• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ride report Yamaha Sidewinder

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I just wanted to post a ride report on the new Yamaha sidewinder....figured the general section is the best so everyone can read and also ties into the cats....we had a opportunity to ride one through the power tour they have on right now.... just a little background on what sleds I have rode in the past. First 4stroke I had was a turbo apex...rode it from 05-11 which was amazing sled power wise, but the end of the day I was wiped...then tnytro from 11-13 never did care for this sled. Then went to a pro 800 and currently skidoo t3 174. Ever since Yamaha went to a cat chassis I just haven't been interested, not that there a bad sled but just not a fan. The other reason I stayed away was the pile of cash needed to make them a rideable contender in the mountains, and by mountains I mean boondocking and tree riding. So fast forward to this year and the sidewinder sounds like guys are really enjoying it....hmmmm better find out how this thing works. Snow conditions were pretty good foot or more of fresh overnight, with a decent base.( some sugary spots with no base ). Temp was around -1

IMG_4784_zpsm8qwd23n.jpg

IMG_4788_zpszcrvfmui.jpg

IMG_4786_zpssebz7mxy.jpg

IMG_4825_zpsgr7zyk0t.jpg

Initial impression on the trail, the power was very smooth and responsive. I couldn't even tell it had a turbo because there was zero lag, but the true story with that will be when riding off the trail. The other thing I noticed right away is how easy it steers on the trail..no ski pressure like its predecessors. Also since it has no stabilizer bar I figured it would be hard to handle on the corners in the trail, but it handled them well.
When we got off the trail I figured it's probably going to take some time to get use to the handling and the weight again, but it didn't. Jamie our demo rep even said take it slow till you get use to it ....lol .....It felt very comfortable right away(besides the handlebars being to low for me)and very responsive to rider input....,honesty the way it handled I couldn't tell it was heavier than my t3. They did such a great job centralizing the weight of the motor.

IMG_4793_zpsevnu6s91.jpg

IMG_4817_zpsgxubcmmk.jpg

IMG_4816_zpsrs2vzwzt.jpg

IMG_4802_zps5fzix6ft.jpeg

Needless to say I was very impressed with the sidewinder....I believe it performed just as well as my t3 and even better in some instances due to the power. The power was very smooth and usable....didn't ever feel I was screaming out of control. Throttle response was there all the time .....Side hilling was very easy...took a bit more to get on edge than my t3 but once your there it holds a line and doesn't wash out from what I could find. Even one spot I dropped into is a very steep side hill with nowhere to turn around at the bottom due to a wall of trees. It is a very technical line and this thing handled it with ease ....it's a good pull on my t3 and the sidewinder had power to spare. There is no way I would of tried this with my apex because getting it point back up the hill would a been near impossible.

The other thing I wanted to tested out was rolling it over when I was stuck ....weight wise and oil running out like the previous models. lol I found a few spots for that, with a bit of shovelling we rolled it over and had zero issues with the oil running out. Actually rolled over pretty easy.

IMG_4811_zpsykmelob7.jpg

IMG_4809_zpszb3nk8fb.png

IMG_4810_zpswtg10imw.jpg

IMG_4815_zpsrnigfdrs.jpg

Anyway I believe this is a true contender for mountain riding and will be riding one of these in the near future....thanks to Randy and Jamie for setting this up and Ghostriders in Fernie BC. Great day and met some new friends.

