• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 nytro chain case help

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Ive had the chain case apart a few times. And evey time it worked fine, but after the last time I'm getting a grinding noise. It only happens when I'm riding down the trail and quickly let of the throttle and coast. If I roll of the throttle, no noise. it sounds to me like the reverse gears are some how engaging and creating the noise. Could the linkage need to be adjusted? and if so does anyone know the specs and procdure?

Thanks id86

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Chaincase

Hey Dave,

1. Make sure you have a washer on the inside of the Reverse Driven Gear nd one on the outside of the Counter Gear (2 small gears).
2. The washer inside the Reverse Gear Assembly (large bottom gears) could have been bumped out of place and the journal may not be seated all the way in.
3. At the top of the linkage arm is a triangular plate that it attaches to. I have bent mine (don't ask me how) and it made it very hard to get in and out of reverse because the linkage was thrown off. If bent far enough it may cause a noise but only in reverse. I'm pretty sure your linkage could not be off far enough to affect the sled moving forward.
4. If you have it apart grab the actual gear shaft and see if it has any play in it. Your bearings may be damaged casuing the noise.
5. Make sure your thrust washers are bowed out away from the driven gear (top one). Also make sure you have the collar with the grove around the middle of in on the inside of the driven gear. If any of the collars are installed incorrectly it will cause the brake disk to stick and the jack shaft as well.
6. After all that it could be as simple as your chain is too tight or to loose. To loose and it will slap against the chain case cover right behind the guard by the plate that is attached to the Reverse Driven Gear shaft. If it it too tight the noise could be the chain stretching over the gears and the excess friction from this. I always back the tension lock nut way off then tighten the adjuster bolt in very snug with a wrench to get any slop out that I would miss doing it by hand. Then I back it off and tighten the bolt by hand until it is finger tight, then I go 1/4 turn with a wrench. Tighten the lock nut and your good.

Hoep this helps if you have not figured it out yet. If you did figure it out post up what the problem was.

Motleyone

Premium Features