• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cummins durability?

i have been thinking about upgrading the '02 powerstroke and was looking at getting an '06 cummins. Grandpa was talking to a friend and mentioned this and this friend said the local dodge dealer had replaced 75 diesel engines in 2004 and up trucks. (I only know of 1 and it was HEAVILY modified). I love my ford but have always thought the 5.9 cummins to be mostly rock solid. Your thoughts?

D
Dec 5, 2008
Lookout pass
cummins

I sold my performance companies 2 yrs ago,Dr.performance and predator.Tried all makes.If I could give some advice I would not buy a 04 to 07 dodge.Lots of problems even if they are stock.The 6.7 is upgrade,at least the valve seats dont fall out,but they have injector issues.They also have EGR'S and particulate traps.So the milage is down to 15 or so.The 7.3 is reliable but not a real strong performer.The 6.0 ford have injector problems and also variable vain issue's.I run a Ford with a 03 5.9 cummins with the bugs worked out.I have 385k miles on it and runs 546hp at the rear wheels and pull my 23k pound trailer.Lots of work but gets great milage and is dependable.I guess they all have there issues including the duramax.Doc

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Check out

www.cumminsforum.com

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com

Both have lots of good info

In 04.5 they changed to the 325 hp and 610 ft lbs

A few more injector problems but in 05 or 06 they changed the valve seats

I've heard a few of the valve seat problems on the 03-04 on the internet, but never talked to anyone that has had it happen. A lot of people are saying it is caused by high egts. So those with programmers who don't watch gauges or those who tow 30k are prone to problems. If it did happen to me, I would say upgrade to the 06 head, stud and o-ring it. Hopefully you could get away with a new piston and call it good.

Any of the 03-07 trucks are pretty problem free. Biggest problem is probably the lift pump, but that is minor and easily fixed.

Hear about U-joints, ball joints and injectors here and there, but I don't consider them problematic.

Also, don't forget that some of the trucks that have had engine problems are usually heavily modified. There are a lot of trucks putting out 600-700 hp or more.

Theres lots common rail trucks on those forums that have over 300k and never have had the valve cover off.

All being said, I love my 03 and would not hesitate to buy any 03-07 Cummins.

As Doc mentioned the 7.3 isn't bad at all, just not much power. Run far away from the 6.0.

The 01-04 LB7 Duramaxes are good although they did have the injector recall. I would stay away from the 04.5-05 LLY IMO. The 06-07 are in between.

I personally would prefer an 99-03 7.3, 03-07 Cummins, or 01-04 Duramax over any of the new trucks with DPF and EGR. But thats just me.

Last edited:
S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
glenn said it very well.

03-04 305/555 is an awesome motor but tough to find with low miles.main changes on the 04.5-07 motor was 2 more injection events during each powerstroke, 62/10 turbo vs the 56/9 on an 03-04 cr, catalytic converter, and a turbo that has a electronic wastegate.like glenn said i surely wouldn't shy away from an 06. 115,000 now on my 04.5 with the only issue being a apps sensor.

M
Feb 6, 2008
Draper, UT
I sold my performance companies 2 yrs ago,Dr.performance and predator.Tried all makes.If I could give some advice I would not buy a 04 to 07 dodge.Lots of problems even if they are stock.The 6.7 is upgrade,at least the valve seats dont fall out,but they have injector issues.They also have EGR'S and particulate traps.So the milage is down to 15 or so.The 7.3 is reliable but not a real strong performer.The 6.0 ford have injector problems and also variable vain issue's.I run a Ford with a 03 5.9 cummins with the bugs worked out.I have 385k miles on it and runs 546hp at the rear wheels and pull my 23k pound trailer.Lots of work but gets great milage and is dependable.I guess they all have there issues including the duramax.Doc
umm what? care to elaborate?

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
i have been thinking about upgrading the '02 powerstroke and was looking at getting an '06 cummins. Grandpa was talking to a friend and mentioned this and this friend said the local dodge dealer had replaced 75 diesel engines in 2004 and up trucks. (I only know of 1 and it was HEAVILY modified). I love my ford but have always thought the 5.9 cummins to be mostly rock solid. Your thoughts?

Great truck, you would not be disapointed in the upgrade.

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
Well mine is a little older, 97 12v p-pump with a 5spd, just turned 190,000 miles power at the rear wheels- 452hp-871trq It take some parts to get there but this was all done 100,000 miles ago have not had a single problem.I do understand this is not the motor most people will be looking at. It is fun to drive!

thanks for the replies guys. think ill go ahead and get one in the next few months. love the powerstroke but want a little more. also tired of the auto tranny. my first truck was a manual and i miss that really bad

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Had 115,000 miles on my 04.5 5.9L 325/600 without problems and now have 54,000 on my 07 5.9L 325/610. Both are lifted with programmers, air intake, and exhausts. I love them.

M

Moosehumper

Mar 27, 2009
In a van, down by the river!
Reliabilty is not even a question with a Cummins... The truck will fall off the frame first. I wouldn't entertain the thought of any other. They have been good for me.
My 91 250 4x4 / w/ (195/?)-stock had 598000Kms when I sold it - 1 trans. auto & 2 injector pumps -still see it around town....
My 99 2500 4x4 /w 5.9 (235/?) chip, exhaust, intake on 35" rubber had 570000Kms when I traded it in. Replaced 1 clutch 5spd.& 1 elec. fuel pump $ various front end parts.
My 07 3500 C&C 4x4 /w 6.7L (305/610)-stock has 60000Kms so far with no trouble.

All three trucks had several different drivers & loads varying from just a lunch pail to tractors on crappy oilfield roads.

R
Feb 22, 2008
Spokane
Have a 03 5.9, stock except for an Edge Juice chip and FAS fuel system. 200,000 miles and no problems........everything original and the majority of what this truck does is haul and tow. The running gear is starting to need some maintence but other then that..........she's good.

Heater15

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Brandon MB
diesel

I-6 is the only way any disel engine should ever be built! Take a look at 95% HD diesel, like CAT, JD, Komatsu. Thers a reason they all buile the I-6 engines.

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa

Answers like these begin to shed some light on why no one runs Dr.Performance modules on anything. Your above highlighted answers to the OP's questions truely shows your lack of knowledge and I would highly doubt you are in anyway affiliated with Dr.Performance

Cowboy Steve

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa
thanks for the replies guys. think ill go ahead and get one in the next few months. love the powerstroke but want a little more. also tired of the auto tranny. my first truck was a manual and i miss that really bad

FWIW, Dodge's are plagued wioth worse tranny problems then Ford has ever seen.

Two things, one: Why not put a little money into the 7.3 and have a some relibale hp at a fraction of the cost of a new truck?

two: If your dead set on the Cummins motor, have you thought about Destroking your truck and putting a CR 5.9 in the framerails of your Ford? It is also another cheap solution rather then buying a new truck.

Cowboy Steve

Heater15

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Brandon MB
diesel

Ford have never had a good turbo or injectors. Also last i heard the injectors were still around 6 bills each. Powerstrokes are useless, imo!

Premium Features