• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need jeting help!

need some help with jeting guys! the 2003 800ho engine i got came with 520 mains in it. that seems way to rich at 0-3000ft. not sure if the guy was having mid throttal lean conditions so he uped him mains to try and get rid of it or what! i need some help with a good base line. it needs to be a safe setup, so i dont mind if its still a little rich.

my setup

2003 800ho out of a mxz with the carbs off of the 800 too.
MPEM hot trail recurve
jaws new 800 pipe and can
pods of the 600

i was reading on doo talk that the 800 at sea level was having a real problem with leaning at 6000 to 6800 rpms. they were saying to get 22.5 pilots and puting in an extra shim .020 or .002 in the needel? have no idea what that means. last was the mains. i was thinking it old be around 400 - 460 but i dont know.

please help!!!!!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
The 800HO factory installed Snow Hawk came with 490's get an assortment from 500's - 450's and figure it out, ride and look at the plugs for the right color while watching for your peak RPM. Of course your clutching needs to be equivilant to same machine or MXZ Ski-Doo.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
is there any sea level 800 trail riders in here with some advice?

Theres a way to learn about your machine and really gain some valuable exp.. The mid range leaning wont be the jets.. Start playing with it and you'll learn far more than just pluging in whatever works for someone else..
It sounds like your running Kleins and not Mukunis??

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
You need to figure out which carbs you have, there are two different needle jets and the main jet size will change drasticilly with the two.

Look down the bore of the carb, and where the needle goes into the needle jet, do you see what looks like a half moon hood sticking out of the carb (it will be brass colored). or is the needle jet flat?

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
You need to figure out which carbs you have, there are two different needle jets and the main jet size will change drasticilly with the two.

Look down the bore of the carb, and where the needle goes into the needle jet, do you see what looks like a half moon hood sticking out of the carb (it will be brass colored). or is the needle jet flat?

+1 those #s above dont match what a set of 40 flatsides should be set at.. the needles should be adjustable heres the setting Im running on the 700 with pods and 40mm racks
45 pilots, 330 and 350 mains, clip on second notch.fuel screw out 1/2 turn. works great.. I wouldnt think the 8 would be that much diff.. Im riding from 3000 up.. if anything Im still slightly rich..
It took three tries to get here.. you will have to get a base line and go from there..

T
Feb 26, 2008
Jetting

There was a problem with mid range lean-ness but it was with the power tek 800's. If your carbs are from a ski-doo then the needles won't have any different grooves for the clip position, that's why they shim the needles up or down. The mains aren't going to have much affect on the midrange - that's what the needle controls. I think that where you are now will be a good starting point, being too rich won't hurt anything during your testing like it would if it's too lean. A 2001 ski-doo 800 ran 500 mains with an airbox and stock exhaust the 700's ran 520 mains stock. In '02 & '03 the 800's came with 520's. The needle jets are a press fit in the carb body that shouldn't be played with and the needles should be a 9ZLY2 or something like that.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
03 was a change over year, the carbs could have the hooded needle jet or the non-hooded. needle's and main jet's a different. look at a ski-doo spec book for 03 and 04. drastic changes.

either way you should be safe with what is in there to run it. if it has the hooded needle jet you will be way fat, if not you should still be ok as the ski-doo factory recomendations were fat also.

D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
biggest thing is to get a bore light and watch your piston wash,pricess auto has the little light for $10 and read up on piston wash so you know what to look for...like was said to learn about it yourself and set up proper ,it will keep you from following someone ealses mistake possibly and every engine will be a bit different ..your probably washing clean right now step it down progressivly untill you are around a half inch of wash..one of the problems with a new engine can be people staying on the heavy rich side for security and the engine never brakes in proper as it hasent got hot enough to brake in properly ,then hammer on it and get excessive wear and severly shorten the life..a little rich is fine but dont be excessivly rich....the mid range lean is there with a few engines best way to address it is not to maintain a steady throttle for more than 10 seconds at that spot, on and off the throttle through the midrange.....

Premium Features