• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 to 3 Feet of Snow Monday / Tuesday

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Update: Another storm 03/29 - 2 to 3 Feet of Snow Monday / Tuesday

Here we go again
This message is for 03/29-30.

NEXT SPRING STORM TO IMPACT AREA SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY...

ANOTHER STRONG SPRING STORM SYSTEM WILL CROSS THE NORTHERN ROCKIES
ON SUNDAY AND ENTER THE PLAINS SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY. THIS
STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS AND
STRONG WINDS TO MUCH OF THE AREA.

PRECIPITATION SHOULD BEGIN TO MOVE INTO NORTHEASTERN WYOMING SUNDAY
AFTERNOON...THEN SPREAD ACROSS WESTERN SOUTH DAKOTA SUNDAY NIGHT.
ALTHOUGH THE PRECIPITATION MAY BEGIN AS RAIN EARLY...IT SHOULD
CHANGE OVER TO SNOW RATHER QUICKLY GIVEN THE AMOUNT OF COLD AIR
EXPECTED TO BE IN PLACE ACROSS THE REGION. AS THE SYSTEM STRENGTHENS
MONDAY IN THE PLAINS...STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO
DEVELOP AND MAY LEAD TO BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW. THE STORM
SYSTEM SHOULD BEGIN TO PULL EAST OF THE AREA MONDAY NIGHT.

THERE REMAINS SOME UNCERTAINTY WITH THE STRENGTH...TIMING...AND
EXACT TRACK OF THIS STORM SYSTEM...PERSONS SHOULD MONITOR NOAA
WEATHER RADIO...THE INTERNET...OR LOCAL MEDIA THIS WEEKEND FOR THE
LATEST UPDATES.

Last edited:

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Anyone from the Eastern part of the state wanna go??? I'm in Miller and have a 4 place enclosed, could leave any time after Monday but Monday/Tuesday don't look like good travel days.

O
Feb 23, 2008
Hugo MN
im from MN and me and two buddies want to come out there on wednesday to do some riding if the snow does come. can anyone point me where to go? never been to the black hils before. we were thinking lead? good or bad?
thanks for any info

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
Sounds like you'll be able to ride out of either Lead or Deadwood. There are a couple lodges in the Hills that would put you in the middle of it, but with 30-40" coming, parking or even getting in there might be a concern that soon after the storm. Recreational Springs and Whitetail Court are 2 that are right on the trail system, Golden Hills Resort in Lead is right across the street from the trail and is a nice place.

As far as where to go.... Get on a trail and go anywhere, sounds like most of it is going to hit the Central/Northern Hills, you'll find a lot of good off-trail riding right around Rec Springs also.

O
Feb 23, 2008
Hugo MN
thanks for the info! i will look up rec springs. we are looking to do one last ride for the season and with what they are saying for snow it looks like it could be a good one. whats the elevation there?

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
Today - 16-22" with 24-31mph winds.
Tonight - 13-19" with 31-34mph winds.
Tomorrow - 3-5" with 22-30mph winds.

Chance of snow everyday through Sunday with temps in the high 20's to 40.

Blizzard warning from Pierre west through Tuesday night.

O
Feb 23, 2008
Hugo MN
I might be able to post some pics when it blows through here in Rapid. It will be really hard to tell how much we actually get with the strong winds though. If I don't youre welcome to pm me as well.

ok sounds good to me. i just dont want to drive all the way out there if not that much snow fell. i have about 30 gallons of race gas left that i would would to burn up if i got the chance!

N
Jan 6, 2008
sno

hey fellas i live in between lead and rec springs.. as of right now 10am we have 5 inches or so... i will post pics and updateds every few hours if you guys want....let me know

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
will they resume grooming if they get this much snow?

Hello:

No. Grooming is over for the year. The trails will be closed and signs removed after the 31st. Roads are closed all over out here and sometimes they do not get opened up too fast. The interstate is closed all the way across WY. That is now nasty it is out here. They are predicting 60+ MPH winds. I would guess that travel to O'Niell Pass area will be a little tentative until Thurs or Fri. Please make sure you can get here safely before you head out.

M
Feb 6, 2008
Rapid City, SD
anyone have a snow update for what has happened today?

BLIZZARD!

Lots of snow with even more wind... meaning we can't see out our windows to really give an accurate update & probably won't be able to until Wednesday. All roads are closed from Murdo, SD to Gillette, Wy. Should be interesting travel. Also, I believe Trailshead & Rec Springs are closed for the season. I will be heading up either Wednesday or Thursday depending on the roads.

Premium Features