• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 summit 7 recoil problems

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
hopefully somebody can shed some light on this. my cousin has an 03 summit 700 and the damn recoil keeps melting. pretty much just the pawl that engages the engine.

i rebuilt this recoil for him this fall with all new parts. ran the engine long enough to get it on the trailer. he rode from the parking lot in cooke city up to the split of lulu and round lake trails. shut it off and talked for a min, went to start it, nothing.

what could be causing this to happen? heat from the can? i added shock tower venting to both sides this year and also vented a little below the choke lever.

he put on some of that ceramic tape stuff. fabric on the can and the aluminum foil was on the outside. he said that it melted the foil. could this can be doing it? its a superlite by PPP.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Have you put reflective alum. foil tape on the recoil cover? That was part of an update on the 02 800s.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
This week:

Recoil1.jpg

Recoil2.jpg

Recoil3.jpg

Pic from last season:

The pawls are made from a "Heat Stabilized" material. Looked real good on the temp chart, but not so good on the cost charts. :eek:

RecoilsPawls.jpg

Pic from a few dayz ago:

SnowMachineDec_20_09.jpg

There is a new tunnel on my truck - with a LOT of work needed.

Last edited:
P
Nov 1, 2006
Yakima, Wa. USA
melting recoil

You might need to take a look at at the end bearings on your crank. If ther is no isoflex grease in there for lubrication this would generate a massive amount of heat, whick in turn would melt the recoil pawl from the inside. Not a bad idea to to regrease the crank end bearings periodically, however, it is a lot of work. If this is what happened then it's time for a crank service anyway. . .

Good luck

poodoo808
Yakima, Wa USA

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
The pawls are made from a "Heat Stabilized" material. Looked real good on the temp chart, but not so good on the cost charts. :eek:

RecoilsPawls.jpg

Huh looks likes you got some time and $$$ in that little endeavor... are the pawls gonna be strong enough? Are you looking to sell those and if so, how much?

D
put a heat sheild between the can and recoil. Take a piece of aluminum and bend it with about a 1 inch flange and drill holes to match the can mounting bolts. make it high enough to go above the the recoil. this stopped the problem on my 03 700 and on my buddy's 01 700. both were fine stock but when we installed cans, they damaged the recoils.

the aluminum tape on the recoil was added also

Premium Features