Changes I would make is higher bars, clean the controls up to be less congested, 174 3", tether, cold air intake, lightweight down pipe and boards.

http://vid61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_4795_zps6fcea6cr.mp4
http://vid61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/Turblue/IMG_4798_zps8pw5ugn3.mp4

https://www.snowest.com/2016/03/yamaha-2017-sidewinder-mtx-turbo
http://snowgoer.com/latest-news/qa-yamaha-engineer-explains-technology-of-new-998-turbo/23834/
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wxy-j4rZdMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A0bEiYLloho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Update 2018's here

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sesazKqIp2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2017 mtx
IMG_4852_zpswa56kicj.jpg

2018 mtx

IMG_4848_zps8aw9foyr.jpg

IMG_4846_zps87x2zpmp.jpg

IMG_4849_zpsdoednnet.jpg

IMG_4847_zpsgqt8rayu.jpg

Attack Angle comparison from 2017 to 2018

2017_Sidewinder_MTX_162_SE_white_blue_1_zpsnbmielse.png

2018_Sidewinder_MTX_SE_162_grey_1_zpskwtliedx.png

Last edited:

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
The other thing I would like to add is when I was stuck it seemed to really pop out of the hole with a small ski pull. The attack angle on the track was low compared to the apex or nytro. Typically with those it required a lot of effort to get them moving due to the ski pressure....I really wasn't expecting it to be a good as it was....looking forward to riding one next year.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
But they're so heavy.

Yes they weigh more than the comparable 2 stroke mountain sled, but when does the weight come into play? Like I said it handles so well that the extra weight isn't noticed while riding. The only time I really noticed it was when I was stuck, but a little more shovelling and I flipped it over by myself one of the times. The one guy in our group weighs around 165lbs and took it for a rip(rides a 14 cat) .....he even said it felt really good and can't tell it's a 4stroke besides the power.

When I signed up for the demo ride I had it in my head "but there heavy" also .... I was expecting it to be cumbersome, fighting it all day, and so tired I would be ready to take it back by noon. It was the total opposite.....I was amazed how maneuverable it was, and when we got back to the truck I never felt exhausted. I truly pushed it to its limits or my limits lol to make sure it's something I would want to ride again. It's my hard earned cash and not about to spend it on something I'd regret..... I guess before you stereotype it to its predecessors take one for a ride.......:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I think Yamaha would have improved sales if they would have invested in demo rides last spring. People want to get a feel for what they're about to spend almost 17k on. Great report. I think people really need to feel it for themselves. Thanks

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
It may handle better than other 4 strokes, but lets be honest you can feel the weight in every thing. The amount of effort it takes to do anything is greater, if it wasn't everyone would be buying one. You won't see many people buying one and there is a reason for it. How many people do you read on here preach the greatness of the 4 stroke until a couple of years later when they are buying a 2 stroke, everyone of them says the same thing, the power was great but the thing just beat me to death.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I think Yamaha would have improved sales if they would have invested in demo rides last spring. People want to get a feel for what they're about to spend almost 17k on. Great report. I think people really need to feel it for themselves. Thanks

I agree that if I didn't get to ride one I would of assumed it's the same as the rest .....I guess any of the other manufacturers you typically don't get to ride before you buy either. Good on Yamaha to make an attempt to give people a chance this winter to try them. I was thinking of buying a G4 175 skidoo next year, but wanted to wait to make sure they had all the bugs worked out first. I'm glad now to be going back to Yamaha, the reliability of the 4 stroke and power.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
It may handle better than other 4 strokes, but lets be honest you can feel the weight in every thing. The amount of effort it takes to do anything is greater, if it wasn't everyone would be buying one. You won't see many people buying one and there is a reason for it. How many people do you read on here preach the greatness of the 4 stroke until a couple of years later when they are buying a 2 stroke, everyone of them says the same thing, the power was great but the thing just beat me to death.

For sure they are different, but they handle so much better than anything they had before. Everyone has there likes and dislikes about any of the sleds that are on the market today. I just really missed the 4stroke power and reliability...and now for me it's worth going back for the style of riding I like to do. I am just trying to give a honest opinion on how the sled felt. I never said anywhere that is lighter or feels lighter than a 2 stroke. Also if you search any of my posts I rarely give feedback unless I truly feel it's worth it. I don't want this to turn into a negative report, just letting people know to try one for themselves and see.

