invest in having someone build it out of titanium? Along with a set of tie headers? lol

hmm... I don't think aluminum would work, at least not of the tubes and what not. It looks like there isn't any packing in there.

Last edited:

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Yeh, I don't think they use any packing. So the sound level dosen,t change though out the life of the muffler. Just a quess anyways.
It looks fairly complex in there, like a whole bunch of engineering went into it.
Ti would be the way to, if a guy could figure out how to make it quiet......without breaking the bank:face-icon-small-win

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
Yeh, I don't think they use any packing. So the sound level dosen,t change though out the life of the muffler. Just a quess anyways.
It looks fairly complex in there, like a whole bunch of engineering went into it.
Ti would be the way to go, if a guy could figure out how to make it quiet......without breaking the bank:face-icon-small-win

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
just a little
Ti would be the way to, if a guy could figure out how to make it quiet......without breaking the bank:face-icon-small-win
I would say to just build an exact copy in Ti. That way you don't have to build a bunch of them to test for sound output and performance. Just build them and use them.

As to the bank..stop playing accountant in this engineering firm... :face-icon-small-ton

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
The more I look into this, it seems that the tubes are mostly chosen just to fit in the space required. Obviously there is some tuning going on, but for the majority of cut aways that I have seen, they all look really similar, even for cars..

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
I noticed that the two larger tubes change diameter as well. Not sure if that is for noise control, or to change exhaust gas velocity for performance.
I wonder if it would be worth making one out of steel sheet metal (ie cheap and easy) using straight diameter tubes inside. Kind of a proto-type to see how loud it is, before investing in Ti.

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
When I bought my Nytro it had a gutted exhaust on it. It sounded like S***! Example would be a mid 90s Honda civic without a muffler and leaky header; very very raspy and loud. The guy I bought it from said he gutted it by removing all the pipes inside so it was just a empty chamber. I was going to give it away but I decided to turn it in for scrap.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Yah, I am sure it would sound like crap. I was more interested in the design, to try and understand if it would be easy or difficult to create something similar, but much much lighter.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Some muffler pictures
Old Honda something..
old_honda_muffler.jpg

Kawasaki KLR Muffler (dual sport)
klr_muffler.jpg

Honda Shadow muffler (cruiser)
honda_shadow_muffler.jpg

buell muffler
buell_muffler.jpg

some other motorcycle muffler
sv650.gif

Some crasy 08 Honda CBR muffler. I think the flux capacitor is in there somewhere, along with the muffler bearings... Now this thing has some engineering going on!!!
08_cbr_muffler_2.jpg

08_cbr_muffler_1.jpg

For the most part, the mufflers look pretty similar. Three tubes changing direction of the exhaust flow two times. It seems that most of this is a space constraint issue.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
Some crasy 08 Honda CBR muffler. I think the flux capacitor is in there somewhere, along with the muffler bearings... Now this thing has some engineering going on!!!
08_cbr_muffler_2.jpg

08_cbr_muffler_1.jpg

For the most part, the mufflers look pretty similar. Three tubes changing direction of the exhaust flow two times. It seems that most of this is a space constraint issue.[/QUOTE]

Wow!!!! Looks like there is a cat converter in there as well. I'd hate to have buy a new one of those!

Premium Features