• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XLT drop bracket problems

U
Jan 5, 2009
i put a new 136 track and fabricated a set of drop brackets that drop the track down about 3 inches. the springs, shocks and everything about the skid are A-OK. but the suspension just bottoms out with the new drop brackets. am i missing something here?

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
I suspect that when you dropped the rear you changed the geometry(angle) of the rear scissors. They're probably at a "flatter" angle than they were before you put the drop brackets on. jmho :beer;

U
Jan 5, 2009
well, i dropped the front an inch and the rear about 4. it just sank like i parked my truck on it. so, i cut a half inch off about 4 times till the bracket was 2 inches from the stock position. it wound up putting too much force on the rear of the skid and not ANY on the front. after i spent 4 or 5 hours on those STUPID brackets, i painted them john deere green! (it was the only color i had.)

M
Jul 9, 2009
I think your spacing from the front mount to the bracket is too far. It would do with the geometry, When you lowered it you also extended the distance between the mounts. I had the same problem with mine when I swapped skids and moving the drop brakets forward solved the problem. make sure to get the right mesurement from the drive to the front mount and from the drive to the rear mount and it will most likley be 2-4 inches off. I mention cause mine did the exact same thing. Good luck

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
????

i have a 1996 xlt rmk i was going to put the drop kit on how do i do it and will it mess my suspention to?

It should work fine if you make sure to keep the distance between pivots the same as before. Drop the front arm into the bottom hole on the tunnel and lower the rear at least the same amount. Keep the distance between the pivots the same as stock. Keep the distance between the pivots the same as stock. Trust me on this, I learned the hard way.

Premium Features