Last edited:

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
Yes they weigh more than the comparable 2 stroke mountain sled, but when does the weight come into play? Like I said it handles so well that the extra weight isn't noticed while riding. The only time I really noticed it was when I was stuck, but a little more shovelling and I flipped it over by myself one of the times. The one guy in our group weighs around 165lbs and took it for a rip(rides a 14 cat) .....he even said it felt really good and can't tell it's a 4stroke besides the power.

When I signed up for the demo ride I had it in my head "but there heavy" also .... I was expecting it to be cumbersome, fighting it all day, and so tired I would be ready to take it back by noon. It was the total opposite.....I was amazed how maneuverable it was, and when we got back to the truck I never felt exhausted. I truly pushed it to its limits or my limits lol to make sure it's something I would want to ride again. It's my hard earned cash and not about to spend it on something I'd regret..... I guess before you stereotype it to its predecessors take one for a ride.......:face-icon-small-hap

Sorry that the sarcasm wasn't so obvious, but it was a joke. I suspect that there are people who will, in all sincerity, reply to this thread with a similar response. And it will have everything to do with brand loyalty and/or a preconceived hatred of four stroke engines and nothing to do with having actually ridden one.

I'm still riding an RX1, and I hear that kind of thing all the time. I gotta take my skirt off to ride it and all, but it is a very capable sled if you don't wear a dress.

I have people who have never ridden one tell me about my sled and what I can and can't do. We had about four feet of powder dump here a few weeks ago and some of the guys that I was riding with were amazed that I never got stuck. The 162 track, 150 HP and tons of torque will usually keep that beast on top of the snow. And I will say that in it's factory state (with a 151" track with a 2" paddle) did trench a lot. But I got tired of that and went longer and engineered that problem away.

I love the R1 engine, but if I had the means, I certainly would own a Sidewinder. I hope the produce a four cylinder engine with that same or better technology. That would be a monster.

I'm not terribly happy that the Sidewinder (or Viper for that matter) is based on the ProClimb chassis. Not that I dislike the chassis or have anything bad to say about it, but there is already a sled out there with a ProClimb chassis and it is an Arctic Cat. It would have been nice if they had designed a chassis specific to Yamaha even if Arctic Cat manufactured it. But I guess it is more cost effective to use something that already exists than to design and engineer your own. I suspect that that decision was economic.

I don't know if we will ever see it (or who knows, it could be in the 2018 release?), but I would love to see Yamaha introduce a new chassis with the Sidewinder power plant. They certainly have the resources to make the best, most capable sled ever made, but I suspect economics and profitability are the key factors there.

Oh, and by the way, very good review. Thank you.

Last edited:

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Lol. The thing beats me to death.
From the reviews so far, it doesn't sound like anyone's getting beat up. I'd rather be a little tired from having fun and to have reliability of a 4 stroke than being tired of my 2 stroke always being in the shop.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Lol. The thing beats me to death.
From the reviews so far, it doesn't sound like anyone's getting beat up. I'd rather be a little tired from having fun and to have reliability of a 4 stroke than being tired of my 2 stroke always being in the shop.

We'll that's just because you ride Polaris sleds... LOL

So this SW handles as good as Skidoo's last chassis. Good job Yamaha!

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
I thought I would chime in here with my couple cents, I am the cat Rider Shawn (turblue) had mentioned in his post (orange jacket guy in the photo's) I will be completely honest with everyone here, I could have rode a sidewinder all day last weekend but chose not to in the parking lot. I opted to take my cat instead (preconceived notions), once we were up in our zone I parked the cat and hopped on the sidewinder, my first thought "man I totally could have rode one of these sleds all day" They really do hide their extra weight well. with coming off a cat I found I could hop back and forth between my sled and the sidewinder without issue. I went for a ride at one point and burned around an area that had some gullies, side hills open area for powder turns and when I got back to the group someone made the comment on how I looked like a natural and I didn't miss a beat on the sidewinder, and that really how it felt too. In my opinion Yamaha really has built a 4 stoke mountain sled that is a contender (not even comparable to a Nytro, Apex, OR VIPER). I kind of laugh at everyone that says man these sled look good but its a cat chassis bla bla bla.... my only comment is, if you get a chance ride one..., you will be surprised.

