• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To go or not?? That is the question ..

E
Dec 1, 2007
Flatlands of Iowa
Looking for input on what happens out there in the Hills with the warm shot the weatherman says is gonna pass thru?? . .we are planning on coming out next weds. thru sunday but looking at the forecast it says 30's and 40's thru sunday with possible rainy/sleety crap. .on into next week it seems fine for tempurature but will this kill the snow???? .. . .what's your guy's opinion .. .are the riding areas a little higher in elevation to escape some of this?? . . and if anyone is free to ride on those days we'd love to have some company as well. . .lookin' for meadow and boondockin' mainly..it'd be great to have someone from the area to help find the better stuff .. . .anybody wants to give me a call my cell is 402.850.3113 . ..thanks . .

Johnny

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Looking for input on what happens out there in the Hills with the warm shot the weatherman says is gonna pass thru?? . .we are planning on coming out next weds. thru sunday but looking at the forecast it says 30's and 40's thru sunday with possible rainy/sleety crap. .on into next week it seems fine for tempurature but will this kill the snow???? .. . .what's your guy's opinion .. .are the riding areas a little higher in elevation to escape some of this?? . . and if anyone is free to ride on those days we'd love to have some company as well. . .lookin' for meadow and boondockin' mainly..it'd be great to have someone from the area to help find the better stuff .. . .anybody wants to give me a call my cell is 402.850.3113 . ..thanks . .

Johnny

Currently the Northern Black Hills is under a winter weather advisory for tonight and tomorrow 4 to 8 inches and they did remove the wintry mix forecast. I think it will be pretty good. I would read the state's trail conditions. They are very honest about trail conditions which one could then make some assumptions about off trail. With the weekend traffic over the holidays, pretty tracked up. Still good snow just have to look harder for the good stuff. How is that for an ambiguous answer that doesn't answer the question.

skibumsd

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
The conditions will definetly hgold up. I was up last weekend and found trees with waist deep snow I am 6'1'', no joke. All the trails where covered with snow didnt see dirt all day. Jayme

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Elevation and tree cover does help keep snow when it does get warm there. Normally when I ride there it usually get into the upper 40s each day. Its not like when you get a good snow at home and one day in the 40's and your back to square one. If you want a better guarentee I would go to the snowys or CO.

M
Feb 6, 2008
Rapid City, SD
you should come

The snow is the best it's been in years. We are getting some more as I type. I beleive around 7 more inches today is expected. Warm up a little tomorrow and then more snow around the weekend. We went out last weekend and found pockets where we were pushing powder up over the hoods! Many areas had 4-6 feet of snow. Overall... very good conditions out here and it looks like it will get even better this week. Keep praying for more snow! If you want DEEP powder than you need to keep driving west to Togwotee or nortwest to Cooke City. They both just got pounded!

My .02.

P

prairiebound

Dec 3, 2007
Snow is great. Went out today. Best it has been in years for this time of year. The warm temp. have not taken that much snow. easy to find 4 to 5 ft. snow in the trees and gulleys. Meadow have 2 to 3 ft. Great base from that early snow. Found 1 stump and 1 rock today. No damage. Was snowing when we left this afternoon and supposed to snow off and on for the next few days. Not much traffic. Trails didn't get beat up late in the day on the way back. head out Grand Canyon way for some good riding.

D
Dec 9, 2007
hudson, south dakota
Sounds great up there. Looked at the web cam and it was snowing pretty heavy. How much are they suppossed to get and how is the week looking? $ of us are coming out the 27 of January and hoping it just keeps snowing. Thanks for the info everyone and pics are always nice to see also

D
Dec 9, 2007
hudson, south dakota
How much snow did the hills get from this storm. Heard they were suppossed to get up to a foot to cover all the hard concrete from the warm weather? Coming out thursday so hope they got some fresh to play in

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Went out today, snow is hard is a rock with about 2-3 inches of "feathers" on top. The meadows and canyons that were packed smooth aren't too bad but wherever there are trenches it is rough, did find some small canyons that were protected from the sun that still have soft, deep powder. I probably will not go up again until we get significant snow.

Premium Features