• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anybody tow with a hemi?

catzr

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Selah
I am thinking of going from a powerstroke to a hemi.
I have a 27 ft 5th wheel for summer use, and a 2 place open trl.
winter time. Wondering about fuel milage, how will the hemi handle the 5th wheel? I am looking at a used 06 2500 crew cab, short box.
I had an 02 F350 ps. with a programer, crew cab, shortbox.
any advise?
thanks

matofsrud

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
im kinda wondering the same thing i just bought a 06 hemi mega cab and i havent pulled anything yet but driving the interstate at 70 with little wind i got around 14.6 for mileage.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
I've got a 28 foot camper that I pull with my 07 2500 quad cab with 3.73 and 6 speed. It handles really good IMO, but don't expect to break any land speed titles. Depending on hills, I'm down to 4th gear and pushing 3500 rpm. Hemis make their most torque at 4800 rpm and hp at 5400rpm. Its a screamer. As for MPG, 10 at 100 km/hr. I can go about 500 km on a tank, depending on driving, road, wind. Winter, I have a deck with 2 sleds. Last year, I was pulling a 2 place open trailer with 2 sleds, deck with 2 sleds and all the gear and was getting about 12.5 to 13mpg imp. Hope this helps.

I

INKEDRIDER

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 24, 2009
If your pulling more than two sleds i wouldn't recommend it, mine seem'es to be very weak at elevation not very happy with towing but i like the truck 07 big horn hemi

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I have towed my 4 place enclosed and it get less than 10 mpg. Luckily I use my truck to tote my sled over to my buddies house most of the time. He drives and has a duramax, doesn't get any better than that.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Don't have a lot of experience but drove my cousins hemi most of a trip going to Cooke City 04 quadcab 1500 hemi. We were pulling my 25ft 7ft inline enclosed with 3 sleds and gear. Averaging around 80mph we got 8mpg about the same as any other half ton i've used on that trip with a similar load. A lot better on torque then the chevy 5.3L and a bit better then my old 5.4L IMO. Only two complaints were. The first was shift pressure the pass going in was icy with snow going so we were going slow. Shifting up between 1 and 2nd or even 3rd it would kick the side of the pickup out because of the hard shift. Ended up sticking it in first the last 20 miles and just leaving it there. The other complaint was he used 5qts of oil on the trip from Jamestown, ND to Cooke City and back. He said it was never more then a hair low when he would change oil otherwise. It won't be any comparison to your 7.3L though.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I bought a couple in 05' before they come out the the MDS, or whatever it is called. I got rid of the first one in six months, then the second the next chance I got. Great trucks to drive around town in. On the freeway I averaged 14mpg. Towing a 16' Utility trailer around I got 8. I pulled my then camp trailer that weighed 5000lbs from the Vegas nascar race to N. Utah during a storm and got 5mpg.
If towing anything more than a two place open, be for warned they have no torque unless they are spinning a ton of rpm.
Personally I would stay far away. I learned my lesson the hard way.

W
Jan 30, 2008
WYO
i'd stick with the stroker. i have an '04 hemi 2500 and it does alright pulling our 24' enclosed but if the winds blowing (and it usually is around here) it just gets old with the downshifting all the time and losing speed on every little hill.

C
Oct 28, 2008
Pleasant Grove, UT
I have an 04 hemi sport automatic. if your planning on towing with anything heavier than a 2 place dont buy one. I have an open 4-place. most of the time i pull 2 sleds on it. if your going up a steep hill just plan on it shifting excessively from 1st and 2nd. i couldnt imagine pulling a enclosed with one unless you get a standard tranny. not happy with "HEMI" power. stick with a diesel.

MTMAXMaN

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
Wisconsin
Hemi

My family has had many trucks ford,chevy,dodge over time that get used for work and play. I currently have 06 cummins diesel, two brothers that have hemi's, one has 04 other has 08. Running empty they are in the 15-18/19. Towing 7x25 inline with gear and sleds they are around 10-14 depending on speed which usually around 75 on the interstate. They are a high rpm horsepower engine which can be good and bad.They don't have that low rpm lugging power like a diesel. But as far as acceleration or towing up hills let them downshift and they really come alive. Just make sure to use the tow/haul transmission mode when pulling, seems to help shifting issues. But overall the hemi truck is much cheaper than buying a diesel and getting similar performance numbers. If you are going to be pulling on a reqular basis, stick with a diesel.GOODLUCK

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've towed with a Hemi 1/2 ton and I currently own an 02 Powerstroke.

When towing a 2 place with one sled in the back of the Hemi from Winnipeg, MB to Island Park, Idaho, we got 9mpg. The same trip with my Powerstroke got 11. This is at 80mph. I slowed to 65mph with the powerstroke and got 15-16.

The Hemi loves to scream and downshift on every hill. The powerstroke just chugs along, uses less fuel and works a lot less to maintain cruising speed.

I'd keep the powerstroke. Specially if you're going to tow a 5er. I couldn't ever imagine going back to gas an hauling the same loads. I've since upgraded to an enclosed trailer for the sleds and racecar, there's no way I'd ever pull it with a Hemi.

catzr

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Selah
hemi towing

thanks for the input, all sounds pretty accurate.
I bought the hemi.
I just couldnt talk myself into the extra money for the diesel this time.
Your right, loved the ps., had no choice, she burned to the ground,
looks like a cruise control fire. no recall.... yet

Last edited:
Premium Features