• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What were the stock clutch springs for a '96 670 Summit?

E
Nov 20, 2009
SLC, Utah
First off, thanks to BanditPC for the excellent clutch links. I now know enough to be dangerous. :)

If anyone knows the stock values, I'd appreciate a tap with the clue stick.

I'm putting in new springs per this forums excellent advice, and I would like to improve my backshift so I am thinking of going with a slightly stiffer secondary. I'm OK with losing some top end speed. In the steep and deep I don't think I am going to get to full shift out with a stock 670 anyway.

The primary I will leave stock I think, since I can fiddle with the clickers if I feel like it. Pin weight also stays where it is for now.

I have searched the various forums and places that sell new springs, but have come up dry. The online fiche also just list it as "spring, release - $24.99" :)

If anyone has a recommendation for what springs to use, I'd like to hear that too. Keep in mind I'm stock and still running the original 136 x 1.5 track at about 6 -7 thousand where I ride.

Also, any rule of thumb on how warm the clutches should get? Under easy riding conditions, off trail just leisurely wandering in a foot of new snow and a nice base, should I be able to lay my hand on the sheaves and leave it there? Several posts have referenced temperature as a good way to know if your clutch is in the ballpark, but no guidelines are given.

Thanks again, guys.

The stock spring for 96 was
N 415 0153 00 Spring (Violet/Yellow)

BUT, IIRC that spring was way to soft engagement
My notes say it was 100/320 Lbs

I was told by a good friend that the pink/white worked WAY better.
415019300 230/380 Lbs I am running this spring, but with adjustable pin's

As for clutch temp, it shouldnt matter how hot they are, that will vary on snow, riding style, etc, what should be the same and equal is the temps between them. Meaning the primary should not be alot hotter than the secondary, or vice versa. \as long as clutch temps are pretty even, then they are performing well.

Last edited:
Premium Features