As you may already know, the USDA Forest Service released its proposed planning rule on Feb. 14, 2011. This letter is to inform you of ways to learn more about the proposed rule and methods for submitting comments regarding the proposed rule. The proposed rule, associated documents and additional information about the rule development process can be found at the Forest Service Planning Rule website at http://fs.usda.gov/planningrule.
To encourage public engagement, the Forest Service is hosting a national open forum as well as other public forums throughout the country during the public comment period. All of these forums will have three basic purposes:
· To increase public understanding about the draft rule;
· To explain how input gathered from the public during the scoping process is incorporated into the design of the rule; and
· To respond to questions about the proposed planning rule.
This format is based on input we heard from a diversity of stakeholders on how best to design these meetings.
While the forums should assist attendees in better understanding the proposed rule and making more informed comments, we will not be taking public comments on the proposed rule at the forums, nor will the agency be recording the forums for inclusion in the rulemaking record. As with any rulemaking, attendees wishing to provide comments for the record will need to submit them in writing, as described below.
The National Forum was be held in Washington, D.C. on March 10 and was webcast live and also posted on web for later viewing. The presentations and Q&A are available at http://www.fs.usda.gov/goto/planningrule/forums.
The Intermountain Region of the Forest Service will host forums in each of its National Forests on either March 24 or March 29, 2011. There will be two sessions at each location, one from 2-5 p.m. and one from 6:30-9:00 pm Mountain Time. To increase opportunities for those interested to attend the public forums across the wide area, the Intermountain Region will use video teleconferencing technology to link multiple Forest locations for each session.
The following Forests will link to the video teleconference forum on MARCH 24:
Boise National Forest - local contact: David Olson (208) 373-4105
- Forest Supervisor's Office - 1249 S. Vinnell Way, Suite 200, Boise, ID
Bridger-Teton National Forest - local contact: Michael Schrotz (307) 739-5560
- Forest Supervisor's Office, 340 North Cache, Jackson, WY
- Big Piney Ranger District, 10418 S. US Highway 189, Big Piney, WY
- Greys River Ranger District, 671 N. Washington St, Afton, WY
- Kemmerer Ranger District, 308 US Highway 189, Kemmerer, WY
- Pinedale Ranger District, 29 East Fremont Lake Rd, Pinedale, WY
Dixie National Forest - local contact: Gretchen Merrill (435) 865-3741
- Forest Supervisor's Office, 1789 N Wedgewood Ln, Cedar City, UT
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest - local contact: Reese Pope (801) 342-5104
- Forest Supervisor's Office, Salt Lake City Office, 125 South State St., Salt Lake City, UT
- Evanston-Mountain View Ranger District, Evanston Office, 1565 Highway 150, Suite A, Evanston, WY
The following Forests will link to the video teleconference forums on MARCH 29:
Ashley National Forest - local contact: Kathy Paulin (435) 781-5160.
- Forest Supervisor's Office, 355 North Vernal Av, Vernal, UT.
- Duchesne Ranger District - 85 West Main, Duchesne, UT
- Flaming Gorge Ranger District - 25 West Highway 43, Manila, UT
Caribou-Targhee National Forest - local contact: Robert Mickelsen (208) 557-5764
- Forest Supervisor's Office, 1405 Hollipark Dr, Idaho Falls, ID
Fishlake National Forest - local contact: Mel Bolling (435) 896-1075
- Forest Supervisor's Office, 115 East 900 North, Richfield, UT
Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest - local contact: Kathleen Lucich (775) 355-5322
(1-4 and 5:30-8 p.m. Pacific Time)
- Forest Supervisor's Office, 1200 Franklin Way, Sparks, NV
- Mountain City Ranger District, 2035 Last Chance Rd, Elko, NV
- Spring Mountains National Recreation Area, 4701 North Torrey Pines Dr, Las Vegas, NV
Manti-LaSal National Forest - local contact: Marlene Depietro (435) 636-3539
- Forest Supervisor's Office, 599 W Price River Dr, Price, UT
- Ferron/Price Ranger District, 115 West Canyon Rd, Ferron, UT
- Monticello Ranger District, 496 US Highway 491, Monticello, UT
- Sanpete Ranger District, 540 North Main, Ephraim, UT
Payette National Forest - local contact: Patricia Anderson Soucek (208) 634-0812
- Forest Supervisor's Office, 800 W Lakeside Av, McCall ID
- Council Ranger District, 2092 Highway 95, Council, ID
Salmon-Challis National Forest - local contact: Karryl Krieger (208) 756-5102
- Forest Supervisor's Office, 1206 S Challis St, Salmon, ID
- Challis-Yankee Fork Ranger District, HC 63, Box 1669, Highway 93, Challis, ID
Sawtooth National Forest - local contact: Sharon LaBrecque (208) 737-3277
- Forest Supervisor's Office, 2647 Kimberly Rd East, Twin Falls, ID
Public Comment On The Proposed Rule
The proposed planning rule was published in the Feb. 14, 2011, Federal Register, kicking off a 90-day public comment period ending on May 16, 2011. To be considered, written comments need to be submitted electronically at http://www.govcomments.com/or http://www.regulations.govor sent in hard copy to Forest Service Planning DEIS, C/O Bear West Company, 132 E 500 S, Bountiful, UT 84010, or sent via facsimile to (801) 397-1605. Please identify your written comments by including "planning rule" on the cover sheet or the first page. Comments are available for public inspection at http://contentanalysisgroup.com/fsr/
If you have any questions about the forums please feel free to contact Justin Henceroth at email@example.com by phone at (970) 513-8340 x 252.