• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Differential

J
Jan 30, 2008
Connell, WA
So I just picked up this pickup about a week ago and was doing a full service on it just so I had peace of mind that everything was fresh and this is when I stumbled across my problem. I was dumping the fluid out of the rear differential when I came across two parts of the side gears shims stuck to the magnet. I decided to pull the carrier out to replace these shims since I already had the cover. I pulled the axles and the carrier caps and began the process of pulling the carrier. Now weve pulled carriers before and know that they can be stubborn but this one will not budge. Weve tryed prying and even a come along but the darn thing refuses to come out. So I guess my question is, has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do to get the carrier out. Any advice would be appriciated at this point.

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
Takes a special tool to go into the carrier adjuster screw caps from the axle tubes. You might want to mark the adjusters before you back them off. What we did was mark both adjusters then backed off only one side 2 turns. We also fabricated that special tool, it was fairly simple to do. Throw a light in the housing and look down the tubes, it will be obvious. Also it is easier if you pop out the axle bearings.
The 98 dodge 1500 is notorious for failed pinion bearings. Look closly, guessing that is what you got going on.

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
Minocqua, WI/ Foxboro, WI
You need an axle spreader. I had to use it on mine when i changed from 3:55 to 4:10. it takes quite a bit to get it spread. I'll see if I can post a pic of it tonight when I get home.

H
Jan 10, 2002
PF, Idaho
Takes a special tool to go into the carrier adjuster screw caps from the axle tubes. You might want to mark the adjusters before you back them off. What we did was mark both adjusters then backed off only one side 2 turns. We also fabricated that special tool, it was fairly simple to do. Throw a light in the housing and look down the tubes, it will be obvious. Also it is easier if you pop out the axle bearings.
The 98 dodge 1500 is notorious for failed pinion bearings. Look closly, guessing that is what you got going on.

What he said ^^^^^^^

I also have the tool if you can't find one. its homemade. Basically its a pipe with a large nut to fit side adjuster in tube and a small nut on other end to get a wrench on it.

I used a axle spreader on the front.

Ive changed a 97 from 3.55s to 4.10s.

Premium Features