• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best time of year to sell a sled?

S
Dec 18, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
In your opinion what is the best time of year to sell a sled? I want a new sled next year and the wife is skeptical if she even enjoys it or not. So we are thinking about selling both our sleds and trailer as a package deal. Would we be better off finishing this season, paying on them all summer and sell them next fall. Or put them up for sell now, not sled the rest of this winter and then not have a payment all summer?

Both Yamaha sleds. One an 06 Vector Mtn SE and a 07 Yamaha Phazer Mtn Light. With a 03 drive on drive off trailer.

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
I dont know if there really is a better time of the year. They wont get sold if they are not for sale. Alot of people will wait till the end of the season thinking they will get a great buy. Then there is the preseason rush to get sleds so people buy then to. Then during the season, people see friends out riding and decide they want to do that to so they buy then. Just put em for sale, you never know

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
In the fall. Some may sell now higher before the new models are released, or new factory incentives that lower the price of brand new units that have full warranty. But Yamaha released their '11 models already, good luck. Prices are tanking on them, reliable but being heavy doesn't cut for alot of powder riders. Enjoy the rest of the winter riding and wait until fall.

S

seth25

Jan 9, 2008
Sedalia, CO
To me, it's all about price. It they are priced right, they will sell at any time. I have sold a snowmobile that was priced right on a 100 degree day. Consider the payments, storage costs, insurance, etc that you will be paying up until the fall and price them accordingly. You may want to price them cheaper and sell now instead of waiting until fall and trying to get top dollar.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Early season when peeps are hot and horny to go riding. Same reason you woudn't try to sell a boat mid winter.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
November. Everyone is excited and giddy for winter. And they haven't spent money on Christmas yet. October is generally decent too.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I think it is REALLY hard to sell a package. You really limit your buyers to someone with no sleds and a ton of money looking to buy newer sleds and get into it full throttle. Most people getting in to sleds for the first time most likely wont be looking to spend 15,000 or more before they know if they like it or not.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Obviously the economy is bad now, but do you want to "give them away?"

I just sold my wife's sled and luckily got what I was asking for it. She was only going 3/4 times a year and we figured it was best to rent for her.

Point being...I wanted to sell the sled and fortunately I was in a position that I didn't have to sell it; as I did get a few low ball offers but wasn't going to give the sled away.

Almost sounds like a similiar situation to yours...might as well post them for sale, maybe they'll sell, maybe they won't...but you don't have to take a huge hit.

Then again, if you found something you like and it's a sweet deal due to the economy, they could off-set each other

Last edited:

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Early fall you will get the most money for them. However, when you have payments, even if you can get, say 800-1000 more, that's going to be offset by how much you're going to have to pay in payments, so in the end you may end up with less. Hope you understand my logic.

I agree with above, sell seperately, and maybe knock off some cash if someone wants every thing, or just the sleds, or a sled and the trailer. But if you're going to sell them put them up now. IMO

Premium Features