• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo xp is runing badass!!!

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
well... I did my own kit because their are some things I wanted that no one else offered and I just wanted to do it myself. I have lots of experiance with turbo street bikes, but this is my first turboed sled and a carbed one at that. I wasn't sure if I wanted to turbo my xp because of the carbs. but after reading the carbed 2 stroke thread a hundred times, watching a few turbo xp videos, every picture I could find of a turbo rev and xp, and posts by gus and info from dave at r&d turbo werks I decided to go for it. Thank you to dave at r&d for some help on the phone and the parts. If I was to buy a kit right now it would be a R&D turbo kit. Mike at cpi was also great on the phone with some advice and got a turbo pipe out to me right away.
I used a garrett 2871 with the tial stainless turbine houseing (turbo weighs 10lbs, 2 oz), tial mvs external wastegate, tial Q bov, cpi turbo pipe, boyesen turbo reeds, dynomo joe qr11 helix, 20.7 grams on clicker 3, and dynomo joe mountain ramps.
Holly ****... The thing rips. I was doing every thing I posibly could to get good throttle responce. I had a slp pipe, and head last year. Several others have got the same setup after riding mine and love it. much better throttle responce and mid range power then a stock xp. My TURBO xp has as good as throttle reponce as the xp with slp pipe and head with a **** load more top end power. It just keeps on pulling and never stops. This is only on 7psi and pump gas. I only have 3 days on it, but it has ran better then I expected. It runs great from 5,500' to about 7,000'. Once I get around 7,000' and above it looses the midrange power a little and throttle responce drops off. Still pulls like crazy on the top. On the first day it sputterd and loaded up bad at 8,500' on the bottom end. Second day I started going backwards, but had it runing better by the end of the day. On the 3rd day (today) I got it to where it was not sputtering, but wasn't nearly as good mid range and throttle responce as 6,500' and below. So I will be doing some more tuning and trying some things with the carbs to hopefully get the throttle responce and midrange to work above 7,000' as good as it does at 5,500-6,500'.
Overal I am pretty happy that it has ran as good as it has with relativly very little tuning. just turning the power jets a little and playing with the fuel pressure. Right now I just have the power jets set for above 7,000' and stoped when we hit the trail on the way home to turn the power jets out for lower elevation down the trail and across the lake.
Sure is fun making climbs and the front skiis never touch the snow the whole way up and you have to let out so it does not go over backwards. :D This is with a 154. Can't wait to turn it up to 10lbs of boost.
I am just happy that the sled has ran so well from the get go with no real issues except some tuning.
Sorry I do not have any pics. The second I got it done I loaded up and headed to the cabin to ride. I didn't bring the camera. I will take pics when I get back into town on sunday or monday. Sorry no video either since I don't own a video camera. I will have to see about barrowing some ones.

Last edited:
B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Cook sounds like alot of fun. I would love to be their to meet everyone else and see how their sled runs.
I didn't have any plans for it though and probably will not go. I try to sled as much as I can, but keep it local to keep the cost down. Their is alot of good riding around here. Praying for more snow right now. :D Bring on the bottomless days. Can't wait.

G
Apr 23, 2008
Good job man, !!!
There really are pretty damn easy, no rocket science or college degree required !!!

The response will get better WITHOUT the raves . check the carb thread as more have elected to try my suggestion with great success... boost is instant when the potato is out of the pipe..LOL

Have fun with it and keep the updates coming..

On a side note,, gald to see ALL the turbo boys are using garretts now !!!!
This will equalize their performance in the field and gives them a top notch product..

The CPI pipe is NOT a good choice for on off throttle,, the response is soft.
PM me for the details if your interested.

Gus

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
it runs great at 5,500' to around 7,000'. throttle responce is great. way better then a stocker. about as good as a xp with a slp pipe and head wich runs great.
it just loads up and sputters on the bottom end at higher elevations. I am going to try adjusting the air screws and maybee close the power jets to test bottom end to see if maybee they are passing fuel at part throttle and idleing.
I am planing to disable the power valves. just havn't got to it yet. I will do it next week when i get back in town.
the cpi pipe is a pipe specifically built for turbo's. Not their normal pipe for a NA xp.
pm sent gus. :cool:

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I won't really disclose that. I will just say alot more then you may think. Plus I had several things already sitting here at the house from my turbo, nitrous, and supercharged bikes. I got alot of **** sitting out in the garage. If I didn't already have so much sitting around it would have taken a bit longer to complete and cost more. All the little fittings. Plus how much time do you have and how much is your time worth? Alot of time spent working on the sled, finding parts, looking up parts, driving around town to get little fittings and other misc stuff that day so you can work on it, etc.
plus I wish I did, but I do not have a big enough garage and all the tools to machine, and weld everything. So I have a local shop do all that for me.
I can say the next one will be a bit easier, better, and quicker to do. Their are a few little things that I will redo on mine when I have the time. It is time to ride right now.

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
Great job building the kit yourself, I know what you went through as far as buying parts daily and the hours involved. Have you checked the raves? I only had about 10 miles of low elevation testing and then one day in the hills and the raves were blown apart, it ran like a toilet like that.

IMG_0733.jpg

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Great job building the kit yourself, I know what you went through as far as buying parts daily and the hours involved. Have you checked the raves? I only had about 10 miles of low elevation testing and then one day in the hills and the raves were blown apart, it ran like a toilet like that.

ummmm, should have gone with an 860, it is almost to hard to hold on to, but then again, I am old, BWAHAHAHAHHA!!! :D

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID

that sucks. I am sure the ravs are still fine so far. it still runs great at low elevations. I am leaving in the mourning and will not be back untill sun or mon. I will block the ravs open when I get back. hopefully they last that long.

Idaho slim. you must be old. if your 860 is hard to hold onto I would definatly recomend straping yourself to a turbo xp. You will fall off. :D

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
that sucks. I am sure the ravs are still fine so far. it still runs great at low elevations. I am leaving in the mourning and will not be back untill sun or mon. I will block the ravs open when I get back. hopefully they last that long.

Idaho slim. you must be old. if your 860 is hard to hold onto I would definatly recomend straping yourself to a turbo xp. You will fall off. :D

Yep he's old, his first sled had square idlers.

J

jmoore

Dec 15, 2007
WYO

Leave them in!!! There is a new solution to that problem!!!;)

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I have watched the video one time. I guess that's why we all have different ways of designing and building kits. I have always modded the stock valve in the open position and now just delete the valve--for better response. Those who have tried, understand and the others are still in denial.

Dave

I know you have watched the video over and over!! They are in every sled I have put together.:eek:

J

jmoore

Dec 15, 2007
WYO
I agree to each their own!! Guess we will just let the sleds do the talking.;)
You guys are still planning on being in Cooke City?? We will just go pound on these things there.:beer;

Premium Features