• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 dodge 6.7 with the 68rfe the good the bad

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
iam looking at buying a 08 6.7 slt mega cab,price is right:)been reading all the forums some bad, some good reports lets here what all the sw peps think of them.if i buy it i will get all the deletes right away.i have a 03 59 so right now.:beer;:beer;

B
Nov 26, 2007
Hawaii for now :(
From what I've been reading on cumminsforum.com, they are much more powerful than the 5.9. Once you do deletes, they get as good as milage as the 5.9 or better.

Just do it and let us know how you like it.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
Like BigRok said, do the deletes (maybe a slight up-tune, say 50-75hp) and enjoy.

The MagaCab is great for traveling with friends. My wife and I travel with three other people in reasonable comfort, and split the fuel bill.

dirtball08

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
strathmore, ab
I own the 07 megacab 3500 4x4 with the 6 spd. I prefer this truck over a standard trans, and I hate auto trans. Still stock and getting 25 miles to the gallon. Waiting for break-in to be over with before I do the deletes. Great truck except for the fuel economy and paint job. :beer;:beer;:beer;

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Still stock and getting 25 miles to the gallon.

Don't want to start an argument here, but, if you are actually getting 25 mpg, you're a very, very lucky individual. I also have an '07 3500 (Q/C Laramie, SRW, longbox) and it has deletes done - 5" turbo-back, S & B cold air intake and Edge Juice with Attitude. No matter what setting I use on the Edge or how easy I drive the truck it will only hit a best of 20 mpg. I've talked with other 6.7 owners who's figures are the same as mine. As well, one of my friends is a Dodge tech at the local dealership and he hasn't heard of mileage claims that high.

B
Nov 26, 2007
North Vancouver
i have an 06 Mega with the 5.9 and with the 48RE. Totally stock. The best I can get with it is about 23MPG. That is driving to Portland, or 100 Mile house, and keeping the speed down to around 60mph, hard to do going to Portland, easy to do going to 100 Mile...until the wife falls asleep.
I have been looking at getting another Mega, an 09, but the lease rates (12%) are obnoxious...08's have pretty good deals right now, even though I get employee discounts through Freightliner (relative).
Sooooo, how good is good for the deal on an SLT Mega? Care to divulge?

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
I own the 07 megacab 3500 4x4 with the 6 spd. I prefer this truck over a standard trans, and I hate auto trans. Still stock and getting 25 miles to the gallon. Waiting for break-in to be over with before I do the deletes. Great truck except for the fuel economy and paint job. :beer;:beer;:beer;

so you complaining about a 4 wheel drive pickup that empty weighs 7500 lbs has 350 hp....and only gets 25mpg...... omg thats priceless!

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
The 68RFE is sweet, but the emissions crap is not

They are not unbreakable though. I know someone that is on their third converter. However, 4wd boosted launches with the EDGE tend to be hard on things:)

Why give up your 03? Lots of miles?

I have an 03 HO 48RE and really like mine! I really have no motovation to get a newer truck at all.

The only thing thats better is the tranny. If you have an auto you could build the tranny and it will be tougher then the 68 RFE.

I also personally like the 03-05 interior better

Also, with mods you have way more power for less money with better fuel mileage.

If I had to have a newer truck I would get an 06 or 07 5.9 but I don't think it would be worth upgrading over an 03 unless you have a ton of miles or a beat to hell truck

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
i have an 06 Mega with the 5.9 and with the 48RE. Totally stock. The best I can get with it is about 23MPG. That is driving to Portland, or 100 Mile house, and keeping the speed down to around 60mph, hard to do going to Portland, easy to do going to 100 Mile...until the wife falls asleep.
I have been looking at getting another Mega, an 09, but the lease rates (12%) are obnoxious...08's have pretty good deals right now, even though I get employee discounts through Freightliner (relative).
Sooooo, how good is good for the deal on an SLT Mega? Care to divulge?

it has a few km on it so slightly used 36000$

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
The 68RFE is sweet, but the emissions crap is not

They are not unbreakable though. I know someone that is on their third converter. However, 4wd boosted launches with the EDGE tend to be hard on things:)

Why give up your 03? Lots of miles?

I have an 03 HO 48RE and really like mine! I really have no motovation to get a newer truck at all.

The only thing thats better is the tranny. If you have an auto you could build the tranny and it will be tougher then the 68 RFE.

I also personally like the 03-05 interior better

Also, with mods you have way more power for less money with better fuel mileage.

If I had to have a newer truck I would get an 06 or 07 5.9 but I don't think it would be worth upgrading over an 03 unless you have a ton of miles or a beat to hell truck

i like my 03 love the motor but i have had allot of probs with it lift pump, injectors,electrical to name a few.it was used when i bought it & was a oil feild truck:eek:as i found out later never trust what a dealership tells you:mad:it has 170000km now

dirtball08

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
strathmore, ab
Don't want to start an argument here, but, if you are actually getting 25 mpg, you're a very, very lucky individual. I also have an '07 3500 (Q/C Laramie, SRW, longbox) and it has deletes done - 5" turbo-back, S & B cold air intake and Edge Juice with Attitude. No matter what setting I use on the Edge or how easy I drive the truck it will only hit a best of 20 mpg. I've talked with other 6.7 owners who's figures are the same as mine. As well, one of my friends is a Dodge tech at the local dealership and he hasn't heard of mileage claims that high.

The overhead is in US GALLONS. We're not in the US. When you do the conversion to IMP GALLONS, that's what I get.:beer;

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
i like my 03 love the motor but i have had allot of probs with it lift pump, injectors,electrical to name a few.it was used when i bought it & was a oil feild truckas i found out later never trust what a dealership tells youit has 170000km now

Hmmmm

Lift pump is kind of given. Gotta look into the aftermarket lift pump systems for sure. I still need to do that on mine.

Injectors can happen on any truck. Look into the F1 diesel injectors. That is another thing I would like to do.

I guess at 170,000 km, if your ready for a new truck, get an 06 or 07 5.9.

Just my 2 cents

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
GlennRMK, I had an '03 3500 H.O./48RE SRW Laramie Q/C longbox 4X4 that I trade in on my '07 6.7. I definitely miss that truck fuel-mileage wise compared to my '07. The two biggest reasons I went for the '07 were the new tranny and the exhaust brake. As far as the '03 goes, mine was bulletproof. Had a couple u-joints done under warranty and one lift pump. The engine-mounted lift pump was replaced with the in-tank version and I had no more issues. On the interiors, I did like the interior on my '03, but I much prefer the interior on my new truck with the full "business" console. Just a personal preference.

E

evan3000

Dec 8, 2007
Red Deer Ab.
I have an 08 6.7 6 spd auto. has not been back to the dealer since it was new. 40,000km on it now. the fuel millage sucks!! but they all do now!! It's been a good truck and I would probable buy another one.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
I have an 08 6.7 6 spd auto. has not been back to the dealer since it was new. 40,000km on it now. the fuel millage sucks!! but they all do now!! It's been a good truck and I would probable buy another one.

have you done the deletes to the exaust

Premium Features