Thanks to Jamie and Randy for this, all the manufactures should take note, Days like this sell sleds!!

TDH

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c

Soooooo how many miles you got on a sidewinder,no need to answer we know already.
You should always try something befor you call it junk,i dont care if you like it after that but you just sound like a fool trashing something you have not tried.
If you want to be honest that's what you should do,if you want to just trash just because you don't like yammi well .:face-icon-small-sho:rolleyes:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I think 17:44 to 18:17 sums it up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKpOE0gK_ic

Not trashing the Yami, just stating the truth. Yes I've never rode the sidewinder but spent a season on a modded Apex and spent time on the Nytro and Rx 1 ton. If you want to ride a Yami more power to you but a 4 stroke just can't compare to a 2 stroke. How about we let sales figure out who is right...

Last edited:

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I think 17:44 to 18:17 sums it up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKpOE0gK_ic

Not trashing the Yami, just stating the truth. Yes I've never rode the sidewinder but spent a season on a modded Apex and spent time on the Nytro and Rx 1 ton. If you want to ride a Yami more power to you but a 4 stroke just can't compare to a 2 stroke. How about we let sales figure out who is right...

I've noticed your very concerned on other "Yamaha" posts if someone is saying something positive you feel the need to speak up. Not sure why I'm guessing you secretly want one but haven't admitted to it yet? 4100 views since Tuesday when I posted it. Someone must be interested in the sled.

I think with today's technology nothing is a bad choice ....it sure has changed compared to back in the day when I was hugging the carburetor cover on a snojet sst riding double. Lol I think people get to caught up in the wants year to year. Ride and have fun.

Last edited:

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
"Yes I've never rode a sw" but I rode an apex and nytro and rx1 so I know what I'm talking about. Really? If you don't like yammies, why are you even posting in this thread?

J

Jviper

Sep 20, 2015
Edmonton AB
I thought I would chime in here with my couple cents, I am the cat Rider Shawn (turblue) had mentioned in his post (orange jacket guy in the photo's) I will be completely honest with everyone here, I could have rode a sidewinder all day last weekend but chose not to in the parking lot. I opted to take my cat instead (preconceived notions), once we were up in our zone I parked the cat and hopped on the sidewinder, my first thought "man I totally could have rode one of these sleds all day" They really do hide their extra weight well. with coming off a cat I found I could hop back and forth between my sled and the sidewinder without issue. I went for a ride at one point and burned around an area that had some gullies, side hills open area for powder turns and when I got back to the group someone made the comment on how I looked like a natural and I didn't miss a beat on the sidewinder, and that really how it felt too. In my opinion Yamaha really has built a 4 stoke mountain sled that is a contender (not even comparable to a Nytro, Apex, OR VIPER). I kind of laugh at everyone that says man these sled look good but its a cat chassis bla bla bla.... my only comment is, if you get a chance ride one..., you will be surprised.

Thanks to Jamie and Randy for this, all the manufactures should take note, Days like this sell sleds!!

TDH

a 2016 viper mtx and the sidewinder are basically the same chassis....with the rebates on the vipers you can slap a big boost turbo on one and still save cash....

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
a 2016 viper mtx and the sidewinder are basically the same chassis....with the rebates on the vipers you can slap a big boost turbo on one and still save cash....

I believe they moved the new motor further back in the chassis to balance the weight more...feels and handles way more nimble than a viper from what I understand.(never rode a viper myself)

Last edited:

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
Nice vid of some tree riding in deep pow.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c4cTdAzlupg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Premium Features