• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

converting SDI to carbs

Z

ZX 950

Dec 25, 2009
anybody ever do it or can it be done convert 03 800 SDI to carbs? like the sled but the motor with the SDI is a POS. bottom end and piston problems because no fuel going thru bottom end.

Yes you could, but what problems are you having? Maybe it's just fixable in the SDI system itself....

But they were doing it with the RT's, you could either use the injector plugs they were using and use your cylinders, or find 600 carb cylinders, shy of that just carbs, and then you would have to run a fuel pressure regulator off the stock pump to not over flow your carbs. The biggest issue is what to do with the computer, either find a carb MPEM, or some of the Cat guys just lay the injectors in the bottom of the bellypan, it has to be done to trick the computer into thinking that everything is alright with the injectors and not put it into limp mode.

But again...what problems are you having? The stock SDI 600 sleds were very reliable, the only issue the RT's had were all because of a poor sealing airbox that allowed belt dust into the bottom end, and because no fuel it built up, killing cranks, so the fix was just to run pods, or some sort of air filter.

Z

ZX 950

Dec 25, 2009
it scores a piston every now and then, intake side. no reason and random side. dealer said they got a bulletin to run only synthetic oil because regular oil can't take the heat in the bottom end because of no fuel to cool it. bought it used last year and put 150 miles on and took a piston. rebuilt it put 60 miles on this year took the other piston. I have a carb mepm box from an 03 rev I traded for this. also a set of carbs. Can I just take the electronic box off and put the carb box on? The local dealer, not the one I bought it from said they had alot of problems with 800. the 600's work good. I guess it is a heat problem with the 8's.

My buddy had a RT 1000 that we put a crank it, motor had 2500 miles on it and the crank bearings started going, when we took it apart the isoflex grease in the bearings were black with belt dust and even pulled a piece of belt string out of one of them, so we linked it to the horrible sealing airbox, we talked to a bunch of people who had run pods from day one and didn't have any issues. The problem comes from that the fuel through the bottom ends keep crap from building up, since it offers some sort of a solvent, remove that, nothing gets washed away.

If you're scuffing pistons my bet would be something wrong with the fuel system, not enough fuel pressure? You running EGT's? What does your plug color/piston wash look like?

The only issue is your cylinders have the injector ports that run into the tunnel ports on your SDI motor, you would have to find some way of plugging them.

Premium Features