• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

longer track

B
Nov 15, 2009
Gunnison Co.
I have a 136 xtra 10 and some extensions for a 121 to 136 can I run a 159 by using these extensions and moving the suspension back? How far do I have to move it thinking like 7" but not sure is this to much to be moving the suspension back? THANKS.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Not sure what this hooks onto, but I would question power, gearing, clutching for this much track.

The extensions on a 136 suspension should allow a 151 without a skid adjustment. I would question whether you want to move the skid back due to excess steering effort and heavy in the nose. If you chose to use the 159, your skid would need to be moved back 4" (half the difference of the track lengths [159-151=8 / 2 = 4"]).

S
Jan 10, 2010
Yes you can move the skid back to get a 159 under it but you will run a very big risk of stabing the track i wouldn,t recomend it ....if you want a longer track ....it would be best to find the proper skid .....rail extentions will bend if you land wrong off a jump

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
Putting extensions on the rails adds a lot of extra leverage moment behind where the rear torque arm connects to the rail. The torque arms are a LOT farther apart on a 151 skid than they are on a 136 xtra 10 (they are farther apart then even a 144 skid). They make the torque arms farther apart for a reason. As the distance increases from the point where the torque arm connects to the rail to the rear idler wheel axle, the leverage moment increases exponentially. Also, a 151 skid has a way better suspension design with a lot more travel.

I've seen rails that were bent from having extensions. I've never seen any rails that were bent that didn't have extensions (not saying it's never happened). I personally wouldn't extend any 136 to more than 144. Considering the decent demand and resale value of a 136 xtra 10 vs what you can get a used 144 or 151 RMK skid, I wouldn't bother extending an xtra 10.

Putting 7.5" extensions on a 136 xtra 10 is a lot like putting a long bed truck on a short bed chassis IMO.

B
Nov 15, 2009
Gunnison Co.
Well it's done. moved it back 4" added those extensions. Seems ok I appreciate all of your input. Got the 159x1.5 track for free mint condition and have a few of these 136 susp. around so I'll see today how she goes. Not much of a jumper more of a shuttler (canadian style not butt to nut) to make laps in the backcountry. The sled was a 133.5 500 sport. I know 500-159 not enough hp. We'll find out today . Let ya know tonight:eek:

B
Nov 15, 2009
Gunnison Co.
So all and all it worked pretty stinking good. Wear the sled woulda got stuck before wasn't even a problem. Gotta gear her down a bit, and till we get some more snow. Wont know for sure but the 500 seems ok with it we had 2 of us on there all day no problems some long climbs to. Yea a buddy worked for camoplast and had a few tracks in his barn to give away.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho

good to hear that it worked for you. That 500 is a pretty solid engine, I had around 10,000 miles (3 sets o pistons and one crank) on mine when I traded it for more parts for other sleds.

Premium Features