To help Harris Publishing commemorate 40 years of publishing SnoWest Magazine, several vintage snowmobile racers gathered in West Yellowstone last weekend to square off against each other in two different classes.
The first class was for sleds made prior to or in model year 1974—the year SnoWest Magazine was first published. The second class was for sled built between 1975 and 1985.
Tony Cook, from Richfield, UT, won the Stock 1974 and older class aboard his 1972 Polaris, followed by Tony Crnkovich, from Afton, WY, on his 1974 Yamaha GPX. Crnkovich led early in the 8-lap final before Cook took the lead for the win. Logan Sweeten, Lehi, UT, took third on his 1974 Rupp Nitro II 440.
In the 1975-1985 class, Larry Grooms, Sr., from Manhattan, MT, took the win on his 1976 Merc Trail Twister, followed by Cook on his 1979 Polaris TX 440. Dustin Sweeten, from Lindon, UT, took third on a borrowed sled. The sled Sweeten qualified on broke so Tony Cook offered him one of his for the final, which Sweeten used to follow Cook across the finish line.
SnoWest 40th Anniversary Vintage Oval Finals
Stock 1974 and Older
1. Tony Cook Richfield, UT 1972 Polaris
2. Tony Crnkovich Afton, WY 1974 Yamaha GPX
3. Logan Sweeten Lehi, UT 1974 Rupp Nitro II 440
4. Dustin Sweeten Lindon, UT 1974 Rupp Nitro II 440
1, Larry Grooms, Sr. Manhattan, MT 1976 Merc Trail Twister
2. Tony Cook Afton, WY 1979 Polaris 440
3. Dustin Sweeten Lindon, UT Yamaha Exciter
4. David Erickson Pleasant View, UT 1980 Yamaha Exciter
5. Darrel Eve Gallatin Gateway, MT 1975 Arctic Cat
A special thanks goes out to Mountain West Racing and Dustin Sweeten of PowerHouse Motorsports for handling all the racing details.