• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yellowstone - Still requiring Best Available Technology sleds?

K
Nov 6, 2013
I've seen several websites mention that Yellowstone Eliminated the over-snow restrictions. Do they still require the "Best Available Technology " snowmobiles? Be nice to ride your own Polaris... :) The NPS website does not seem to reflect any updates.

Didn't spot it here but feel free to let me know if I missed it!

Thanks!
Keith

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I haven't heard of any changes and I highly doubt they'll ever change from the Best Available Technology requirement. It is possible to ride in the park without a guide now though, they introduced a lottery system a few years ago for a permit to go unguided.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The lottery system should help ensure that BAT rental #'s match demand shouldn't it?

I guess I'm not opposed to using the BAT in this environment, but being able to ride your own BAT sled should be permitted.

Again, I don't live in the area but would like to visit sometime and ride.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Still BAT, yes. Essentially, rental 4 strokes at 35mph. If you've never been there in the winter and want to see wildlife, i.e., elk, bison, geese, eagles, coyotes, fox, worth the trip if you have the time and coin to burn. FWIW.

Premium Features