• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

plug and wash reading.. tuning help

N
Oct 1, 2008
Boise, ID
I have a boondockers pg kit on a 08 700 dragon. I have a couple questions on plug readings and wash. do you have to install new plugs for every plug reading? and can you tell the cylinder wash by removing the plugs and using a flash light instead of removing the head.

I've ridden the sled once since I've installed the kit and it ran great.. the plugs were cinnamon brown. The EGTS seems pretty low in temp. didn't get above 1150. I didn't have the ebc yet so I was
riding at what ever the actuator was set at. max boost was 6.2psi on 92octain pump gas at 5000-9500ft. I'll be installing the EBC this week so I wanted to get ready to be ready to tune, any info will help. Thanks Nick

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Actually new plugs make reading them much harder. It helps if they have a few miles on them. Reading the wash can be difficult to do. I have a borescope and you still can't see the whole piston with the one I have. I have used a mini flashlight with a 4" long flexible tip that is the most helpful, it can be inserted into the plug hole to help light up the piston.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I use THIS bore scope from Snap-On. A little pricey, but you will find that you use it for a ton of other stuff too. It has a magnet tip for the camera head as well so when you find that nut under the engine you can surf the camera to it and snap, you got it. Has a 90* head/mirror to look into tough to read ports or valve seats. There is a video out RCA jack so you can easily plug it into your video camera and save a video image of the wash to take back to your "piston wash" expert buddies to look at. Not that I ever had to do that. lol. You can also look right up the Y-Pipe to see piston skirt wear or ring land issues on your Dragon, again, not that I ever had to do that. lol. lol...........sorry, not funny.

This is a great tool to have. Once you've had it for a while you wonder how you got by without it. Get 5 buddies to throw in $100 a piece if money is tight and share it. There may be other brands out there for cheaper too, but I know the Snap-On works great and will stand behind it if you hit the electric start with it down the hole. Not that I ever did that.. Good luck. EW

S

snofoshow

Feb 16, 2009
I have a hard time reading a plug and piston that is on a turbo sled with race gas. They always look lean to me.

Premium Features