• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Make legitimate location mandatory

Thread Rating
3.00 star(s)

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
I think that a location that the profile is from should be mandatory (lots of other sites make it this way and it seems to work well)

It will keep people from getting too stupid in their comments and will certainly make the classified section a better place to be.

I know there are many others who have expressed this opinion over the years, hope you can do it.

Kirk

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Patients grasshopper, a major overhaul of the swapmeet is coming and this is just one of the concerns that will be addressed. Christopher is working hard to make the site better for all.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The problem is how do we COMPELL the current 34,000 membes to go back and enter that information in.?

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
The problem is how do we COMPELL the current 34,000 membes to go back and enter that information in.?

Pretty tough Christopher.

Plus how do you insure that it is accurate? That is likely impossible unless you used IP based geo-location. And that is easily defeated and problematic at best.

As much as I would like to see a HUGE increase in user accountability, this seems like a waste of time to me.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Could it be put on by the moderators, kinda how they do it on totallyamaha. As someone posts without their location, the moderator will remind them to kindly put their location on.

If they do not do it, simply take away their posting rights (not sure what ty does if they do not put location on, but this would be my choice for penalty). I realize there will always be a few pricks who think this is some infringement on their personal liberties blah blah blah, but it would make for a better forum in the long run.

My opinion

kirk
from GARWIN iowa and no problem with anyone knowing it LOL.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
I agree it should be mandatory. I really can't see a good reason not to put it up unless you have something to hide.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
On totally yamaha, they make it mandatory. The do this by mods informing people that do not have it filled out, to fill it out. You only need posters to have it filled out anyways...

It would be interesting to have a map of all the users... Would be kind of cool to see where everyone is from.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Right now, as the system stands, SnoWest does NOT know where people live, so there is no way for me to go back into the system and fill in that data.

We ARE working on solving that problem going FORWARD, but that solution is probably a few weeks out yet.

Premium Features