• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WTF?!? Problem in secondary from a stupid little belt change

C

catf1000s/p

Dec 30, 2011
This might makes things a little easier for some guys, The must have is a 2" washer with a 8mm hole, they should be in everyone's tool kit, if not, yell at your dealer or get one.
#1 make sure the sled was ran in forward motion as in not backing it in the garage, if you do back it in the garage or off the trailer, make the sled go forward first before shutting it off, this puts the helix in the right location to remove the belt without snapping off the plastic pieces in the secondary clutch
#2 Take the secondary bolt off, put the 2" washer on the bolt.

#3 thread the bolt into the clutch/driven shaft until it stops with out becoming to tight.

#4 change the belt.

#5 As you are taking the bolt out, keep sliding the belt in the sheaves with your left hand so it climbs up the secondary as your taking the bolt out, you can get the belt to the top of the secondary by doing so if you don't turn the bolt out to fast, you will never have to turn the track at all after to get the belt to where its supposed to be.

#6 torque the secondary bolt to 25 foot pounds.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
I took the flat and lock washer off the bolt and it wouldn't reach the threads on my '13 800 HC. I ended up just using a fender washer and a spacer and it worked, but will need to figure out a permanent solution before the snow flies.

I think since the bolt is just barely long enough when you flip the spacer around, you can only do this on some machines. Based on how many shims are behind your secondary to provide for proper clutch alignment. IE if you have several shims behind the clutch you can't just flip the spacer, the bolt is to short, you have to use the big washer. This is why it works for some people and not others

J
Dec 21, 2021
Kipawa
Why would you take off the secondary or any of the bolts just to pull the belt? I dont get that. Ive not had a newer machine since the 2005 venture im driving now but if something has changed over my 50years ive never removed the secondary clutch or the primary to change belts. You just need to pull the belt off a bit on top of the secondary and roll it backwards and the belt slides off. You do the samething in reverse to put it back on.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Why would you take off the secondary or any of the bolts just to pull the belt? I dont get that. Ive not had a newer machine since the 2005 venture im driving now but if something has changed over my 50years ive never removed the secondary clutch or the primary to change belts. You just need to pull the belt off a bit on top of the secondary and roll it backwards and the belt slides off. You do the samething in reverse to put it back on.
Fairly old thread here, but things have changed a bit. 2005-2006 was about the last model years I could change a belt with ease without tools. Secondary clutch designs changed from having torsion springs that you could easily open the sheaves by hand with a little pressure, a twist and pull the belt out. Now they all use very stiff compression springs that grip the belt so tight that you can't just roll them on and off. I could get it done on my 2014 without tools, but I'm a big guy and it was a struggle.

We don't actually have to totally remove the clutch to change the belts. Just use the bolt that's holding it to the jackshaft to thread in and open up the sheaves for us a little bit to be able to work the belt off and back on. The most recent secondary designs have threaded holes in the outer sheave, and use a threaded L-shaped tool from the tool kit to screw in and push the inner sheave open. No removal of bolts required.

Premium Features