• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

??? on 08 Phazer jackshaft

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
So I am tearing down the sled to install a 153 track, a two wheel kit and antirachet drivers. What I found was a broke bolt on the drive axle inside the chain case...easy enough fix, it didn't tear up anything else as the bolt head was resting inside the chain adjuster. Now my concern is I can move the jack shaft from inside the chaincase about 1/8 of a turn with out moving the shaft on the clutch side???This dont seem right unless there is a coupler on the shaft where I cant see , and I have never seen one or heard of something like this. This is my first Yamaha any help would be great. Dino

L
Jan 2, 2008
Cranbrook BC
not to sure what your asking? but i know u should have some play in that area. only thing is that i have never heard of anyone else breaking a bolt off like that. lucky it didnt catch the chain. wonder if the 2 have anything to do with eachother.

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
It's pretty common for the lower bolt to break, we put a shim under the big washer that fits inside the gear but not too thick to allow for excessive side play. I make it so that it's almost perfect, a couple thou tight.

The jack shaft is supposed to have play, it rocks back and forth between the shift dogs.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
It's pretty common for the lower bolt to break, we put a shim under the big washer that fits inside the gear but not too thick to allow for excessive side play. I make it so that it's almost perfect, a couple thou tight.

The jack shaft is supposed to have play, it rocks back and forth between the shift dogs.
Ok What is the shift dogs??? I haven't had time to investigate further, on my doos if you turn the jack shaft at the clutch the shaft turns the same at the chaincase...this has about 1/8th of a turn between the two ends of the shaft??? THANKS Dino

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
Under the gas tank is the shift mechanism, or transmission,and the shifter works much like a transmission in a bike , a shift fork slides back and forth on a shaft they lock together on dogs or like a dog box transmission. So it's normal to have a bit of play in the shaft.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Under the gas tank is the shift mechanism, or transmission,and the shifter works much like a transmission in a bike , a shift fork slides back and forth on a shaft they lock together on dogs or like a dog box transmission. So it's normal to have a bit of play in the shaft.
Thanks Linc, this makes sense to me now. This being my first Yamaha sense my 86 Phazer. I am not quite up to speed yet with this sled. The sled is a blast to ride...hopeing to get a bit more float and better traction with the 153 track install. Dino

Premium Features