• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

extra-10 shock location

G

gogglefurnace

Dec 10, 2007
lava, idaho
on the front upper shock mount on a xtra-10 skid there are two holes. generally the shocks are mounted in the top hole. what changes when you go to the lower hole. softer or firmer? i know there is a little more preload which to me means firmer, but it also changes the angle of the shock as it is compressed. i'm trying to keep the suspension as soft as i can for a 60# kid. thanks fellers:beer;:beer;:beer;

G

gogglefurnace

Dec 10, 2007
lava, idaho
shock

[o QUOTE=BB454;2030537]Softer when mounted below the cross shaft, back off the preload too. Affect weight transfer too.[/QUOTE]

the only thing i don't get is the center to center on the lower mount is 3/4 " shorter than the top so this would create more preload. as far as transfer goes i'm guessing it gets up on powder better? if its softer up front does it make the rear link quicker? this is going on a 340 lite gt and i've read that the lower hole compromises trail ability. i'm still not sure.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
I think the distance is shorter because the preload needs to be increased due to the increase in leverage moment. In the lower/forward position, the ratio of torque arm movement to shock movement increases (the shock spring compresses less with the same amount of downward movement of the torque arm), hence more leverage.

I moved the shock to the lower/forward position on an SKS with xtra 10 suspension and I definitely noticed an improvement in the ability to stay on top of deep snow (did the same thing with my edge rmk skid and my wife's xtra lite rmk skid). I didn't see any degradation in trail-ability. I did notice that it seemed to soften the suspension a bit over all. I changed the rear spring blocks from soft to medium position.

G

gogglefurnace

Dec 10, 2007
lava, idaho
skid

thanks. i get it now. a feat of engineering. do you know how the blocks on the rear of the xtra-10, i think the are the frss& rrss, make the suspension react compared to the front shock mounting posistions? i don't have a owners manual for this skid and i am trying to learn all i can before i put it under the lite gt.

Premium Features