• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rev XP Clutch Alignment

I have been looking at either a new 09 xpx or very slightly used 08xpx. I recently was told that the 08 and 09 structures that hold the engine in place can be compromised with a sharp hit to one ski or the other. As there are none of these sleds where i am right now (and my curiosity has gotten the better of me) I would like your guys' experiences on this matter. Thanks in advance..

A
They're like anything else, hit them just right they'll break. 3 stumps last season, over the bars each time, no damage that I could find...knock wood. Don't let all the hype online scare you away from the funniest sled I've ever ridden.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i ski tagged a tree once,no problem.with the fun factor you get out of riding the xp.that wouldnt stop me from buying another one.it looks pop can cheezy under there,but i dont care:)

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
I will be honest with you, Ive smashed mine into some things that should have broke or bent it. It didnt bend, crinkle or crush like people say it will. That includes taking out a 6 inch tree at 50 mph out of control down a chute...

Now, a friend of mine was wide open, carving on one ski, up and over a rise and clipped a stump. That wrenched the sled like what you are saying but it would have wiped out any chassis on the market.

Buy one, ride it and start having the fun only an XP can provide!

Jake

tactic

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ontario
Hit a rock hard enough last year to shear off upper and lower a-arms and the rest of the front-end is fine.

R

Rally2

Dec 2, 2007
Alberta
There's alot more give when hitting a tree verses hitting a rock

Very true, it comes down to momentum & energy transfer. A tree moving even a few inches will absorb a lot of the kinetic energy of the machine. Hitting a rock that doesn't budge means the machine's frame has to absorb all the energy (bending stuff).

R
Aug 6, 2008
Dirty Toes Idaho
I hit a a tree at about 30 MPH in deep snow while climbing steep and carving on my left ski( trying to pull my sled away from the tree) I drilled it. stopped me dead in my tracks. I hit H..A...R...D. it buckled the Emodule, I had to file an Insurance claim forthat one, they have to pull the "whole motor" to replace the emodule, It wasnt cheap( about 2K) but like i said, Insurance paid for that one. My point being : There is not a sled that has ever been built or that will be built that will hold up to that kind of force. I LOVE MY SLED!

I've hit a lot of stuff pretty hard and so far no damage except for some plastics and front grab bar. I wouldn't trade this sled for anything. Also I've been hit by an M6 at over 30 mph (I was stopped and the guy still ran into me! :mad: ) And all it did was bend the front grab bar. It did more damage to his sled then to mine tho so that made me happy but he never did pay for the damage to my sled.

Last edited:
K

khaddon2110

Aug 17, 2006
Idaho
mine is in right now getting an estimate for repairs........

I pegged a irrigation culvert at about 60mph. It looked like it was just a bent lower a arm but after a season of 700+miles on the new arm, something continued bending after the fact because now my shock is rubbing the a arm on the other side and looks like my spindle is tweaked on the impact side. One ski is back from the other by about 1.5 inches.....

Pray for a total and into a 2010

L
I had an 08 and now I have an 09. I have had quite a few hard hits and haven't had any noticable damage. I have been reading however about the upper and lower a-arm supports from Grip and Rip Racing. The reports on them is sometimes impacts transfer through the a-arms without doing any damage, but then parts of the frame (s-module and E-module) bend/crack. The braces are supposted to strengthen this connection on the a-arms and cause them to take the majority of the impact.

this is mostly what I have ready, but for $110, I guess it is cheap insurance - mine are on order...

Premium Features