• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steering Stem

O

octanefam

Oct 19, 2009
Puyallup, WA
How many of you have re enforced the steering stem by putting some sort of rod inside the top side of the stem and what did you use?

Thanks

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
We did it to both of our Mtn Maxes when we bought them. On mine, I bought the MPI piece and drove it inside. On my dads, we used schedule 80 pipe that fit tight inside. We just had to make a groove for the welded seam that is inside the post. We just used the chop saw to make the groove. We drove it in and cut off the excess.

Either way, it's easy and makes it alot stronger.

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
my bars actually broke off last year. i did the same drove in sched.80 then gusseted the plate on top. also i drilled a couple of holes in the post and a little into the sched.80 pipe and welded them back up. i was going to make a whole new post with riser and all but bought a new sled.....it was cheaper!lol

Last edited:
P
Nov 14, 2009
Sorry to hack your thread but I also had the same question. What size or diameter pipe was used to do this? I am getting ready to make 8" risers and don't want the post to break off and stick me in the chest !!

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I broke mine off a couple years ago. Wile on a nasty hillside. (With a MPI stiffener installed) Not a good place at all. I had a machine shop take a piece of sold round bar and turned it down to be a snug fit in the stem. Then I cut the groove for the weld inside the stem. I welded the plate on top of the post then I drove it in and spot welded it to the existing stem. I extended my post by 6". Did it add weight YES but I will not have to worry about it braking off again.

Premium Features